The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by peter49uk »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:06 am Can we close this terrible thread now? :phew:
Yes and open.........a summer one :lol:
stevenmj
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by stevenmj »

I find it amazing that nobody believes we need another Centre Back. Apart from the (usually) reliable Ogbonna we have a shot Balbuena, an out of form and struggling Diop, an untried youngster in Cardosa, and have shipped out Reid on loan who will probably never play for us again.

Added to the deficiencies in the full back areas I still see us struggling in defence for the rest of the season, even with more cover in central midfield.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

mumbles87 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:29 am its a cracking window...

...id say thats adding some depth
I wouldn't go that far. It's the bare minimum we needed to stand a cat in hell's chance of staying up. I do agree we've added some depth but we had all the depth of a dry riverbed beforehand. Don't get me wrong I'm pleased with Soucek and Bowen as signings as they, tentatively, seem to signal a far more appropriate transfer policy by the club. Perhaps Moyes has more say than we all thought with Sully.

All in all it's been the transfer dealings required for a club of our size and in our situation. Even then we're still lacking a RB*, which must have been high on Moyes wishlist or it wouldn't have been such an open secret we were desperate to sign one. I guess if you leave it till the last 24hrs you don't give yourself much wriggle room...

*The Ngakia thing is frustrating in all honesty, he comes in for a free hit in a game we all expected to lose, does ok and now we're ok at RB? Bearing in mind he's not even our 1st choice u23 RB... I hope, for his sake, he doesn't cost us an important goal at some stage as we're such a loving, forgiving bunch at times. People still remember/qoute Declan's missed header...
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

[quote=Faithless post_id=

*The Ngakia thing is frustrating in all honesty, he comes in for a free hit in a game we all expected to lose, does ok and now we're ok at RB? Bearing in mind he's not even our 1st choice u23 RB... I hope, for his sake, he doesn't cost us an important goal at some stage as we're such a loving, forgiving bunch at times. People still remember/qoute Declan's missed header...
[/quote]

If we lose we lose. We've never worried about that. But getting young players in that are good has always excited us. The likes of Diangana and Rice.

A clear direction is what we have asked for. Not top 4.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:56 am . A clear direction is what we have asked for. Not top 4.
Not sure where in that or any other post I've said I/we want top 4 or that a clear direction isn't required.

At the moment we appear to have changed our tack to signing a couple of players that are a good mix of proven at a level below but with the attributes to perform in the top division. I'm all for that have been for a while. Marquee signings are what clubs do when they already have a team/squad.

As yet though the only clear direction from the club has been Moyes saying about the Red Bull model. I would be overchuffed if there was a simple article on the clubs website stating that it is indeed our policy from now on.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

jastons wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:00 am We sold him in 2017 because he wasn't good enough. We only signed him again because Middlesbrough owed us money.
Why do people keep posting this? He left because Sullivan brought Hart in and it was obvious one of either Adrian or Randolph would leave to get first team football...
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

stevenmj wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:48 am I find it amazing that nobody believes we need another Centre Back. Apart from the (usually) reliable Ogbonna we have a shot Balbuena, an out of form and struggling Diop, an untried youngster in Cardosa, and have shipped out Reid on loan who will probably never play for us again.

Added to the deficiencies in the full back areas I still see us struggling in defence for the rest of the season, even with more cover in central midfield.
Sadly we have gaps everywhere. The CB issue is a big problem still. We've been lucky that Oggy has been so consistent this season and at the moment a shoe in for HOTY.

Balbuena was decent enough last year but as you say has been absolutely woeful this. Hopefully Diop can be coached by Moyes and Irvine to stop running out of position and how to actually time heading a ball pretty soon...
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Faithless wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:11 am Not sure where in that or any other post I've said I/we want top 4 or that a clear direction isn't required.

At the moment we appear to have changed our tack to signing a couple of players that are a good mix of proven at a level below but with the attributes to perform in the top division. I'm all for that have been for a while. Marquee signings are what clubs do when they already have a team/squad.

As yet though the only clear direction from the club has been Moyes saying about the Red Bull model. I would be overchuffed if there was a simple article on the clubs website stating that it is indeed our policy from now on.
The choices intimate a change of direction. Two homegrown players from the Fizz, outfield players have strictly been the right age and if they succeed their value will multiply really quickly.

