A place to call home: where next?

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 253 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Re: A place to call home: where next?

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Etherington12, I did have a long look at Braintree as an option before I found my place, little bit further out than Billericay but cheaper...bit longer than an hour from East London though.

My criteria was similar, so also looked at Great Dunmow and even over to Ware and Hertford before deciding that where I am now is pretty good....just over an hour to the old dear in Harold Wood, same to my sister in Norfolk and and similar into central London by train.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

500K for a two bed terrace, Doc! There was me thinking people were overspending on our place in East Ham… It went for 365. You’d get so much more for your money elsewhere.

I’m single with few family members left so I moved without anyone else to consider. City were the only reason I went back to Manchester (the train travel from London was too much) and now I’ve relinquished my season ticket.

I’ve got a number of good friendships where we tend to pick up from where we left off regardless and the good local pubs near me have been gold for new mates. I’m also mortgage free now which is a huge weight off for a 41 year old.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Paid for the area Jim.

I hope that Cheshire and being mortgage free brings you some peace. Be nice to meet up if you got to our game at City or if you’re ever down here. Remember seeing you in the Queens and up there with fondness 👍
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I'm thinking of relocating to the other end of town so I can walk to the pub again.

Other than that, nah, I'm settled-ish now, Brentwood is grotty these days but to be fair a chunk of that is down to me.

I had thought of Norwich but I'm simply too lazy and can't be arsed.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:31 pm Brentwood is grotty these days but to be fair a chunk of that is down to me.
When my family moved out to Dagenham/Hornchurch when I was younger, Brentwood was always seen as really nice. What's changed PP?

After buying my old dear her bungalow, I'm hoping I can scrape together enough for a flat for easy commute into East London so Brentwood was on my radar.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

It's still nice mate. Perhaps less annoying now that Towie is becoming an ugly memory.
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

Cheers Ron. Good to know as some decent and well priced apartments are coming up there in my searches.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Etherington12 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:51 amRayleigh/Wickford/Maldon but really need to try find an area were set on.
Rayleigh's nice, I used to live there but wouldn't go back because of the traffic issues. If you do and use the roads, you will need to be patient. Wickford's even worse. Maldon was quiet until ten years or so ago but is also steadily expanding.

If I were in your shoes I'd be looking further out (well, I did) - you'll get better value for money too.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

DrVenk wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:37 pm When my family moved out to Dagenham/Hornchurch when I was younger, Brentwood was always seen as really nice. What's changed PP?
It's simply getting overcrowded, I look out at the back garden every day just to check they haven't started building a block of flats on it.

The whole town changed the day they slapped the Sainsburys in the Town Centre. Traffic queues all along the Ongar road, and down Warley Hill going up to Kings road. Ingrave road the same.

Brook st roundabout ? Can take 20 mins to get on and off.

The big plus remains a good service on the rattler going in to London, otherwise, it's not great.

Too many people, not enough variety on the high st, doormen on pub doors, the odd stabbing here and there.

Basically it's Romford with a bit more greenery.
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:19 pm Basically it's Romford with a bit more greenery.
Eeek. Hmmm. I'm going to spend a day up there and check it out. Thanks Pinky.
Up the Junction wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:42 pm If I were in your shoes I'd be looking further out (well, I did) - you'll get better value for money too.
Trying to get a bungalow 5 mile radius around Cold Norton/Purleigh. The prices are a joke. Having to look at Burnham-on-Crouch, which I find quite nice, to get something within budget and close to family.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

DrVenk wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:28 pm Trying to get a bungalow 5 mile radius around Cold Norton/Purleigh. The prices are a joke. Having to look at Burnham-on-Crouch, which I find quite nice, to get something within budget and close to family.
That's because there's barely any there. Unless you fancy going to Ferrers.

Burnham was great 20 years ago (we were close to going there). So many new developments there now - and only one road in and out. But you do have a rail line.
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:38 pm That's because there's barely any there. Unless you fancy going to Ferrers.
My cretinous Gloucester lot hailed from there. Hate the place. A nasty underworld there.
Up the Junction wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:38 pm Burnham was great 20 years ago (we were close to going there). So many new developments there now - and only one road in and out. But you do have a rail line.
That winding road from Althorne into Burnham is effing dangerous. Actually that whole road is. And rail connection definitely in my thinking here :newthumb:
Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron »

Lols. Sainsbury's must have been there for 40 years.

