A place to call home: where next?

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Re: A place to call home: where next?

Post by btajim - mcfc »

-DL- wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:37 pm I'm only around 10 minutes from there :eyes: :shock:
Canton or nearby? I was celebrating our World Cup qualification in the Canton Cross after the Ukraine match. Absolutely no recollection of getting back to my hotel.

I hate Cardiff City but, wonderfully, one of their fans in a pub near the Principality on the Monday after insisted Bale was signing for them claiming to be a personal friend. What a tit!
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Cardiff City have a good bunch of lads following em - maybe I was lucky as my mates Da was one of the “names” as it were, but they always treated me well and had a good laugh.

Canton/Pontcanna wasn’t ever really a stomping ground for me being a student at the time - I mostly lived in Roath and Cathays.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:07 pm Canton or nearby?
Just by Culverhouse Cross.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:29 pm Cardiff City have a good bunch of lads following em - maybe I was lucky as my mates Da was one of the “names” as it were, but they always treated me well and had a good laugh.

Canton/Pontcanna wasn’t ever really a stomping ground for me being a student at the time - I mostly lived in Roath and Cathays.
I watch Wales away and they behave like absolute ****ers. Deeply arrogant but never a brain cell between them. It’s ruined a few trips. Cardiff have a terrible fan base.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Anyone recommend places in southern/western Norfolk that would be a good fit with 2 kids (5+10)?

Ideally with decent transport links to drive back to London when required.

Done the online reading and seen places such as Hethersett and Cringleford mentioned as being decent shouts but anyone with real hand experience of the area or those?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

In my experience, much of Norfolk is off the beaten track - though the closer you are to Suffolk the better (hence your question, I guess).
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

-DL- wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:51 am Just by Culverhouse Cross.
Ideal for the airport there. I've got to say I love Cardiff. Stayed there many times as the people are generally friendly and lots to do. Easy to get anywhere by rail from there when no strikes on either.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

MD_HM wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:35 pm Anyone recommend places in southern/western Norfolk that would be a good fit with 2 kids (5+10)?

Ideally with decent transport links to drive back to London when required.

Done the online reading and seen places such as Hethersett and Cringleford mentioned as being decent shouts but anyone with real hand experience of the area or those?
It's a little harder to find nice places in South Norfolk compared to the North.... but North Norfolk is too inconvenient for the commute. I also think the scenery in South Norfolk is a little dull compared to the north. Avoid Long Stratton. I seem to recall Cringleford as looking quite nice and it's right on the edge of the city. I only really drove through it though. Maybe Mulbarton?

If it was me I'd be looking at Suffolk instead.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Isn’t Norfolk generally a bit crap for jobs, schools and accessing anywhere?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:26 pm Isn’t Norfolk generally a bit crap for jobs, schools and accessing anywhere?
Unless you're going by train from Norwich or live a bit further down near Thetford then yes I'd say so. Seems to take forever to get out of, I know that much. I met many people that had never escaped before. It's like Alcatraz. When I lived there, a fair proportion of people I knew worked for Aviva. In terms of finding a job there... slim pickings. I left as soon as I wasn't tied to the area anymore. It's nice for a day out in the summer. It has no appeal at all in the winter months. I'll exclude the North Norfolk coast from that - it actually has some nice varied scenery up that way.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:13 pm Unless you're going by train from Norwich or live a bit further down near Thetford then yes I'd say so. Seems to take forever to get out of, I know that much. I met many people that had never escaped before. It's like Alcatraz. When I lived there, a fair proportion of people I knew worked for Aviva. In terms of finding a job there... slim pickings. I left as soon as I wasn't tied to the area anymore. It's nice for a day out in the summer. It has no appeal at all in the winter months. I'll exclude the North Norfolk coast from that - it actually has some nice varied scenery up that way.
Much improved with the new sections of the A11. Probably not that new now..
Still got them 5 (I think) bloody tedious roundabouts though..
Yeah, if you're not near the A11, you can't really get anywhere fast. Must be a nightmare going west or north from the County. Not a motorway in sight, which of course is not always a bad thing, unless you've got to get somewhere fast.
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Samba wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:57 pm Must be a nightmare going west or north from the County. Not a motorway in sight
Yes, here in Lincolnshire, I still foolishly doubt the satnav, when it tells me it will take 1 hour to travel 20 miles.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

An old school pal of mine, who was a London cabbie amongst other things, recently moved to Brooke in Norfolk which i think is about 10 miles South of Norwich

i think his kids are about 7 and 11

Norfolk is rapidly becoming the new 'place to be' amongst Londoners wishing to escape to the country
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:45 am An old school pal of mine, who was a London cabbie amongst other things, recently moved to Brooke in Norfolk which i think is about 10 miles South of Norwich

Norfolk is rapidly becoming the new 'place to be' amongst Londoners wishing to escape to the country
Norfolk was the "new place" to retire (or wind down) 40+ years ago, before it got so expensive, hence people like myself moving 1 county up in our search for "The good life" :lol:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 942 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Heysel76 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:51 am Norfolk was the "new place" to retire (or wind down) 40+ years ago, before it got so expensive, hence people like myself moving 1 county up in our search for "The good life" :lol:
TBH, I wouldn't mind moving out to tractor land if I could search for Felicity Kendal. :winker:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

woking-boy
Total likes: 1 like

Post by woking-boy »

i live 10 mins from Cringleford {nice area} its right by the A11 , As someone mentioned the A11 is all dual carrigeway now .
Norwich city centre is ok only 5 minutes to city centre from cringleford, Hethersett is ok as well
Norwich is very safe , raised my 2 kids here and nether felt unduly worried for there welfare .
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Thanks for the answers, those suggesting Suffolk, any particular places?

Originally was thinking there but went a bit further to South Norfolk.

Luckily for me I can work from home 99% of the time so haven't got to consider a regular commute but due to family didn't want more than around 2 hours or so by car back.

Main consideration other than that was somewhere safer to raise the kids and get us through their education.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

MD_HM wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:08 pm Thanks for the answers, those suggesting Suffolk, any particular places?

Originally was thinking there but went a bit further to South Norfolk.

Luckily for me I can work from home 99% of the time so haven't got to consider a regular commute but due to family didn't want more than around 2 hours or so by car back.

Main consideration other than that was somewhere safer to raise the kids and get us through their education.
We moved to Suffolk in May, originally we had an offer accepted on a house in Sudbury but that fell through. We eventually bought a house in Long Melford, 5 minute drive to Sudbury which is 90 minutes from Liverpool St and a 20 minute drive to Bury St Edmunds with trains to Peterborough and onward connections to Leeds and the North via LNER. Can't believe we didn't move earlier. If you love being part of a community and are happy to throw yourself into village life I would 100% recommend it. We have lovely pubs, a brewery, great restaurants, tea rooms galore and 2 stately homes. Even the local vicar is a character. Out lying villages of Clare and Cavendish are equally as nice. So much going on every weekend it's well worth a look.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’m glad I don’t live in a big city anymore. It’s very local where I am so we all know each other. You can’t keep anything secret but I’m forever around friends when I go out.

By my own admission, I’m not particularly outgoing / personable but everyone has inflicted themselves on me from day one. It’s very working class but there’s always laughter to be had.