The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by bubbles1966 »

stevenmj wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:48 am I find it amazing that nobody believes we need another Centre Back. Apart from the (usually) reliable Ogbonna we have a shot Balbuena, an out of form and struggling Diop, an untried youngster in Cardosa, and have shipped out Reid on loan who will probably never play for us again.

Added to the deficiencies in the full back areas I still see us struggling in defence for the rest of the season, even with more cover in central midfield.
I think the decision about centre half will be made in the summer.

Balbuena will be down to the last year of his deal then, while Winston is going off to play MLS for a few months to hopefully get back into the groove. At least one will go.

In the interim, I think Moyes will play a back 3 if needed,and maybe even put Rice back there on occasion. Also Cardozo has played top flight football in Portugal so is a bit different to most youth/U20 players.

With Haller and Soucek in the team we also have some very good headers of a ball to supplement the centre backs at set pieces.

It will be interesting to see what impact, if any, a more solid central midfield delivers assuming Soucek is alright.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:18 am
With Haller and Soucek in the team we also have some very good headers of a ball to supplement the centre backs at set pieces.
We are so poor at set pieces - have we scored a goal from a corner this season? We have some tall players too.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:23 am I think we will see the departure of Zabaleta, Balbuena, Sanchez, Fornals, Ajeti and Yarmolenko in the summer no matter what. That will be the funding for what has been done.
That makes a lot of sense, but of that lot - aside from Fornals - I can't see us recouping much.
Yarmolenko is 30 and signed a 4-year contract on 11 July 2018. If we stay up,he could choose to just sit on his 'arris and collect the wages alongside Jack Washer/Dryer.No other club was kicking down doors to sign him when we did,and his injury record with us is even worse than it was before,arguably.
Sanchez - is the new Benni BigMac,say no more.
Zabaleta is 35 and under contract until this summer.Surely he will sit it out hang up his boots then?

Whatever,Sullivan has never spent big in any previous January window (iirc) so he will claw it back asap,as you suggest.
I expect the net spend this summer to be as paltry as it was last summer.
Last edited by uptonparkhurst on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:18 am I think the decision about centre half will be made in the summer.

Balbuena will be down to the last year of his deal then, while Winston is going off to play MLS for a few months to hopefully get back into the groove. At least one will go.

In the interim, I think Moyes will play a back 3 if needed,and maybe even put Rice back there on occasion. Also Cardozo has played top flight football in Portugal so is a bit different to most youth/U20 players.

It will be interesting to see what impact, if any, a more solid central midfield delivers assuming Soucek is alright.
IF (big if still imo) we stay up I can see us going in for one or both Brighton centre backs, back in for Matty Cash and a new left back. Would be a whole new back line. I now expect one or both of Diop and Rice to go in the summer unless our form in the remaining games trends to some sort of top six level (therefore suggesting a very different season next year). Bowen is probably part of the summer budget and Soucek will be if we make him perm.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

jacko wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:21 am We are so poor at set pieces - have we scored a goal from a corner this season? We have some tall players too.
No, but the opposition have scored from our corners
swerley

Post by swerley »

Randolph was in goal when we finally broke the Anfield curse.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Pulls up Trees wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:12 am Absolutely. He was as good as Adrian. He was certainly better than Joe Hart!!

As others have said, he was a great backup keeper which is why he will be this time too. Sounds like you’ve just got a problem with him...
I have no problem with Randolph whatsoever. In isolation I have no problem with us signing him two weeks ago. The problem I have is re-signing him. Randolph is an upgrade on Roberto (ffs it would be hard not to be) but it shows what a clusterfuck our transfer 'strategy' has been.

If Randolph left for first team football then why is he back here to sit on the bench?
jonnysissons
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by jonnysissons »

Why would we sell Fornals? He hasn’t had a chance to settle in yet. I think there’s a good player in there somewhere.

Players don’t always settle in overnight in the prem.
ILoveWHU
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by ILoveWHU »

Pulls up Trees wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:12 am Why do people keep posting this? He left because Sullivan brought Hart in and it was obvious one of either Adrian or Randolph would leave to get first team football...
While what you say is true, Randolph was the easy choice. He had a run of games where his performance from corners was shocking, leading to several goals conceded and opposisitions having seen that then using crowding him at corners as a tactic.

tbh I'm surprised that opposition in games since he returned have not used the same tactic on him.

But to be fair on Randolph he is a good keeper positionally and regularly pulls off good saves. So (corners aside) I'm not that displeased at him being our back up keeper for now.

My biggest disappointment this window was that we did not get a replacement in for Balbuena who is not only slow but gives possession away far far too often.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Faithless wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:11 am Johnson has been injured pretty much since his debut, it's nothing to do with him disappearing. He's played in 2 u23 games in December and didn't complete either. He'd have started against Liverpool if he'd been available.
That's what I find interesting. Is Ngakia technically not even first-choice RB for our U23s??
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Hugh Jargon II wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:14 am Dunno why some are celebrating. We have signed two unproven players at premiership level.
Sullivan is praying for a miracle.
I'm over the moon we've finally gone for arguably the most exciting young player from the C'ship after missing out on Maddison. The signing reminds me of when we bought Ashton (although I know Ashton had the benefit of half a season in the Prem beforehand).

Element of risk with all signings, but let's face it, what proven PL players are we going to attract in our current position? We were being quoted £60m for Callum Wilson to put things in perspective. Who would make the 'step up' to us from the Prem in our current position? Otherwise we're looking at bigger clubs' cast-offs.

Remains to be seen how well our signings do. But on paper, we've made the appropriate moves
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

jonnysissons wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:11 pm Why would we sell Fornals? He hasn’t had a chance to settle in yet. I think there’s a good player in there somewhere.

Players don’t always settle in overnight in the prem.
I'm guessing from the club's perspective they will want to raise money to balance the books and generate cash for parts of the team that have a greater need for reinforcements .

From his, I would imagine that he might want to play more. He was a regular starter in Spain. Ceballos is having similar problems establishing himself at Arsenal and has already been trying to get away.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:36 pm That's what I find interesting. Is Ngakia technically not even first-choice RB for our U23s??
He's played the last 4 games but didn't play in the previous 9 so it's up for debate but I'd imagine a fit Johnson would be out first choice u23 RB.

I imagine the thinking was that the lad couldn't lose v Liverpool. Irrespective of his performance he wouldn't get slated for it and it gave Zab a day off. Unless of course Moyes start's him today then he really must be impressing.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Hull not only sold Bowen to us, they also sold forward Kamil Grosicki to WBA. Between them they scored over half Hull's goals this season. I wonder what their thinking was, given they're fourteenth in the league?
goof

Post by goof »

Whilst I'm pleased about Bowen, is there no more news on a striker ?
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

goof wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:32 pm Whilst I'm pleased about Bowen, is there no more news on a striker ?
Bowen is a forward.
goof

Post by goof »

Sorry I thought he played in midfield or the wing.
MooresTheHero
Has liked: 1200 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by MooresTheHero »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:30 pm Hull not only sold Bowen to us, they also sold forward Kamil Grosicki to WBA. Between them they scored over half Hull's goals this season. I wonder what their thinking was, given they're fourteenth in the league?
Their owners are hated as much as GSB by the Hull City fans. They have asset stripped before. But the difference between them and GSB is that they would sell up, given the right offer.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Despite defensive issues our real problem is lack of goals. The two players signed both have impressive recent scoring records, albeit at a lower level.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

goof wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:52 pm Sorry I thought he played in midfield or the wing.
You would be right. He can play there too. :thup: