A place to call home: where next?

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4188 likes
Total likes: 2048 likes

Re: A place to call home: where next?

Post by Shabu »

-DL- wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:13 am
Then you've got Luton Road. Oh dear Lord. Makes Wood Green and Tottenham look tempting. I think you can also add Orion Road Estate in Warren Wood to that too.

St Mary's Island is also ok, a new build private estate on the site of the former dockyard - although it's massively overpriced. Capstone, Hempstead and Wigmore is where the money is. Lordswood, well, that's quite nice too, but from experience of driving a bus through there very often, it's populated by self entitled arse-holes.
I think we were on a bus going down Luton Road (downtown Chatham to the Asda, opposite the little airport) and my Missus was wide eyed - well as wide eyed as she could be - looking at the locals. At one point she leans over and whispers "they all look and dress like ghetto blacks" in shock :grin:

My mum lives in that over priced development on St Mary's Island. There's three levels to it. You can own a flat, or you can rent/government rent, or you're there to die.

They had a good piss up for her 85th birthday the other weekend.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2651 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:21 pm Yeah - the current ****ing seems to be having an impact all the time now. My Head Teacher - who constantly talks about 'live to work' sent me a text on Saturday asking for something that I didn't get to him (I was out with my kids at the time). He sent a follow up at 7am on Sunday morning asking for the same thing. It's ludicrous. And due to Covid, I feel like I now go from doing a fairly decent 8 hours a day, to now doing a pretty rubbish 14 -15 hours a day, because I'm constantly available.

I actually long for a job where I am on the clock to be honest. 8 - 6. Stacking shelves or flipping burgers would do me if I could afford the mortgage with it (I can't). I'm just pissed off with never switching off. And when I do take leave, I constantly live in fear that I've missed something and it's going to come up. I'm more stressed out of work for those reasons than I am in work. I'm genuiny envious of my Dad's generation before mobile phones and e-mail, that when he was done he as done.

Anyway - off-topic but pace of life is definitely something on my agenda right now.
Exactly. A job that I didn’t take home with me.

It is the same with my boss, blighting my weekends due to his piss poor organisation. There are benefits to flexible working, my company seems to get most of them in our relationship.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

Shabu wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:53 pm I think we were on a bus going down Luton Road (downtown Chatham to the Asda, opposite the little airport) and my Missus was wide eyed - well as wide eyed as she could be - looking at the locals. At one point she leans over and whispers "they all look and dress like ghetto blacks" in shock :grin:

My mum lives in that over priced development on St Mary's Island. There's three levels to it. You can own a flat, or you can rent/government rent, or you're there to die.

They had a good piss up for her 85th birthday the other weekend.
If your mum starts glowing in the dark, then that's the waste from the nuclear subs that they used to service there.

Your mum is literally 5 minutes from my front door.
Shabu
Has liked: 4188 likes
Total likes: 2048 likes

Post by Shabu »

-DL- wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:03 pm If your mum starts glowing in the dark, then that's the waste from the nuclear subs that they used to service there.

Your mum is literally 5 minutes from my front door.
She's survived a very abusive childhood, major 3rd degree burns on her neck & chest in her teens, a car accident in which they told her she'd never walk again & she still gets through two boxes of wine a week (in addition to going out with friends & family).

The nuclear waste should be more worried about her :crossed:

My niece lives just west of there in some fancy flats overlooking the river while my sister is on Rochester High Street.

Apparently I can stay there in a flat for 20 quid a night when I'm over so that'll be my base next September when I'm over.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 871 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Luton is a proper ****hole, of that there is absolutely no doubt. My family were born and bred in Chatham and my Dad knew every pub on Luton High Street and that was his manor. He hates what it has become and avoids the area at all cost. Most towns have an area like Luton, a part of town that is hung out to dry and forgotten about, left to fester. It’s dirty, neglected and somewhere i would not feel safe at any time of the day. As someone who lived in North London in the mid 80s, including 12 months in Haringey, I can see the comparison to Tottenham. I lived in the Green Lanes area and even before the infamous Broadwater Farm riot, Tottenham in general was a no go area for me. Happy to go to WHL on match day but otherwise a part of London that genuinely felt like a tinderbox.
I’ve not walked from say, Luton Arches up to the Hen & Chicks pub for God knows how long but whilst I don’t predict a riot, that stretch of Luton High Street certainly used to have a feeling of being not very safe.
For all that though, Kent has its beauty spots too, none more so than the Alkham Valley between Folkestone and Dover. Everywhere has its places of beauty and places you just avoid and Kent is no different.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

I'm looking at moving out of the capital to Nottingham in the next year.

