Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Re: Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Post by bonzosbeard »

Wembley1966 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:49 am One of my favourite summer Adnams beers. They stopped brewing it a few years ago but to celebrate their 150th anniversary, they did a vote to bring back one of their back-catalogue beers for this season and Spindrift won:
https://adnams.co.uk/products/spindrift-cans

I'm enjoying a pint of Adnams Ghost Ship right now in spoons £1.50 a pint.

Dorchester branch were doing Doom bar at 99p during week but unfortunately I was working.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Joyeux Marteau wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:40 pm Coopers is immense.

I think Waitrose sell it, or at least they did.
If ever you see a beer with Cascade hops, be really wary. It's rare there's a good beer with Cascade hops in the brewsheet. Usually found in pale ales, IPAs and Golden Ales.
Arnold Layne wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:37 am Edit: turns out it was Coopers Sparkling Ale
That's vile stuff. A really terrible beer devoid of any redeeming features.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1862 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

I'll probably be excommunicated by GCRO for this but I've found that I quite like Skinny IPA, only 89 calories per can
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:16 am If ever you see a beer with Cascade hops, be really wary. It's rare there's a good beer with Cascade hops in the brewsheet. Usually found in pale ales, IPAs and Golden Ales.
Really? Can think of a few beers I like with Cascade hops. Had a Hop Head yesterday and it was very good. And just having one of the Siren Time Hop series which they brewed with Sierra Nevada and it's great.

https://www.sirencraftbrew.com/item/863 ... scade.html
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

EugeneSpeed wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:00 pm Really? Can think of a few beers I like with Cascade hops. Had a Hop Head yesterday and it was very good. And just having one of the Siren Time Hop series which they brewed with Sierra Nevada and it's great.

https://www.sirencraftbrew.com/item/863 ... scade.html
Each to their own mate. Hop Head didn't really do it for me, far better beers from Fuller's out there in my opinion. Cascade might work in American style IPAs and Pale Ales but in English beers (especially golden ales) it really doesn't work for me.

Review here if you're interested

r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Old Speckled Hen out of cans last night. Just really nice, heaps of caramel malt, a very nice flavour.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

r99c wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:00 am Old Speckled Hen out of cans last night. Just really nice, heaps of caramel malt, a very nice flavour.
That'd mainly be brewing syrup your tasting mate. Greene King dump it in almost all their beers. I'm not a fan to be honest.
r99c

Post by r99c »

Must be my sweet tooth. Seems to work in that but find it disgusting when I have a cheap lager which is all sweet.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:16 am If ever you see a beer with Cascade hops, be really wary. It's rare there's a good beer with Cascade hops in the brewsheet. Usually found in pale ales, IPAs and Golden Ales.
I made a special point of avoiding Cascade Chinook and Citra in my IPA: First Gold, Target, East kent golding and Pacific Jade (incl. for dry hopping).
Loverly.
Maris Otter pale ale malt.
Here is a rough translation of the only review I got:

English ipa of 6.1% abv, unfiltered, unpasteurised, refermented.
Malt Maris Otter, and no less than 4 hops in the program: 2 English with target and east Kent golding, an American first gold and a New Zealander pacific jade. So no jealousy and a good balance of bitter and aromatic. In addition, the brewer has practiced dry hopping.
Format 50 cl. My copy was 3 months before its date.
The colour is an apricot orange, with a very slight diaphanous veil.
Fine bubbles, everywhere, very bright.
Thick white foam, with very fine flakes, stable at 12 mm.
Aromas of malt, oats, lime blossom, grey bread, white berries.
Supple first taste, with a very nice start of cara malt and traditional Kent hops.
Long aftertaste, both fine and powerful.
The second mouthfeel has a great malt/hop combination, in the purest English style.
The aftertaste is spicier than the first, but very fine.
3rd where the texture becomes more velvety, and the palate on toasted malt and hops.
Aftertaste with a more incisive bitterness, a little spicy.
Length with lots of malt, but the malt/hop balance is restored and very particular to England. You think you've walked into a 19th century London pub.
Oily, long legs.
Sweet yeast, fine, a little spicy, very nice line.
Alcohol stronger than its level, it can't stand to be contradicted and controls everything.
Finishes in the myth of the old ipa.
CONCLUSION: The strength of this beer is that it takes you back to the origins of india pale ale, as it was practised at a time and even in a century you will never be able to place again, the 19th century. She introduces you to the myths of ipa, which you can discover on the internet, failing to return to the great century of its discovery... But beware, she is a formidable force, and does not allow you to laugh at her rich past! Toulouse is very lucky to have an English brewer able to brew like this...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

That sounds like a great pint (not sure about the "oily long legs" though! :crylol: )

Also good to see someone brewing English IPA which is really the only true style of IPA and not some abomination of a fruit cocktail that the yanks are doing.