As for the Brook St roundabout, just don't go that way. Ever.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:38 pm So many new developments there now - and only one road in and out.
Sounds exactly like where I'm living now. You really have to plan getting into and out of town now. Forget it when them money-sapping little parasites are being dropped off to school in mummy's 4x4. Thank f*** for motorbikes and filtering.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:39 am Chose Brampton (Near Huntingdon) as it's relatively easy drives to family, work and the train takes me into central London in just over an hour.
Looks lovely, AGxM. Welcome back to Blighty!
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Etherington12 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:51 am Hi all
I have slowly read through most of this thread as I'm in the process of looking at areas for a potential move in the next year or so. Currently live in Rainham, Essex and been here for 7 years with two younguns 6 and 2 and the Mrs.
Had our fair share of incidents like a failed break in and a knife fight on the drive barring that it's treated us well :lol: , the boy is relatively happy in primary school but will be leaving his infant school next year so looking at this as a time to move as we want a better choice of secondary schools and a quieter environment as we are on a pretty main road at the moment.
We have been looking at Billericay (though this could well exceed our price range as we are probably looking at 500K max) and the surrounding areas and some areas such as Rayleigh/Wickford/Maldon but really need to try find an area were set on. I work all around Essex and East London so aslong as East London is reachable in around an hour for the grandparents were open to exploring anywhere.
Any areas people can reccomend?
We moved to Wickford in September and are really enjoying it. Find the people here are a friendly bunch.

All kids settled into schools which I must say have been brilliant. Both secondary schools here are highly rated by ofsted, 1 good, the other outstanding. The high street has everything you need and runs a lovely market on Saturdays.

Plenty of greenery and parks for the kids. A good choice of pubs and restaurants. 30 mins direct to Stratford on the train too 👍

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, I think it’s fantastic here and there is still some good value for money to be found.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:42 pm Rayleigh's nice, I used to live there but wouldn't go back because of the traffic issues. If you do and use the roads, you will need to be patient. Wickford's even worse.
The problem with the roads in Wickford is there's only 2 points that cross the railway, one of which is the high st that shuts on Saturdays for the market. That and the fact that the Nevendon road down to the A127 is single carriageway.
DrVenk wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:45 pm
That winding road from Althorne into Burnham is effing dangerous. Actually that whole road is. And rail connection definitely in my thinking here :newthumb:
Be wary Dr V, that rail line that goes through South Woodham Ferrers and through Burham to Southminster is single track, so trains are not so frequent.
Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron »

Venk, Brentwood and the little satellite villages are nice, ditto BIllericay and Chelmsford.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

-DL- wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:37 am After our wee trip to Pembrokeshire week before last, Mrs DL has finally given in and we're going to start looking around in Wales and The Valleys.
Not living far from Wales and having visited it many times I would say you need to be very careful about where you choose to live. The weather is pretty awful (if that kind of thing concerns you). Its far worse on that side of the Bristol Channel than on the English side. Cardiff is one of the wettest cities in the UK and the valleys are even worse. Cardiff is pretty unfriendly while Swansea is much better, the contrast is quite something.

Personally, I would look towards south-west Wales. Pembrokeshire is one of the sunniest parts of Wales and beautiful. The Gower Peninsula (near Swansea) is lovely with some fantastic beaches. I went there once during a heatwave and the beach had white sands and looked like it could be somewhere tropical. It was also nice and quiet too (it was during term time). More towards the east of Wales you have Monmouth, which is nice. I only had a brief visit there but it seemed decent. Then there is Chepstow, which is small but well connected to the motorway.

I suppose it all depends on what you want. Looking at bleak, wet Welsh hillsides is not my thing but for some people it is bliss.
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

sendô wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:00 am Be wary Dr V, that rail line that goes through South Woodham Ferrers and through Burham to Southminster is single track, so trains are not so frequent.
Mega Ron wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:18 am Venk, Brentwood and the little satellite villages are nice, ditto BIllericay and Chelmsford.
Cheers lads. Prices and traffic aside, I'm really looking forward to coming back to Essex.