I'm thinking Beeston - but does anyone know what it's like or can recommend some areas around the city to take a look at?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Eastcote wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:29 pm Really everytime? :arry:
???
Dave Hedgehog
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:14 am I'm looking at moving out of the capital to Nottingham in the next year.

I'm thinking Beeston - but does anyone know what it's like or can recommend some areas around the city to take a look at?
I went up to Beeston a few weeks ago as someone offered me a job there. It wasn't for me, but a lot of other people like it. It's right next to the Attenborough Nature Reserve and canal, which are both nice. Good transport links as well.

No offence, but the rest of Nottingham is a bit of a hole though. I go up to Glasgow a fair bit, and I used to live in Liverpool, and both of those cities have really nice bits. As far as I could see, Nottingham doesn't.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:06 am Hen & Chicks pub
Now closed, and awaiting it's fate.

They are starting to regen Luton Road - it's currently closed to traffic whilst they try and make it a bit more traffic friendly and safer - so in other words, it's going to be ****ed...
Chicken Run Supreme

-DL- wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:05 pm Now closed, and awaiting it's fate.

They are starting to regen Luton Road - it's currently closed to traffic whilst they try and make it a bit more traffic friendly and safer - so in other words, it's going to be ****ed...
Another one bites the dust.

Used to be a proper pub crawl along Luton Road, can’t be many left open these days.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

I think there's only one left down there now, but can't remember what it's called.
Chicken Run Supreme

Irish boozer maybe, the Richard Cobden ??
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

That's the (only) one :newthumb:
badgermax
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by badgermax »

Friend of mine traded in their 2 bed tiny flat in Enfield for a 4 bed detached house in Nottingham. They have a much better quality of life now and it’s seems a fairly decent area and their house is well built brick. They’re very very happy with the move.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 445 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

You should always make the right move for you. There wasn’t much work in my field in Manchester back in 2005 so I moved to London and it improved my life opportunity wise.
lewisham-mer
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by lewisham-mer »

Looking to move from Lewisham into mid-Kent

Seen some properties in Sittingbourne and Gillingham but are either way too small or massive and in a lousy location.

Have been advised to avoid Chatham (and driving round there at the weekend I have to agree)

Seen a nice house online in Strood that I’m gonna book a viewing for… there’s a West Ham flag above the bed!

Also looking tomorrow at this little cottage in Shorne: had a look round the outside this evening and seems ideal for little ol’ me. Needs a little work (new windows, fence and lawn from what I could see).
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Looking at moving out of Medway asap. Nice little place we have at the moment, 5 minutes away from Strood, and about 8 minutes from Shorne...
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:14 am I'm looking at moving out of the capital to Nottingham in the next year.

Beeston is nice, Sawley (i lived there) is good too, lots of nice canals & countryside, easy access to Nottingham, which is great, go for it! PM me for advice, as Mrs is local to that area,
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Dave Hedgehog wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:55 pm I went up to Beeston a few weeks ago as someone offered me a job there. It wasn't for me, but a lot of other people like it. It's right next to the Attenborough Nature Reserve and canal, which are both nice. Good transport links as well.

No offence, but the rest of Nottingham is a bit of a hole though. I go up to Glasgow a fair bit, and I used to live in Liverpool, and both of those cities have really nice bits. As far as I could see, Nottingham doesn't.
Having lived there, i beg to differ, there are some lovely places around Nottingham & Derbyshire (which it closely borders)
Jennings
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by Jennings »

I’ve previously lived in Ayrshire, Devonshire, Oxfordshire, North Yorkshire, Humberside, Aberdeenshire, Herefordshire & Wiltshire.

I then plonked my arse down in Somerset in the 90’s and excepting a couple of years in Melbourne I haven’t managed to get up again.

I’ve been in the same house for over quarter of a century now & can’t really see me moving on. I do enjoy change but I also really love where I am.

Everything I need is within walking distance & that includes a theatre, a cinema, independent shops, a railway station and rolling countryside. And a Lidl of course.

There’s not one neighbour in the entire terrace that I’m not on first name terms with (I’m still relatively new round here compared with some of them) and they’re really nice people. I think that’s worth something.

I feel very lucky & very content.