A place to call home: where next?

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Larrakeyah Hammer
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 164 likes

Re: A place to call home: where next?

Post by Larrakeyah Hammer »

HarlowHammer wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:13 pm I dont know if this is the right place or not as I haven't been on in a while, but does anyone know of any Sydney based Irons here? Did there used to be an International Hammers thread or something like that, I cant find it.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers. :hamm:

I live in Australia ( Darwin) I have previously lived in Sydney
Anything can help with happy to 👍
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

WHU Independent wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:32 pmOh and UTJ lives here too :) That's a plus btw :)
That's enough to put anyone off.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:18 pm Anyone got experience (good or bad) with Newcastle/Teeside/Middlesbrough?
If you're moving to this part of the world I would strongly suggest removing Middlesbrough from consideration.

Durham is the nicest town/city in that area in my opinion. Family on my mums side are from Peterlee/Shotton Colliery/Easington area closer to the coast. All grim, awful places. Durham though, is pleasant.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I understand Durham is nice. But, like nice places, you'll pay through the nose for it if popular.

RE: Tattoos. I'm getting one on a week Saturday to celebrate a recent personal issue being resolved.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:21 am If you're moving to this part of the world I would strongly suggest removing Middlesbrough from consideration.
Can I strongly second this sentiment. A number of years ago I had the misfortune of spending a weekend there. At night it is like the walking dead with herds of zombies incoherently stumbling along the streets unclear of their purpose. By day it’s even bleaker.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:26 am I understand Durham is nice. But, like nice places, you'll pay through the nose for it if popular.

RE: Tattoos. I'm getting one on a week Saturday to celebrate a recent personal issue being resolved.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

S-H wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:30 am
I used to proofread for a living. Why didn't you ask me to check the spelling for you? Nice arm btw.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:31 amNice arm btw.
:lover:

Thank you, I have another one just like it.
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

Jennings wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:33 am Leominster.

It got a bad rap for being rough but I loved it.

Whilst you were in Hereford did you ever get yourself to the Crystal Rooms? For a night out it was better than the Hacienda!
There's nothing wrong with Leominster. I am from Ledbury and we had an even worse reputation.

One of my best mates was a bouncer at the Crystal rooms (aka Sticky Carpets) during the 90's / 00's.

Ignore criticism from anyone living in the sheep country to the North. They are just jealous that Herefordshire is famous for beef and they are forever tarred with a reputation for sheep worrying. :winker:
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

We are giving up work at the end of Mach next year and taking early retirement. The plan is to move to Dumfries and Galloway (may be Ayrshire of Fife) and start a smallholding up there. We are over working to make money for someone else and want to go and live a more simple life.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

view from the shires wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:35 am There's nothing wrong with Leominster. I am from Ledbury and we had an even worse reputation.

One of my best mates was a bouncer at the Crystal rooms (aka Sticky Carpets) during the 90's / 00's.

Ignore criticism from anyone living in the sheep country to the North. They are just jealous that Herefordshire is famous for beef and they are forever tarred with a reputation for sheep worrying. :winker:
I worked there for 18 months or so in the late 90’s. Who was your mate? I’ve forgotten all bouncer names so a description is welcome.

You’d have known Clive, Sally and Jason?
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1875 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:26 am I understand Durham is nice. But, like nice places, you'll pay through the nose for it if popular.

old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

To go with your Hereford United one I presume, which I always find a little odd seeing how youve always been die-hard City
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

view from the shires wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:35 am I am from Ledbury and we had an even worse reputation.
Not these days, a pretty decent place to live, good countryside, good transport links.

[ I spent a couple of years killing a 3.5 ton van doing Ledbury><Swaffham 4 days a week.]

