A place to call home: where next?

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Re: A place to call home: where next?

Post by -DL- »

EastBrisHammer wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:13 am Not living far from Wales and having visited it many times I would say you need to be very careful about where you choose to live....
I visit Wales 2-3 times a year, so am familiar of what the climate is.

If we go, we'll be in the sticks, and will certainly be avoiding the major cities. We want a change, and a slower way of life, so moving to a town/city will be just like living here, which makes it pretty pointless.

Of course, our decision needs to be based on SEN provision for our boy, but you can still be in the sticks, yet still only a 25 minute drive from built up civilisation.

It will most likely be South Wales, because the road network is better there, especially with the A465, A40 and A470 offering reasonable links to the urban areas as well as a fast connection to the M4 for visits back South to the in-laws and my other kids.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

-DL- wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:39 pm I visit Wales 2-3 times a year, so am familiar of what the climate is.

If we go, we'll be in the sticks, and will certainly be avoiding the major cities. We want a change, and a slower way of life, so moving to a town/city will be just like living here, which makes it pretty pointless.

Of course, our decision needs to be based on SEN provision for our boy, but you can still be in the sticks, yet still only a 25 minute drive from built up civilisation.

It will most likely be South Wales, because the road network is better there, especially with the A465, A40 and A470 offering reasonable links to the urban areas as well as a fast connection to the M4 for visits back South to the in-laws and my other kids.
Well, there's plenty of countryside so you'll definitely be fine there. As somebody who works in the countryside I can safely say I would never live in the countryside. But we are all different...thankfully.

You'll definitely find a slower pace of life wherever you end up in Wales. It blows my mind a bit when I go back to the south-east. So much traffic and life is generally a bit more frenetic. Bouncers on the doors of pubs in the towns I find completely alien.

Nevertheless, I will always have a fondness for the south-east as it was where I grew up and spent my early 20's. I would never go back though as I know it would be nothing like the place I grew up with.

I hope you find what you are looking for but I'm sure you will.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2606 likes
Total likes: 937 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:42 am I’m finally in my new place after selling London in December last year. The first one fell through and the second took forever. I’ve left Manchester for good. It’s all about apartments and gourmet burgers now. I need to step down a gear so I’m winding down in Cheshire. I’m mortgage free now so the daily stress is over.
Whereabouts in Cheshire are you Jim? We have a couple of sets of pals up there - Shocklach, near Malpas and Chester itself. Always great to visit that neck of the wood - some great walks along the Sandstone Ridge, great countryside and beer too.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:13 pm Paid for the area Jim.

I hope that Cheshire and being mortgage free brings you some peace. Be nice to meet up if you got to our game at City or if you’re ever down here. Remember seeing you in the Queens and up there with fondness 👍
I’ve been back to London once and that was solely for the FA Trophy / Vase double at Wembley. I’m so far down the pecking order for City aways that they’re a thing of the past.

You and Dave who got me my Malaga jersey met me in The Waldorf back in 2014 when we won the title. You were on our train back too. You won’t recognise that pub now… More gentrification.

I’m sure our paths will cross again!
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

EastBrisHammer wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:26 pm Well, there's plenty of countryside so you'll definitely be fine there. As somebody who works in the countryside I can safely say I would never live in the countryside. But we are all different...thankfully.

You'll definitely find a slower pace of life wherever you end up in Wales. It blows my mind a bit when I go back to the south-east. So much traffic and life is generally a bit more frenetic. Bouncers on the doors of pubs in the towns I find completely alien.

Nevertheless, I will always have a fondness for the south-east as it was where I grew up and spent my early 20's. I would never go back though as I know it would be nothing like the place I grew up with.

I hope you find what you are looking for but I'm sure you will.
I just want peace and tranquillity tbh. Somewhere I can walk and wander on my days off with nobody else in sight. I can do that around here, Kent is actually a beautiful county when you get away from the towns. It's the pure hatred I have living in the South East I want/need to get away from. As you say, it's the traffic, the fast way of life, where everyone seems to be out for themselves.

I'll never tire of the countryside, hills, valleys mountains. We tried to get away there about 9-10 years ago, but it never worked out. We'll try again. I cling to the hope that even if it doesn't happen in the next 12 months, it will happen eventually.
EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer »

-DL- wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:08 pm I just want peace and tranquillity tbh. Somewhere I can walk and wander on my days off with nobody else in sight. I can do that around here, Kent is actually a beautiful county when you get away from the towns. It's the pure hatred I have living in the South East I want/need to get away from. As you say, it's the traffic, the fast way of life, where everyone seems to be out for themselves.

I'll never tire of the countryside, hills, valleys mountains. We tried to get away there about 9-10 years ago, but it never worked out. We'll try again. I cling to the hope that even if it doesn't happen in the next 12 months, it will happen eventually.
I'm sure it will happen.

