A place to call home: where next?

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Re: A place to call home: where next?

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Jennings wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:27 pm I’ve previously lived in Ayrshire, Devonshire, Oxfordshire, North Yorkshire, Humberside, Aberdeenshire, Herefordshire & Wiltshire.
Whereabouts in Herefordshire? I lived in Hereford itself. Still get back sometimes.
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:30 am Whereabouts in Herefordshire? I lived in Hereford itself. Still get back sometimes.
Leominster.

It got a bad rap for being rough but I loved it.

Whilst you were in Hereford did you ever get yourself to the Crystal Rooms? For a night out it was better than the Hacienda!
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I used to work at The Rooms. I was a cloakroom attendant and glass collector around 1998 to 1999. Dance one night and pop the next was never my scene!
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:14 am I'm looking at moving out of the capital to Nottingham in the next year.

I'm thinking Beeston - but does anyone know what it's like or can recommend some areas around the city to take a look at?
Any update mate?
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

I used to date a lady in Eaton near Harby nice and rural not far from Nottingham loved the area.
HarlowHammer

Post by HarlowHammer »

I dont know if this is the right place or not as I haven't been on in a while, but does anyone know of any Sydney based Irons here? Did there used to be an International Hammers thread or something like that, I cant find it.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers. :hamm:
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

Jennings wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:33 am Leominster.

It got a bad rap for being rough but I loved it.
Leominster has gone up in the world since I moved there! I am still hoping to bump into Jarrod Bowen. He was at the leisure centre there last summer and still has regular contact with his Leominster mates.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:14 am I'm looking at moving out of the capital to Nottingham in the next year.

I'm thinking Beeston - but does anyone know what it's like or can recommend some areas around the city to take a look at?
Yeah sorry, I could have advised on this but missed the post. Depends what kind of area you want to live in - personally I don't think Beeston is very nice, I'm more of a village person. Burton Joyce is very nice and a short train journey (10 to 15 mins) away from Nottingham. House prices there are generally higher as a result. There's lots of other really nice small villages nearby too like Lambley, Woodborough, Oxton, Thurgaton, etc etc. If you want to live in and around the actual city then I'm probably not much help as I find all areas to be much of a muchness. I live in Burton Joyce myself... it has a nice village feel to it, surrounded by nice countryside - but I know I'm only a very short drive away from Nottingham, and only 5 minutes away from a large retail park and supermarket. It has a low crime rate (or at least I never hear about much) and the local school has a good reputation if that matters. It's also a large enough village that there are enough local amenities to satisfy basic needs... ie a Co-op, a doctors, a dentist, a chemists, and a post office,
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Leominster is a massive sh*t house.
Disco_1
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Disco_1 »

HarlowHammer wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:13 pm I dont know if this is the right place or not as I haven't been on in a while, but does anyone know of any Sydney based Irons here? Did there used to be an International Hammers thread or something like that, I cant find it.

Any help appreciated.

Hi mate,
Melbourne based myself. Have been to Sydney numerous times. Were you looking for advice on different areas to live??
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

ereford ammer wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:42 pm Leominster has gone up in the world since I moved there! I am still hoping to bump into Jarrod Bowen. He was at the leisure centre there last summer and still has regular contact with his Leominster mates.
Is the big Cadbury factory still on the edge of town? My friend’s dad worked there for years.
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

Tenbury wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:45 pm Leominster is a massive sh*t house.
Says man from Tenbury Wells ..... the only town in Britain where the population still wet themselves with excitement because .......wait for it..... they got a new Tesco a decade ago. :lol:

Place is so boring, just seems like everyone there is waiting to die.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

At least some of them have an IQ that runs into double figures.

[as they say in 'Lemner'.... 'Bob's your Uncle..... and probably your Dad.' ]
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Hereford FC are down the road. Phoenix club of Hereford United. They’ve lost their way in recent seasons but the ground is full of history and the city quite pretty.

Worth a trip down to A49 to entertain yourself.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Anyone got experience (good or bad) with Newcastle/Teeside/Middlesbrough?

We as a family are considering moving out of Plymouth in the next couple of years - it’s not as cheap as it once was to buy here, and the city is slowly dying culturally and in terms of the high street. Wage/living disparity is getting stupid as well, so we’re looking at moving right up to the other end of the country where it seems you can get a lot more for your money, and there’s more going on.

I’m keen to hear opinions!
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Middlesborogh: I visited there a year or so ago and the town centre was as rough as fook. Loud shouty peope, prison like india ink tattoos everywhere for both men and women, definately an air of hostility throughout. I went in M&S for a cup of tea and thought I was on a prison wing. I loathed it.

Move to Lovely Lincoln. I, for one, can vouch for it. Most areas are decent, houses are reasonably priced - my sister lives in Plymouth and I looked at moving there: you'll get more bang for buck here.

Down side: It's quiet, fairly parochial, buses stop an 9:30 pm and the culture side is a bit limited.

Oh and UTJ lives here too :) That's a plus btw :)
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I hated Middlesbrough when I visited. It had a bad vibe in general and there’s not much going on. Areas can be cheap for a reason (nobody wants to live there.)

My eventual move will be South Wales but only when I’m ready to wind down a notch. It can be slow as anything and getting around is difficult.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The North East is not for you.

Middlesborough is dog rough, a ***** hole, poor for work opportunties, and the work is generally low paid where available.

Teeside, again, poor job prospects, low paid. Yarm is the posh town and is where the Boro footballers live. Pretentious wine bars, that sort of thing.

Newcastle- great city, but again, crap for work.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Does it depend on the nature of your work? Some industries are best in London whilst if you’re a Solicitor or medical worker then there’s surely jobs everywhere?

I expected a daily commute to Chester or Liverpool but found a job 20 minutes walk away.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Simon is a very good tattooist, I'm sure he'll be good for work wherever he lives.