Ben Johnson

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by Mullhull »

As per the front page. Number 2 shirt.

Isn't he due a new deal too?

Also....

Areola

Johnson - Zouma - Aguerd - Cress

Soucek - Downes - Rice

Bowen - Antonio - Fornals

For me currently.
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

I thought he did pretty well today. His long term future will be at centre back.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I thought he played well.

But for Areola's rush of blood we're probably going in 0-0 at half time, which against City is no mean feat.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

He's set to be in that team all season. I actually think he played better than Zouma this afternoon.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Yeah I’d play him every game as well.

Can’t stand the clamour to buy players, much prefer to see them brought on.

I think he carries the ball much better than Zouma who seems to have been told to give a quick short pass as soon as he gets the ball.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

alantaylorsleftfoot wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:03 pm I thought he did pretty well today. His long term future will be at centre back.
I think he’ll be a not quite a RB/not quite a CB but able to do well enough in both positions. A great asset to have on the books and an example of why i’d rather try out a few academy products to test their ability rather than shipping them out on useless loans
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Not good enough, get rid
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Metal Hammer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:05 pm Not good enough, get rid
Troll. He was up against arguably the best team in world football, with the best passer in world football (no argument) feeding the ball into one of the best young strikers in the world with the fastest acceleration of any top end striker in world football.he was playing out of position in a weak defence. He didn’t look out of place . City, DeBruyne and Haaland will destroy teams and ruin defenders.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I'm not a huge johnson fan but thought he did quite well today. He pinged some great balls out wide in the 2nd half, much better than when he plays FB
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

D C wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:02 pm I think he’ll be a not quite a RB/not quite a CB but able to do well enough in both positions. A great asset to have on the books and an example of why i’d rather try out a few academy products to test their ability rather than shipping them out on useless loans
He is certainly a very useful squad asset. Clear he can pretty much cover all across the back 4.

Whilst he did well today I remain to be convinced though he will be a starter at any of the positions but if it is to be then CB might be it. For me it plays more to his strength which is defending and he certainly brings decent pace to the role.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I don’t think he’s tall enough to be a CB in a back two, or good enough on the ball to be a full-back/wing-back, but his best position will be RCB in a back three. Whether we end up going with that formation I’m not sure, but either way he’ll be a decent squad player, but possibly not a regular PL starter.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

I’m a big fan. Can see him nailing down a full back spot this season. Could be either side, depending on recruitment.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

has he signed a new contract yet ? if not we need to tie him down for 5 years as he is a good player . decent yesterday. decent at left back and right back. whats not to like. oh and hes one of our own !
bracknellhammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by bracknellhammer »

I thought he looked more comfortable in the middle. Considering he had one of the most lethal strikers in football to contend with, I thought he did ok
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Metal Hammer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:05 pm Not good enough, get rid
😆

I thought he did very well considering he'd been asked to play at Centre Half at the last minute against that opposition. He feels like one of those type of players you could trust to do a job in many areas of the pitch defensively. But for me, he's still a quality full back on either flank and would prefer to see him out there, doing what he does best.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Peaches wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:09 pm Troll.
Indeed it was tongue in cheek :)
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

Thought he was the only player that came out and had a good game even with playing out of position against City
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I’m certainly intrigued to see a bit more of him at CB actually. When he does get forward at full back his crossing is pretty bad but his all round defensive play has always been sound. Caught out with that pass but that’s what great players are able to do.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

He’s just a very good defender, wherever he plays.

The question is whether that’s enough in 2022 to forge a career as a starter at a PL club. He’s got the passing issue at full back and the height issue at CB complicating the answer to that question.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Very good game yesterday. Looked composed. Maybe his best position.