The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Can we close this terrible thread now? :phew:
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Agree with what a lot of posters are saying, excellent window on paper at least, kinda exactly the type of players we needed for a change. I wonder if the imminent return of Fredericks, and the debut display from Ngakia halted the signing of a right back? Or was it that everything yesterday had to be focused on the Bowen deal? Still would have liked another midfielder and striker, but maybe I'm being too greedy!
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Interesting to see that some of the players we were heavily linked with over the past 6 months moved elsewhere: Lobotka to Napoli, Koutris to Mallorca and El Neysri to Sevilla.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we got a free in, a la Evra. Despite the Bowen signing, I think that player has to be a striker who can run the channels and gets in behind.

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of Ki, Fabio Contreao and Tom Carroll rocked up on a free nor would I think a short term deal would be a bad thing.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:15 am Agree with what a lot of posters are saying, excellent window on paper at least, kinda exactly the type of players we needed for a change. I wonder if the imminent return of Fredericks, and the debut display from Ngakia halted the signing of a right back? Or was it that everything yesterday had to be focused on the Bowen deal? Still would have liked another midfielder and striker, but maybe I'm being too greedy!
I think this issue will be resolved in the Summer. Zabaletta and Fredricks will be released and sold and we will sign a top RB with Ngakia as understudy.

I think we were correct not to panic sign a RB this window. We have the permanent and classy signing of Bowen and time to assess Soucek between now and May. Everything else can wait.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

dodger wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:40 am
On the other hand, right back remains a big issue, we still only really have one good keeper (Randolph is ok but Championshp standard really), and we are still reliant on our few good players to keep us up.
As are 13 other teams in the league!

It is a decent window for us. Randolph is great because it means we will never see Roberto in goal again!

The other two signings are exactly what we need and it at least feels like they were Moyes’ choices. The challenge with those is how quickly they settle but the winter break and two games we expect to lose will give us some time at least.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Bought in the right areas - just not sure choices weren’t partly about financing rather than best player. Interesting to see how sources compares to Berge in Pl
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

PlaistowIron wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:40 pm Don’t go to bed...

Actually do... big game tomorrow. COYI :crest:

I did. Time got to 11:00 pm and saw on Transfer news he still hadn't signed, so thought f*** it, bollox, after all that we've missed out yet again. Didn't know we got him until this morning :scarfer:
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

:thup:

Great start to the day. Let’s hope we’re still all as jolly come 5pm.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

best we could expect with two young players coming in in areas we needed.
LB is more of a worry than RB for me as neither cresswell nor masuaka are good enough .
lets hope Antonio and fab stay fit, new guys hit the ground running and haller starts scoring !

fabianski
fredericks diop ogbonna cresswell
rice soucek fornals
Antonio haller bowen

subs Randolph Balbuena masuaka noble Snodgrass lanzini Anderson

looks good with a good bench for once.

we shall see if we have left it too late though
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Being where we are in the league was always going to to make it harder to get signings over line as players would want the security of premier league football next season and we can't provide that
Take Sheffield United for example sitting in 8th they can offer a lot more in the short term, which is what most players will be looking at in the here and now.
The thing about the Premier League is that it is impossible to judge season by season.
We stay up and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that next season we are 8th and Berge and Sheffield U battling against the drop.

Overall a decent window IMHO.
CM has been the root of all our problems for a long time. I have no idea if this this Czech geezer will solve it but he seems to have the credentials
Bowen is a good signing and will add some directness, movement and an eye for goal we don't have when Antonio is injured
Randolph has solved our back up keep issue. We now have someone vaguely competent

RB would be the next target as although I like Fredericks attitude, and defensively he isn't too bad, i just don't think he is good enough going forward which means everything gets condensed down our left side. However we do have enough to get through the season. If this new CM does his job our full.backs will immediately look better
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

It's hard to believe that such a wonderful player like Joe Allen is still at Stoke City. :scarfer:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

yes we missed a few bullets for sure in allen and kalou
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Winston off to Nashville on loan.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Leaves us with full backs (both sides) as the most pressing concern in the squad. We could use another midfielder, and we don’t know how Soucek will work out, but taking things as a success with the new signings means full back is the weakest area in the starting line up.

Full backs, another central midfielder and a striker, whether to support or replace Haller, are the things to do.

All that said, I suspect we’ll have some squad turnover even if we escape the drop.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Reasons to be positive imo.
-Like the fact we targeted the positions we needed - even though we didn’t get a right back we clearly identified it (and I hope we go back for Matty Cash in the summer) and did bid for a number of players in that position
-Like the fact that we went for players with their best years ahead of them
-Seems much more sustainable as a model to look at top championship players

Whether they work out remains to be seen - any transfer has risk and buying young promising British players, in particular, feels like it will be more successful if you bring in a few of them over successive windows.

Have a concern that it’s ‘too little, too late’ and we’ll see if we’ve signed up to any contract clauses that bit us in the arse...but I’m more hopeful than a week ago.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Dunno why some are celebrating. We have signed two unproven players at premiership level.
Sullivan is praying for a miracle.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Hammer.CA wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:30 am It's hard to believe that such a wonderful player like Joe Allen is still at Stoke City. :scarfer:
It really is baffling...

:lol:
Ferret

Post by Ferret »

Hugh Jargon II wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:14 am Dunno why some are celebrating. We have signed two unproven players at premiership level.
Just give it a few weeks, many will turn on them if they dont hit the ground running
ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

Hugh Jargon II wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:14 am Dunno why some are celebrating. We have signed two unproven players at premiership level.
Do you know how much proven PL players cost mate :lol:

What would you say... 60 mil plus for 'proven' PL midfielders in the age range 22-32?

16 goals in the Ch for a young English player 'proves' he is a good player with a very promising future. And who knows maybe as he's English he will, you know, *run*, unlike the 45 mil Andersen for one example.

Soucek is proven as a 24 year old regular Czech international. He also does the 'running' thing that many of our current and past players don't.

Excellent business for a January window. If we can stay up and add striker + defender + winger then it's a very decent two windows.

Note that we still need new owners no matter what.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

ShanghaiHammer wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:25 am Do you know how much proven PL players cost mate :lol:

What would you say... 60 mil plus for 'proven' PL midfielders in the age range 22-32?

16 goals in the Ch for a young English player 'proves' he is a good player with a very promising future. And who knows maybe as he's English he will, you know, *run*, unlike the 45 mil Andersen for one example.

Soucek is proven as a 24 year old regular Czech international. He also does the 'running' thing that many of our current and past players don't.

Excellent business for a January window. If we can stay up and add striker + defender + winger then it's a very decent two windows.

Note that we still need new owners no matter what.
its a cracking window...

past few months we have had the following issues

Goalkeeper
right back
central midfield
goals (lack of)

so we have gone out... got rid of roberto and brought in a solid back up to fabianski (whos now fit)
right back we havent overly addressed however moyes gave youth a chance in Ngakia who proved against liverpool he can do a job until fredericks is back
central midfield.. we added soucek.. who looks very talented.
lack of goals.. lets get in a winger/ striker who scored 52 goals in 120 championship games!

all without selling any first teamers

id say thats adding some depth