Despite the Tenbury /Leominster thing, there are decent places to live in the area, Ledbury/Bromyard/Kington/Ludlow/etc.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 264 likes
Total likes: 231 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Jeez, I guess Boro is a definite swerve then! Tbh, I was always a bit more dubious, but my partner has friends and family up there, which is why it was even a consideration. If you’ve to go that far up, may as well cross the border into Scotland and be done with it - on my very limited excursions to Edinburgh and Glasgow, I loved both. Must be the Celt in me…

Manchester is another consideration, as I’ve friends and family (who admittedly I don’t actually know for the most part) who live in and around that way. I’ve only been twice when I was really young, and a couple of times to Old Trafford/Maine Road as a teenager. Definitely open to the idea, but it’s not as affordable as it was say a decade ago due to general increases and gentrification(?).

The dream for me is to return to South Wales, but again it’s not as cheap as it was when I lived there almost 20 years ago but eh, it’s always felt more like home than anywhere else I’ve lived and I ****ing love the Welsh people.

SH 😘
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:21 pm Image
He mentioned the guy looking at the north east was a tattooist.

I battled depression two years ago and this year I’ve had major surgery on my bowel. Tattoos should be meaningful. But, you know…
shifty
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by shifty »

SPT, I'll try to add some value with the little bits that I know of the NE of England. I don't know your exact circumstances (age, job status, family, budget etc) but will try to hep if possible.
From the places that I've seen you mention...
I don't have any direct experience of Middlesbrough ("the 'Boro") aside from the Riverside and a couple of jaunts to the town briefly. Would concur with the general consensus, it just feels "weird" and I haven't experienced or heard anything that would make me recommend it as a place to live (aside from cheap properties). I did work in nearby Billingham for a few years and that was also a bit odd and Farm Foods, Cool Trader, Poundland, Poundstretcher stores aplenty (if you can read anything specific into that?). It's true what they say about the chemical fog/haze!
I think as others have said, Durham is nice but pricey (relatively). Once out into the Durham (and to a lesser extent the Northumberland) villages it's hit and miss again. Some really nice countryside, peaceful but also some quite 'backwards' places and possibly not the most welcoming places always, ex-mining villages, tend to have largish traveller communities, there was sometimes anti-social behaviour from this (but guess that can happen with any town/city or community).
I lived in Sunderland for a few years. The town itself wasn't great, bit run down but since I left (2019) I understand that they've put quite a bit of investment in to improve it ("Cultural Quarter" etc.). I would probably avoid south of the Wear all together (specifically Hendon, Ford Estate, Pallion, Millfield, Farringdon) although I do understand that they have built some nice new estates out past Silksworth towards the A690/A19.
North of the water avoid Southwick. There are some [very] nice houses in Whitburn and Cleadon on the coast and Fulwell and Seaburn is nice, Roker (the site of the old ground for those on here who a little longer in the tooth!) I would consider too. There is some nice coastline and beaches and pubs/restaurants around. I found the people to be very welcoming. Cost of housing is relatively low.
Newcastle I visited a fair few times. Jesmond and Ponteland way are nice. Avoid Byker, Walker, Benwell, Elswick, Bensham (collectively "the West End") or south of the Tyne water in Dunston/Gateshead.
Northumberland coast can be lovely. Coastal areas such as Tynemouth, Whitley Bay, Blyth etc. can be hit and miss and are probably what you make of them. Have you thought about Hexham inland?

Hope this helps, drop me a message if any specific questions and I'll try to assist.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Manchester is very overpriced now and they’re determined to gentrify it. You’ll get very little value for money. I worshipped the place for years but only, if ever, spend a few hours there when I have to visit. The change is very sad.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1875 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:09 pmI battled depression two years ago and this year I’ve had major surgery on my bowel. Tattoos should be meaningful. But, you know…
Was just a Snug "gag", no harm intended. Sounds like a tough year, hope you're recovery's a success.

As a matter of interest, what ink are you considering?
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:09 pm He mentioned the guy looking at the north east was a tattooist.

I battled depression two years ago and this year I’ve had major surgery on my bowel. Tattoos should be meaningful. But, you know…
At risk of going further off topic Tattoos should be whatever the hell you want them be. They don't need to be meaningful if you don't want them to be. I have several.