Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

S-H wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:00 am Image
You're not the man I married.
r99c wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:12 am It's been a while but have made another order online last night.

Partly as Summer is around the corner and partly as GCRO needs cheering up :rofl:

At last. Some sanity in a sea of madness. :clap:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Was on beer for the first time yonks last night (usually a wino). Nothing original but I'd forgotten how good Staropramen is. Had 5 reminders...
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

vietnammer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:00 am Nothing original but I'd forgotten how good Staropramen is. Had 5 reminders...
More than likely brewed under license. The stuff you get in the Czech Republic is much much better. The stuff brewed over here is (in my opinion) vile and worthy of only being chucked down the sink.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:28 pm More than likely brewed under license. The stuff you get in the Czech Republic is much much better. The stuff brewed over here is (in my opinion) vile and worthy of only being chucked down the sink.
Totally agree mate - vile stuff.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:25 am "Wine - the working classes champagne!" ;)

I had a few bottles last week. I like German wines, so I did a bottle of Mosel, Hock and Reisling throughout the week for a change.A Nice change from a pinot or similar.
What type of Riesling Indy? Can’t go wrong with a German or Alsace Riesling, they’re amazing!
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

I bought some Pastis which is lovely.

Really nice on its own with a bit of water.
Eastcote
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Eastcote »

Hobgoblin tried ruby and gold not much to write home about.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

vietnammer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:00 am Was on beer for the first time yonks last night (usually a wino). Nothing original but I'd forgotten how good Staropramen is. Had 5 reminders...
Ditto...I did 5 last night as well.

It's not amazing but more than drinkable.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Glad someone agrees with me, not like them Phillingstines above
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

To my surprise, Newcastle train station has a thoroughly excellent craft beer and other imported beer shop. Picked myself up a bottle of
- La Trappe dubbel
- Weiheinstephaner original weissen
- Wey-Aye PA

Absolute load of other good stuff though. Superb shop.
badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by badabing »

r99c wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:21 pm To my surprise, Newcastle train station has a thoroughly excellent craft beer and other imported beer shop. Picked myself up a bottle of
- La Trappe dubbel
- Weiheinstephaner original weissen
- Wey-Aye PA

Absolute load of other good stuff though. Superb shop.
Don`t know why but that`s amused me
"Wey-Aye pet I`ll have a pint of Wey-Aye"
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Heads up Belgian Beer fans,Lidl doing some stuff starting tomorrow-Leute Bokbier,Archivist Blond,Bornem Blond,Cuvée des Trolls pale ale. 4x330ml £6. I think I’ll give em a whirl.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Arnold Layne wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:12 pm Heads up Belgian Beer fans,Lidl doing some stuff starting tomorrow-Leute Bokbier,Archivist Blond,Bornem Blond,Cuvée des Trolls pale ale. 4x330ml £6. I think I’ll give em a whirl.
The Leute Bokbier and the Bornem Blond are both brewed by Van Steenberge who brew Gulden Draak range which is a seriously heavy duty beer and really nice too. The Archivist Blond is specially brewed for Lidl's in a Collaboration with Brouwerij De Brabandere who are a pretty decent Belgian brewer. The Curvee des Trolls stuff is also pretty decent too so I'd recommend these, purely on the brewers.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

r99c wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:12 am It's been a while but have made another order online last night.

Partly as Summer is around the corner and partly as GCRO needs cheering up :rofl:

This ANIMATOR doppelbock is the absolute b*llocks.

Massively recommended if you like toffee/caramel malt flavours.
Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne »

I’d rather have a Caramac :winker:
Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne »

Tried the Bornem blonde last night really nice beer,also had the Cuvée des Trolls you’d never guess it was a 7% beer,really good,light flavour proper lively when you pop the cap…
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:36 pm Golden ale really is an anomaly when it comes to English beer. I'm convinced it was introduced to try and entice lager drinkers into drinking a top fermented ale that looked like lager. Sadly there's very very few that really cut the mustard. As a rule of thumb I tend to avoid it in the main. Notable exceptions are the Fuller's Honey Dew, St. Peter's Brewery Gold Ale and Adnam's Lighthouse. Sadly the UK struggles with brewing with light coloured beers (couple of exceptions in the Sam Smith's Organic Lager and the C84 Yorkshrie Lager) but apart form that, not much else IMO.

If you really want a decent top fermented golden ale with the drinkability of a lager go for Kölsch from Cologne, the Fruh stuff is available over here and it's great.
I had a couple of bottles of Morland's Old Golden Hen a few years ago and I found it very good. It inspired the colour (if not the flavour) of my IPA (100% Maris Otter malt)... somewhere between lager and pale ale, and my SMASH (single malt and single hop) with Maris Otter and Pacific Jade (including dry hopping) which was a successful experiment... called Pacific Smash. Only ever did 1 batch of 800 litres...
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:27 pm I had a couple of bottles of Morland's Old Golden Hen a few years ago and I found it very good. It inspired the colour (if not the flavour) of my IPA (100% Maris Otter malt)... somewhere between lager and pale ale, and my SMASH (single malt and single hop) with Maris Otter and Pacific Jade (including dry hopping) which was a successful experiment... called Pacific Smash. Only ever did 1 batch of 800 litres...
I tend to find beer with Maris Otter to be of high quality, especially if (as you have done) using 100% of the stuff. That's virtually unheard of in most commercial brewers as it's quite expensive apparently.

I have mixed views on the term "IPA" when used for beer. In my opinion the only true IPAs are English style IPAs that use English hops. I think the yanks have bastardised the term to the point where the term in meaningless and any style of beer can (and does!) be termed as an IPA.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Butty Bach Wye valley brewery its in Morrisons lovely stuff a few more bottles to be sunk tonight.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Bottle of very cold Hock. Going down a treat.