I think we will see the departure of Zabaleta, Balbuena, Sanchez, Fornals, Ajeti and Yarmolenko in the summer no matter what. That will be the funding for what has been done.

Hugill has scored a dozen already this year... perhaps Hull are on a promise once his loan is up?
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Did Bowen end up getting his Relegation Release Clause in the end?

If so it’s effectively a loan anyway, if not it’s a good signing
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

£25m relegation clause according to the lapdogs at C+H.

let's hope he likes it here!
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:23 am The choices intimate to a change of direction. Two homegrown players from the Fizz, outfield players have strictly been the right age and if they succeed their value will multiply really quickly.

I think we will see the departure of Zabaleta, Balbuena, Sanchez, Fornals, Ajeti and Yarmolenko in the summer no matter what. That will be the funding for what has been done.

Hugill has scored a dozen already this year... perhaps Hull are on a promise once his loan is up?
I agree that the choices do intimate a change. I also accept that GSB have used up all my good will, so I am extremely cautious about heralding a new dawn. I want them to say it in black and white, you know a bit of open honest communication with the clubs fans about the direction of the club.

With the exception of possibly Fornals I'd be happy with that in the summer as long as each of those is replaced by similar types as we just signed or we'll be back firefighting yet again.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I don't imagine Sullivan would have allowed a relegation release clause, especially for less than what we are allegedly paying for him. Why offer him a five and a half year deal, if we could realistically lose him in the summer, it just wouldn't make sense.

There was so much bullsh*t being flung about yesterday, which I believe was just agents trying to get their client more money.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

S-H wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:38 am I don't imagine Sullivan would have allowed a relegation release clause, especially for less than what we are allegedly paying for him. Why offer him a five and a half year deal, if we could realistically lose him in the summer, it just wouldn't make sense.
because he wouldn't have signed it otherwise and we're desperate?

i seem to have wondered into a parallel universe where we've turned into a well run club overnight by most people's opinions. this is just the latest sullivan pivot and like all the others it seems like a good idea at the time until the other endemic problems at the club devour any progress.
Last edited by Beavis Danzig on Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Pulls up Trees wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:12 am Why do people keep posting this? He left because Sullivan brought Hart in and it was obvious one of either Adrian or Randolph would leave to get first team football...
Do you believe that Randolph was good enough for us in 2017?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

stevenmj wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:48 am I find it amazing that nobody believes we need another Centre Back. Apart from the (usually) reliable Ogbonna we have a shot Balbuena, an out of form and struggling Diop, an untried youngster in Cardosa, and have shipped out Reid on loan who will probably never play for us again.

We do need centre backs and full backs but moyes is going to have too many limitations to sort anything until sulli knows whether we're relegated or not. Regardless of whether we stay up or not, I'm expecting diop to be shifted to raise money and a full rebuild of the back line in the summer.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

jastons wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:41 am Do you believe that Randolph was good enough for us in 2017?
As a back up keeper? Yes. We don’t play enough games to keep two quality keepers happy. Appreciate it cost us points this season, but it would for any club outside the top six or so. The character of the back up keeper is almost as important as their ability.
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

MB wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:48 am As a back up keeper? Yes. We don’t play enough games to keep two quality keepers happy. Appreciate it cost us points this season, but it would for any club outside the top six or so. The character of the back up keeper is almost as important as their ability.
TBF Randolph in goal for those 9(?) games and I don't think we drop anywhere near as many points. So as a back up he's fine.
Adecoker
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Adecoker »

I for 1 am glad we did not buy a rb. Johnson makes a promising debut then dissapears. The same thing would happen to Ngakia if we bought someone in. Look around the league Chilwell homegrown ditto Alexander and James. The lad at spurs has only played a few games but has shown enough for them to let Rose go out on loan. If nothing else homegrown will have pride in the shirt.
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

Adecoker wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:00 am I for 1 am glad we did not buy a rb. Johnson makes a promising debut then dissapears. The same thing would happen to Ngakia if we bought someone in.
Johnson has been injured pretty much since his debut, it's nothing to do with him disappearing. He's played in 2 u23 games in December and didn't complete either. He'd have started against Liverpool if he'd been available.
Pulls up Trees
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

jastons wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:41 am Do you believe that Randolph was good enough for us in 2017?
Absolutely. He was as good as Adrian. He was certainly better than Joe Hart!!

As others have said, he was a great backup keeper which is why he will be this time too. Sounds like you’ve just got a problem with him...