I love the countryside of Kent, I'm just not very keen on many of its towns (no offence to anyone who lives in any of them). There are many beautiful spots in the south-east. I lived in one of the more plain looking counties (Hertfordshire) but there were still some nice spots. Where I live now I will never tire of the scenery. Even from my house, which is in a town just outside Bristol, I can see high hills and greenery. But its all horses for courses and what suits one person doesn't suit another. Wales would be too quiet for me (same with Cornwall) but I know quite a few people who have moved there and love it.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

It depends whereabouts in Wales. I’m having a night in Cardiff and three in Swansea in September. Wind Street in the latter can be anything but quiet on a Friday night!
EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:17 pm It depends whereabouts in Wales. I’m having a night in Cardiff and three in Swansea in September. Wind Street in the latter can be anything but quiet on a Friday night!
Being 50, Wind Street on a Friday is not the kind of nightlife I'm looking for! Uplands is pretty good though. And I really don't like Cardiff very much. But besides those two cities, Wales is really very rural and most people from England go to live there to enjoy that.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 228 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

I lived in Cardiff for 4 years, and always found it way more friendly than Swansea myself, but maybe I had just adopted that rivalry!

Love Wales though - we’ve also discussed moving there in a few years.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:19 pm It's simply getting overcrowded, I look out at the back garden every day just to check they haven't started building a block of flats on it.

Basically it's Romford with a bit more greenery.
Must be more flats percentage wise in Brentwood now than Canary Wharf !!

What about North House (another offices to flats conversion) isn't that housing undesirables ?!!
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Greetings from Malaga. I’ve fallen in love with at least a dozen barmaids, waitresses and girls about town already. I think the climate helps keep them slim and cheerful.

It’s so strange being here and barely hearing English spoken. There’s so few British tourists at the moment. I won’t be doing this again until rules are lessened. Two paid tests is excessive.
Shabu
Has liked: 4188 likes
Total likes: 2048 likes

Post by Shabu »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:58 pm Anyone reside in Watton (Norfolk) or around this part of the world?

Am possibly on the move and have seen a couple of places I really like round there, but don't know the area at all.

Also (and not a million miles away), how's Thetford these days?
Did you end up there?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 754 likes
Total likes: 3481 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Shabu wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:26 amDid you end up there?
No. About 85 miles away!
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Chatting with an old mate of mine today who I worked with at Lotus Software 30+ years ago.

He's lived in Staines his whole life and worked in that area too.

Now he can work remotely and is mid 50s they're thinking Staines is getting too built up so they've bought a cottage in a little village near Stratford Upon Avon. The village is tiny but still has FIVE pubs and two Indian restaurants.

I'm jealous. I could handle that. I'd miss the pelicans and palm trees but not the constant threat of being shot :lol:
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1868 likes
Total likes: 2490 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Shabu wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:47 pm Chatting with an old mate of mine today who I worked with at Lotus Software 30+ years ago.

He's lived in Staines his whole life and worked in that area too.

Now he can work remotely and is mid 50s they're thinking Staines is getting too built up so they've bought a cottage in a little village near Stratford Upon Avon. The village is tiny but still has FIVE pubs and two Indian restaurants.

I'm jealous. I could handle that. I'd miss the pelicans and palm trees but not the constant threat of being shot :lol:
Staines? Lotus Notes? You’re about to get a PM
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Anyway, I’m just back from Canterbury. What a lovely city it is, too. I bloody love Kent, me. I’m going to move there one day.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 335 likes
Total likes: 706 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:57 pm Anyway, I’m just back from Canterbury. What a lovely city it is, too. I bloody love Kent, me. I’m going to move there one day.
Do it mate. I think it's one of the best counties in country. There's a ton of history, some great towns and cities, great pubs, a stone's throw from Europe and I find the people decent here too.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:05 pm Do it mate. I think it's one of the best counties in country. There's a ton of history, some great towns and cities, great pubs, a stone's throw from Europe and I find the people decent here too.
I’ve loved Kent since I was a kid, despite spending very little actual time in the county. The pockets of loveliness I found so enchanting are relatively unspoiled by contemporary development. It’s one of those places that makes you feel at home as soon as you’re there.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

My mum and dad moved to Bluebell Hill to be near my sister and her kids in Chatham.

Now everyone lives in Rochester area. I'd never been there. Lovely town.

Although if I moved back to England I'd have to be within 20 minutes drive of a nice beach walk.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Shabu wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:48 pm My mum and dad moved to Bluebell Hill to be near my sister and her kids in Chatham.

Now everyone lives in Rochester area. I'd never been there. Lovely town.
TBF, the main Medway towns are right on top of each other - Rochester, Chatham, Strood, Gillingham - and apart from the bits right on the edge of the area, it's a ****ing ****-hole.

The main Rochester High Street and Castle Gardens are ok, but cross the A2 to the other side of the High Street, it's a dump. Medway towns really aren't 'lovely'.