Ben Johnson

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

I love Cress but I think johnston as more awareness about him when players are behind him, I wish I couid combine the two as cress is great at crosses and set pieces, and johnston quick at getting back. :newthumb:
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Better delivery from him tonight.

Don't agree with people saying he doesn't ever put a foot wrong (his passing at times is dire) or that he's better than Cresswell (our top player for assists over the last few years, and one of our few genuinely left-footed, left-sided players), but after the first 20 minutes yesterday that was the best performance I've seen from him.

He's got plenty of time to become the finished article - we don't need to pretend he's Maldini right now.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Ben was immense last night. I’ve said for a while this lad has everything we need and we need to get behind him as he develops with us. Two footed, strong, good header, and fast. He’ll make mistakes but he is still learning. His mistakes are already becoming rare.

Even though he is two footed he is more right footed and more comfortable crossing with his right foot, so I think his most natural position is RB. He doesn’t whip the ball in from the left like Cresswell does which is such a weapon for us.

Coufal and Ben makes for a tough choice but a good one. Credit to Ben that he can also cover LB when needed.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

RaddyKovac wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:41 am Better delivery from him tonight.

Don't agree with people saying he doesn't ever put a foot wrong (his passing at times is dire) or that he's better than Cresswell (our top player for assists over the last few years, and one of our few genuinely left-footed, left-sided players), but after the first 20 minutes yesterday that was the best performance I've seen from him.

He's got plenty of time to become the finished article - we don't need to pretend he's Maldini right now.
He's class. We should be proud of him. Fact of the matter is he is a right back and has absolutely saved us at times over the last couple of years, playing out of position on the other side of the pitch ahead of left-sided players like Arthur.

His passing has improved game by game, and he is just a clean sheet magnet. If anything he goes under the radar a bit because we also happen to have a boy come out of our academy at the same time who is the best in the world.

Ben Johnson, he's one of our own. :hamm:
Al Fisti
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

He's better than Aaron ans should now be the first choice on left defender position.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:39 am He's class. We should be proud of him. Fact of the matter is he is a right back and has absolutely saved us at times over the last couple of years, playing out of position on the other side of the pitch ahead of left-sided players like Arthur.

His passing has improved game by game, and he is just a clean sheet magnet. If anything he goes under the radar a bit because we also happen to have a boy come out of our academy at the same time who is the best in the world.

Ben Johnson, he's one of our own. :hamm:
I'm not taking anything away from him. I just think it's important not to get carried away, and also not to write off a loyal servant who has filled a former problem position for us for years.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Even though I know that he’s right footed….if I had simply watched his performances for us without that information I’d be convinced he was a better left back than right back.

Seems much happier to progress the ball, get forward and take players on when he starts on the left. Slightly bizarre. Maybe confidence? Defensively he’s solid on both sides.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

one thing is for sure we need to get him signed to a new 5 year contract before the vultures start circlinga 22 year old english player who can play both LB and RB plus he can defend !

new contracts for johnson rice and bowen are required in the summer ! could he make the england squad as a covering player ?

3 hammers in a WC squad means one thing !
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

hammerman11 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:30 am one thing is for sure we need to get him signed to a new 5 year contract before the vultures start circlinga 22 year old english player who can play both LB and RB plus he can defend !

new contracts for johnson rice and bowen are required in the summer ! could he make the england squad as a covering player ?

3 hammers in a WC squad means one thing !
Interesting for Ben, he’s got more chance of international honours at LB than RB. The WC will come too soon for him but no reason he shouldn’t be in contention after that
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

westlondonhammer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:17 am He was absolutely on it last night...a proper performance

I'm wrestling with whether he is actually a better left back than right back...either way, we have a player here
At which point does 'is Ben Johnson a left or right back?' become as hot a topic as where Diamanti's best position is?
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

hammer1975 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:13 am Even though I know that he’s right footed….if I had simply watched his performances for us without that information I’d be convinced he was a better left back than right back.

Seems much happier to progress the ball, get forward and take players on when he starts on the left. Slightly bizarre. Maybe confidence? Defensively he’s solid on both sides.
Maybe he knows he is a bit predictable on the right... but less so on the left and so more confident to try things?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

He seems better over on the left, than at RB. Solid performance from young Ben
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

He's clearly a right back. He isn't better at left back despite playing well yesterday.

He should be our first choice right back now in my opinion.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Absolutely brilliant before our second goal
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

fjthegrey wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:40 am He's clearly a right back. He isn't better at left back despite playing well yesterday.

He should be our first choice right back now in my opinion.
Agreed and he was before injury. Let him and Coufal fight it out next season and sign another LB
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

BBC I player at the moment if anyone wants to see how our boy gets on at left back for England u21s.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Johnson just played a big part in England’s goal. Over the top through ball from left back. I genuinely believe he’s better there, his right foot gives a unique outlet from that position.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Near enough everytime I see him play at Left Back I'm usually impressed with how he goes about his business playing that role. I know its unorthodox and tend to go for a left footed Left Back but I'm tempted for us to a do a Paolo Maldini on him and give him the 1st team position with Cresswell as his back up for next season. I know it won't sit well with others preferring a more orthodox Left footed player playing there but I'm not fussed which foot he is primarily better with just as long as ge defends well and supports getting up the wing. If he honestly feels comfortable playing there and peforms then I'm relaxed with him doing so. If it's also true the England manager for the U21s trusts playing him there and he plays well, then there may be something to it for us for next season. If it didn't quite work out then we so always have experienced head Cresswell to come in and do a good enough job there still. I'm open minded about it should we not find a suitable upgrade there in the window.

I also wouldn't want to shift Coufal out the side at Right Back when fit as I do see him as our decent better Right Back right now out of the two mentioned.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

BigFatSam wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:24 pm Johnson just played a big part in England’s goal. Over the top through ball from left back. I genuinely believe he’s better there, his right foot gives a unique outlet from that position.
And just as I type all that out....

Anyone got a link to the match online?