I recall that your company was bought out - is it still brewing and more importantly, how hard is it to get hold of? Reason I ask is that I'm convinced that the French can't brew beer. I've yet to have a decent one - I'm sure there must be at least one out there! The ones I've tried have been abysmal. Some people have mentioned 3 Monts being reasonable but I've not tried any of their stuff yet.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:25 pm That sounds like a great pint (not sure about the "oily long legs" though! :crylol: )

Also good to see someone brewing English IPA which is really the only true style of IPA and not some abomination of a fruit cocktail that the yanks are doing.

I recall that your company was bought out - is it still brewing and more importantly, how hard is it to get hold of? Reason I ask is that I'm convinced that the French can't brew beer. I've yet to have a decent one - I'm sure there must be at least one out there! The ones I've tried have been abysmal. Some people have mentioned 3 Monts being reasonable but I've not tried any of their stuff yet.
Was bought out but Covid/lockdown struck and the buyer had to rationalise his production. Now things are bouncing back, we'll give it another go, although with the increase in cereal/hop prices....
I'll keep you posted!
r99c

Post by r99c »

Just had a trip onto Beers Of Europe to purchase 8 x 500ml Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest Maerzens and 8 x 500ml of Ayinger's take on it. Roll on the delivery driver.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

'Appy 'Ammer wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:18 am Just spent a few days in Belgium. Their beers are super strong
I remember going to Belgium on a business trip when I was 25 and a raging alcoholic.

Underestimated the power of the Leffe the first night i got there and had to excuse myself from the first ten mins of the meeting the next day to go and puke up

The ultimate professional

Halcyon days
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'll be honest, I'm a bit crap at all this taste malarkey. If I taste a beer, any beer, then I usually conclude that it tastes a bit beery.

I'm the same with wine.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Which is obviously great during these tough times as it means I can drink any old crap.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Another Belgium Beer story.

When I was a very young man - late teens - I went on a day trip to Belgium by boat with my mates. We were on the lash on the boat and drunk all kinds of stuff. We got to Belgium (can't remember where) and piled straight into the first backstreet bar we could find.

We plonked ourselves on bar stools and told the barman we wanted some of this Belgium Monk's beer, as we heard it's right strong. When he served it up in halfpint glasses and he said he didn't sell it in pints as it was very strong. Oh how we laughed in his face.

We spent a good few hours there knocking back all kinds of stuff, chatting and drinking. We paid up, left the bloke a decent tip and started moaning that this beer wasn't that strong at all.

I got up from the bar stool and promptly fell on the floor. My legs didn't work - and it wasn't pins and needles from the time spent at the bar either- they were just gone. My mates were really wobbly too! The owner sat us down, fed us black coffee for quite a while and eventually we were good to go.

We showed Belgium beer much respect afer that!
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

I’ll probably be frowned upon by the beer connoisseurs for this, but I’ve recently started to get into drinking IPAs, having been a lager drinker since my teenage years.

I’m really enjoying some of Brewdogs fruity offerings - Elvis juice & Hazy Jane Guava.

Got a few kegs of Elvis Juice for my perfect draft machine in the man cave. Going down a treat.

Can anyone recommend anything similar I could try?
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

I like Hobgoblin IPA, try that.
Stevey
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Stevey »

PlaistowIron wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:24 pm I’ll probably be frowned upon by the beer connoisseurs for this, but I’ve recently started to get into drinking IPAs, having been a lager drinker since my teenage years.

I’m really enjoying some of Brewdogs fruity offerings - Elvis juice & Hazy Jane Guava.

Got a few kegs of Elvis Juice for my perfect draft machine in the man cave. Going down a treat.

Can anyone recommend anything similar I could try?
Just had a nose at the perfect draft kegs and I would say if you want to stick with the fruitier IPA’s go with Tiny Rebel’s Club Tropicana, Vocation’s Life & Death or Thornbridge’s Jaipur.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

I’ve tried the club Tropicana in a can, it’s decent.

Will try the others too, thanks 👍