A place to call home: where next?

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: A place to call home: where next?

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Francoisvander or else wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:23 pm If you love being part of a community and are happy to throw yourself into village life I would 100% recommend it. We have lovely pubs, a brewery, great restaurants, tea rooms galore and 2 stately homes. Even the local vicar is a character. Out lying villages of Clare and Cavendish are equally as nice. So much going on every weekend it's well worth a look.
That's an age thing mate. Ask me to move out of London twenty years ago and you'd have got the proverbial two-fingers, now it doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. Granted I love in a rough estate in Kent but it's so much better than Tottenham or Wood Green.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

As someone who began with the intention of settling in Suffolk or Norfolk, don't rule out Lincs. More bang for your buck around here and still within commuting distance of London if you look at Newark or below (though you can even do it in less than two hours from Lincoln).
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:09 am As someone who began with the intention of settling in Suffolk or Norfolk, don't rule out Lincs. More bang for your buck around here and still within commuting distance of London if you look at Newark or below (though you can even do it in less than two hours from Lincoln).
Well yeah, i agree, but Newark is in Nottinghamshire :winker:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:02 pm That's an age thing mate. Ask me to move out of London twenty years ago and you'd have got the proverbial two-fingers, now it doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. Granted I love in a rough estate in Kent but it's so much better than Tottenham or Wood Green.
£100,000 a year salary wouldn't see me back in Newham. I've been back once in over two years. Almost everyone I mixed with who wasn't from London originally no longer lives there.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Heysel76 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:19 amWell yeah, i agree, but Newark is in Nottinghamshire :winker:
Perhaps I could've worded it better, I am aware of this!
London Calling
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by London Calling »

Personally, I love London.

Moved from Plaistow to Gidea Park with my folks back in the 90s when I was 16. Absolutely detested it - only stayed to allow me to save for the next 12 year before moving to Stratford to rent.

Loved living back in the area, moved to Hoxton shortly after, then Bethnal Green before buying a property in Hainault. Now sold up after starting a family and moving to Highams Park which looks amazing with great schools/surrounding areas like Walthamstow, etc.

Anyone on the forum from Highams Park?
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

London Calling wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:57 am Personally, I love London.

Moved from Plaistow to Gidea Park with my folks back in the 90s when I was 16. Absolutely detested it - only stayed to allow me to save for the next 12 year before moving to Stratford to rent.

Loved living back in the area, moved to Hoxton shortly after, then Bethnal Green before buying a property in Hainault. Now sold up after starting a family and moving to Highams Park which looks amazing with great schools/surrounding areas like Walthamstow, etc.

No but I'm there every Tuesday evening playing football. Well walking football.
I also love living in London.
East Sussex Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by East Sussex Hammer »

My son now lives in Walthamstow and I have to say what a great area right next to the Lea Reservoir Ideal area for his marathon training and he can cycle to work in the city in about 40 minutes and into the city in 20-30 minutes by Tube. Plus there are the very nice local brewery's as well.

Having said that I could not now move from the country back into a town as it would do my nut in.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I think London is a very marmite city. I’m grateful for the opportunities it gave me but am glad to be gone.

I popped in to a bar in Liverpool recently to catch the end of Brighton v Liverpool. It was busy and there was only a crap view table left. The fella behind me immediately beckoned me over and offered me a seat. We then began chatting to the two lads across who were up from Crewe for a gig. That friendliness never ever happened in the West End.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

i'd quite happily uproot to lincs , although work & family ties makes this virtually impossible , so much bang for your buck
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

We're out of here in the summer.

Since January 2010, I lived in (order) Warsaw, Vienna, Istanbul, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, London, Warsaw, Dubai, Brentwood.

We came back to Brentwood in the summer of 2019 and experienced a ton of issues that seem rather pointless yet have cost energy and money. In my (Polish) wife's wise words "This country has never been kind to us." I did think previously this was a bit ridiculous but as I reflect, she has a fair point. I guess some things aren't meant to be and the UK certainly doesn't feel like 'home to us.

I kept my ST going throughout my travels thinking that we'd settle for good in the UK - whilst at the same time spending a small fortune to do a very high number of home and aways to see the lads.

This time it's different - my back is being turned from club and country and we're going to Warsaw to settle. The kids will go to a Polish school and I'll become a Polish citizen as soon as legally able to do so.

As my folks have now retired to Cyprus, there is literally no reason for me to be in the UK and I would imagine the only time I'll come back will be to take my son to West Ham - if he wants to.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

I hope it doesn't mean we'll be losing you on KUMB too, PF.
PF.

Post by PF. »

Up the Junction wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:54 pm I hope it doesn't mean we'll be losing you on KUMB too, PF.
This place has always been a refuge for the pragmatist, the optimist, the wise and the occasional plonker.

And long may it continue!
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

All the best for your future, PF.

I’m single at 43 so I can pretty much do whatever I want. One idea I had was Chester. I haven’t been for years but it was always very nice.
PF.

Post by PF. »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:37 pm All the best for your future, PF.
Thanks mate.
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

This place in Yorkshire might interest some on here :crylol: Yummy
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Heysel76 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:12 pm This place in Yorkshire might interest some on here :crylol: Yummy
Even better, is where it is located. It's something you could say to a now passed Supermarket Sweep presenter if he were to cook you brunch.

Great Fryup Dale.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Yep, Lived there from ages of 0-24, went to primary and secondary school there and my parents and a fair few school friends still live there
I was up at Highams Park Lake earlier today as it goes, and am usually back in the manor at least once a week
Certainly changed a lot in last five years, and mostly for the better

Looking back was a great place to grow up in the 80s and 90s, and have been considering moving back for the last 10 years or so - but definitely missed the boat in terms of house prices
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:25 am £100,000 a year salary wouldn't see me back in Newham. I've been back once in over two years. Almost everyone I mixed with who wasn't from London originally no longer lives there.
You really need to try and be a little more tactful about what you say
Myself, and many others live in Newham
The club we all support is based in Newham

We get you don't like London, but you don't need to mention it on a daily basis. I wouldn't go on a Manchester city forum and start dissing Manchester and Mancunians all the time
Uptonogood247
Has liked: 181 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Uptonogood247 »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:45 pm I think London is a very marmite city. I’m grateful for the opportunities it gave me but am glad to be gone.

I popped in to a bar in Liverpool recently to catch the end of Brighton v Liverpool. It was busy and there was only a crap view table left. The fella behind me immediately beckoned me over and offered me a seat. We then began chatting to the two lads across who were up from Crewe for a gig. That friendliness never ever happened in the West End.
I worked all over the country in my 20s and 30s (1990-2005) doing shopfitting. The West End is the most unsociable social area in the country. Thousands of people that are literally invisible to each other. My favourite places were Bluewater and Lakeside. Made loads of friends on nights out in ***** pubs in Dartford and Grays and would end up going to UP with almost complete strangers on many an occasion. I miss those good old days