The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-202?

Post by Oldun »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:01 pm Sorry to return to the Boris's Blow Job, but how on earth is this not the lead story on every news outlet ?

He was a serving minister at the time and his girlfriend obliged him at his place of work.

Gavin Williamson, it would appear, is the MP who walked in on him /them.

That's Sir Gavin thee days.
It’s called censorship.
All good dictatorships are built on it.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:01 pm Gavin Williamson, it would appear, is the MP who walked in on him /them.
So that’s why the useless **** kept his job for as long as we did.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3095 likes

Post by MB »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:01 pm Sorry to return to the Boris's Blow Job, but how on earth is this not the lead story on every news outlet ?

He was a serving minister at the time and his girlfriend obliged him at his place of work.

I wonder how a PM who used to work in the media and his wife who used to be a press officer and media officer are keeping stories out of the media :chin:
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Being completely hopeless but getting a Knighthood for witnessing Johnson getting blown by a bird he wanted to give a 100k a year job to whilst he was still married. British politics everyone...

Carrie is as classy as Johnson by the sound of it.
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

And people still defend them .
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Please use Sir Gavin's full title in futur

"Former Education Secretary Sir Gavin Williamson who just took a job paying £80,000 per year for 50 hours work consulting with an firm that runs private schools and is a major donor to the Conservative & Unionist party"
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1507 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Due to the industry I work in, the majority of my colleagues are actually Tory voters, and many are still banging the drum of 'Well, they're better than the other lot'.

I am starting to wonder just what the Tories would be able to get away with and not have this as an excuse. Surely at some point there is a tipping point when all this stuff just actually means that they are worse than the other lot. Or are the current opposition really that bad. Because I get that they're dull, and a bit ****, and they don't seem to stand for too much....but what positives does our current government still offer? It's not even like they're 'getting Brexit done' anymore. What exactly is it they're offering anyone?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

TTS,

I think it's more to do with people's total disillusionment with British Parliamentary Politics as a whole, and the better than the other lot is just people's default answer when we have an opposition that still doesn't appear on the face of it to be a viable option, despite the complete and utter embarrassment of a government we have now.

I suspect that it's very much split down party lines at the moment, and the floating voter is so apathetic, they'll go and vote Lib Dem or a local independent campaigning on local issues were there to be a GE tomorrow - letting the Tories back in by default.

I've never known it to be so fractious in my entire life.
MB

Post by MB »

Yes, what DL said.

The Tories playing to the hard-core right and Labour playing to the hard-core left under Corbyn's leadership left a lot of people like me disenfranchised. Brexit was just fuel for the flames.

I've voted Lib Dem in the last few elections even though it makes zero difference to the result as i feel I have to vote and that is the least worst option.

A large number of people I work with have said the same.

I also agree that the opposition have done the bare minimum. I hope that is an attempt to keep their powder dry, but the RMT strikes showed they are not a united party even if no longer the party of Unite.
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

smuts wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:49 pm Being completely hopeless but getting a Knighthood for witnessing Johnson getting blown by a bird he wanted to give a 100k a year job to whilst he was still married. British politics everyone...

Carrie is as classy as Johnson by the sound of it.
and I thought she was a vegetarian
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:18 pm Please use Sir Gavin's full title in futur

"Former Education Secretary Sir Gavin Williamson who just took a job paying £80,000 per year for 50 hours work consulting with an firm that runs private schools and is a major donor to the Conservative & Unionist party"
Bit of a mouthful :winker:
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

MB wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:11 am Yes, what DL said.

I also agree that the opposition have done the bare minimum. I hope that is an attempt to keep their powder dry, but the RMT strikes showed they are not a united party even if no longer the party of Unite.
I'd like to know how the opposition are supposed to do more than "the bare minimum" when faced with a 75 seat majority
SammyLeeWasOffside

Turns to Stone wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:41 am Due to the industry I work in, the majority of my colleagues are actually Tory voters, and many are still banging the drum of 'Well, they're better than the other lot'.

I am starting to wonder just what the Tories would be able to get away with and not have this as an excuse. Surely at some point there is a tipping point when all this stuff just actually means that they are worse than the other lot. Or are the current opposition really that bad. Because I get that they're dull, and a bit ****, and they don't seem to stand for too much....but what positives does our current government still offer? It's not even like they're 'getting Brexit done' anymore. What exactly is it they're offering anyone?
Imo the electorate seem more about the odd big event these days, other than that politicians are so covered in **** that a bit more doesn't make much difference.

If brexit hadn't been an issue we would possibly have drifted to a centre left coalition by now. We certainly wouldn't be in an 80 seat majority govt of any colour.

Without the cost of living crisis it's likely Johnson would win next time (again imo) as the rest of the crap wouldn't matter enough to enough. Labour took us through scandals and an illegal war but in the end it was a financial crash that did for them (and even then only just).

People are so used to crap from politicians that it only seems to be big things that impact directly that matter.
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 287 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

I genuinely worry that Nadine Dorries has so little self respect that she's happy to 'take one for the team' (not like that), when they need someone to take the heat of Johnson (not like that). There's no way they would let her stand in front of a microphone with so little preparation that she makes the number of gaffes she comes out with at public events. These people have teams of advisors around them. They know that Twitter will go mad and the parodies will come thick and fast every time she does something stupid. Get her trending and maybe fewer people will talk about what the PM gets up to in his spare time.

As for what it will take for the PM to step down or the Tories to cross the line of acceptable behaviour while in power, every scandal and betrayal of trust that hasn't resulted in resignations just pushes that line further away. They've got used to just riding it out (not like that) now. Johnson's going nowhere until the next election, if you ask me.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3030 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The BloJo story remains unpublished in the mainstream press and unbroadcast on TV.

Is nobody else concerned at the muzzling of the press ?

The muzzling of the BBC / channel 4 / ITV ?

Only Private eye and James O'Brien on LBC running with it.

We used to laugh at countries that had these sorts of issues.

The fascists are in full rampage. Democracy is at risk.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Dieter Eckstein wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:46 am I genuinely worry that Nadine Dorries has so little self respect that she's happy to 'take one for the team' (not like that), when they need someone to take the heat of Johnson (not like that). There's no way they would let her stand in front of a microphone with so little preparation that she makes the number of gaffes she comes out with at public events. These people have teams of advisors around them. They know that Twitter will go mad and the parodies will come thick and fast every time she does something stupid. Get her trending and maybe fewer people will talk about what the PM gets up to in his spare time.
Every party has these people. Corbyn used to send Gardiner and Burgon out to bat because they'd say absolutely anything to defend the party line, no matter how stupid. The Conservatives use a pinot grigio-fuelled Dorries, or if they need their best media performer, Shapps.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:06 am Bit of a mouthful :winker:

Carrie? :shock:
MB

Post by MB »

old fart wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:12 am I'd like to know how the opposition are supposed to do more than "the bare minimum" when faced with a 75 seat majority
I'm.not expecting a full blown manifesto but I have no idea what Starmer stands for. What are his key red lines?

Clever PMQs doesn't work for the vast majority of people. He needs to be out there. If he has been then it isn't working as it has completely past me by.

All I've seen so far is "we are not them" which is as bad as the government's "careful what you wish for, it could be worse".
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

SammyLeeWasOffside

MB wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:42 pm I'm.not expecting a full blown manifesto
Boris? :smiler: