The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WestcliffHammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-2022

Post by WestcliffHammer »

Its more than likely been leaked from Sunak's camp to Labour
YGNB
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by YGNB »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Last edited by -DL- on Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Potentially libellous comment removed - see usernotes
WestcliffHammer

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Last edited by -DL- on Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoting deleted post
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Boys and girls, please remember that 'apparently' or 'allegedly' doesn't cover your backside if potentially libellous comments are made.

Whilst an affair by Lis Truss is in public domain, the allegations made in regards to the deleted post are not, so please think before you post them.

Ta.
WestcliffHammer

Poor old Liz Truss

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

This is pretty good IMO.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...ervative-party

The Problem with the Conservative Party​
It's probably not the one you think it is.​

Sometimes, when overwhelmed by morbid curiosity, or procrastinating something particularly important, I find myself reading the Wikipedia pages of plane crashes. Thanks to the data recovered from black boxes, especially the cockpit voice recordings, the last moments of flights can be recreated with vivid accuracy.[1] The most interesting are those caused largely by human error.

In those final fateful moments, you can observe highly intelligent, highly trained professionals making error after error, gradually dooming them and their passengers. Despite the ringing alarms of the onboard systems, they lose sight of what they are doing or how to avoid the impending doom. They pull the joystick, instead of releasing it, they shut down the working engine instead of the failing one, or sometimes the two pilots pull in different directions, cancelling each other out. Eventually, they hit the Point of No Return and, shortly after, the ground.

The current Conservative leadership election has a similar atmosphere. Every day in this interminably long contest, the final two candidates fire out press releases and half-formed policy proposals, only to wind them back in – flailing around the controls they want to wield in a month’s time. Meanwhile, the country slides towards crisis.

Neither Rishi Sunak nor Liz Truss appears to recognise or acknowledge the looming problems Britain faces, both in the short and the long term. Analysts predict that this winter the energy price cap (a cap lifted more often than that of a subservient chimney sweep) will hit £4,400. For the average household, this will represent 14% of their post-tax income. As an isolated threat, that would mean deep discomfort for many. Combined with other price rises and increasing interest rates, it will mean destitution. Government will have to act to prevent this, yet everything promised so far is lacklustre.

The grants already in place will cover less than 10% of the cap limit. Abolishing VAT on domestic fuel would knock another two hundred quid or so off, while removing the green levy would drop it by £155. It’s piecemeal help in the face of a massive problem and failing to address it now will only mean more hurried help when the bills start dropping on doorsteps.

It might be forgivable if that were the only issue where the candidates seemed oblivious. But everywhere you look, the country faces massive challenges that the governing party has no answer to. Friends have written at length about the Tory failure to tackle the housing crisis. I shan’t repeat their arguments, save to say that throughout the leadership contest there has been no serious attempt to remedy this. Rishi Sunak has swung behind defending the greenbelt, whilst Liz Truss has prevaricated and developed an obsession with “Soviet style targets”. Anyone who has managed KPIs will tell you, if there is no target for something, the target is zero.

Beyond this, Britain looks forward to running out of water and electricity. Infrastructure projects that could have alleviated this have been bandied around and frustrated for decades, and little can be done to turn it around on short notice. Yet equally, there is limited planning now for the threats of decades hence. They say the best time to plant a tree was ten years ago, and the second-best time is today. In Britain, the second-best time to begin is after three preliminary reports, two judicial reviews and a general election. The best time is never.

Even in foreign and military policy, the natural home of the Conservative politician, things look bleak. Whilst the country has performed well in arming Ukraine, its own defence commitments have been mealy mouthed. Promised rises are undermined by inflation and clever accounting, while procurement remains scandalously wasteful and the UK eliminates its own tanks more efficiently than its Javelin missiles deal with Russian ones. With beautiful bureaucracy, a chunk of our defence spending goes on consultants planning the next round of cuts and another chunk on how to cope with the last ones.

This blog isn’t, however, meant to be a mere catalogue of the UK’s woes. Instead, these issues are served up to highlight what I consider the most pervasive and surprising problem the Tory Party faces: that the Party doesn’t care about politics.

That is not to say that the Party doesn’t care about winning elections. It remains ruthlessly committed to that and its record is clear. Even after the crashing scandals of the Johnson era, the incoming PM has a fighting chance of securing the next election, giving the Tories nearly twenty years in power. The problem is that they no longer understands why or to what end they wield such power.

Those on the left would be shocked by how apolitical most of the Conservative Party is. There is no theory in conservative politics. I suspect no more than a handful of Tory MPs have ever read Burke or Hayek, unless they cropped up on a PPE reading list. They will be far more familiar with Isabel Oakeshott than Michael.

Factionalism within the Party is driven far more by aesthetics than by ideology. One (former) MP once told me that when he asked his association why they had picked him for the safe seat, he was told “It was the lovely way you spoke about your wife at the selection”. Many MPs come to parliament without any real belief than a view that “good things are good, and we should do more of them, and bad things are bad”. I’ve met less than half a dozen mainstream Tories who could be classed as ideologues.

At its best, this makes the Party flexible and pragmatic, able to pivot around the issues of the day. At its worst, and it really seems to be falling into the worst now, it becomes listless, incapable and slightly baffled by the power it holds. It’s the cat that has finally caught the laser pointer.

Rather than principles or goals, the Tory Party today lives for day-to-day, object level reactions to the things that catch its eye. Most MPs have no understanding of economics, but instead repeat half-remembered maxims about lower taxes (we are, it seems, forever to the right of the Laffer curve)[2], whilst at the same time celebrating the latest boondoggle that happens to land in their constituency. In the same vein, you see the Tory MPs who have started to get their head around the housing crisis call for more housebuilding everywhere except where it threatens some historic carpark or sacred waste ground on their patch. They will tweet almost back-to-back about the unaffordability of homes and their objection to a new development.

This track record of the current government is testament to this. Despite coming to power with a majority of 80, as close to total control of the British state as you can have, the government has failed to push forward on any of its purported objectives. It is bizarre to see left wing commentators talk of the “rise of the far right” or the democratic backsliding associated with post 2019 Conservatism, when those I know on the right laugh darkly at the impotence of the government.

The government which claimed to be hard-line on immigration did nothing to reduce it. The government that seeks to be tough on crime has seen petty crime become almost legal. The government that complains about “woke-culture” has done nothing at a legislative level to prevent it. The Party, even with all the resources of the state at its disposal cannot even achieve its own aims most of the time.

The Tory Party is not driven by some grand policy agenda, but simply grasping at shiny objects. It passes repetitive, unnecessary and ultimately inoffensive laws that criminalise nothing new – like dog theft or assaults on emergency workers. Or else spends its time complaining that the world, the civil service and the blob is against it. The Party once sought to campaign in poetry and govern in prose, now it campaigns in shitposts and governs in tweets.

Even on its beloved Brexit, the Party tries to stoke an ongoing threat that it might be undone or revoked or strangled at birth rather than engage with the realities of leaving the EU. With the simple in and out completed, the Party has no clue whether Britain’s future is Singapore on Thames or shoring up the dying embers of Red Wall industries. Instead, it jumps to silly-season headlines on imperial measures and crowns on pint glasses.

There is ultimately an emptiness at the heart of the current Conservative Party. Its politics and principles are skin deep and conflicted. It is apparent in almost everything it does, from Remainer Liz Truss becoming the “Brexit candidate” for leadership to the pious Catholic JRM defending the serial liar and philanderer Boris Johnson to the hilt, or the Tory MPs who claim to be cost conscious whilst vetoing the cheapest way to repair the Palace of Westminster because they like being surrounded by old oak and stone. Everything is an image; everything is a meme.

There is an almost complete absence of policy innovation. The party grasps around for yesterday’s answers to yesterday’s problems, copying the homework of a leader who has been out of power for thirty years and dead for ten. It’s why the party recycles so much from the policy intern brain and fails to come up with anything equal to the challenges we face. It does not even propose simple answers for complex problems – just no answers beyond the triple lock and ever rising house prices.

It is not that the Conservative Party is deliberately and mindfully pursuing ends inimical to British interests. Tory MPs do, mostly, want a prosperous and safe country. They’ve just lost any sense of what that means beyond platitudes, or how to engage with the challenges that stand in our way. The party would rather hide behind the curtain, pulling at levers that aren’t attached to anything.

When I read lots of what is said by the popular left, I’m amazed at the image they have of a scheming, conniving Conservative Party, like the one it alleges is running down the NHS to sell it off to private interests. The reality is far scarier.

In a world where the British economy is stagnating and the population is ageing, there is no way to square the circle without raising taxes or reducing services. The Conservative Party is afraid to have either end of that conversation, so lets it spiral. Those that do foresee the problems look to the magic cure of “efficiency savings”, promised in the same way I promise that next summer I will have a six pack: lacking both a concrete plan to do it, and the discipline to implement anything they did think of.

Instead, all the party can do is say things that appeal to the voters who keep returning it – the generally older, wealthier suburban dwellers. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the leadership contest. This weekend, Twitter was ablaze with shock when Rishi Sunak talked about cutting degrees that don't lead to good jobs. Many only the left again took this as an attack on the university sector, or even part of a grand plan to exclude the working classes from the humanities.

In truth, it is neither. It is Sunak appealing to an electorate who came of age when 10% of the population went to university and economic growth carried them to prosperity, who now see their grandchildren laden with debt, unable to buy a home. It’s the “common sense” of the bloke at the end of the Conservative Club bar, nothing more than a trope. It’s not something that will ever seriously happen.

Liz Truss’ plan for every child with three As to be offered an Oxbridge interview is similar politicking. It pays no heed to (i) the burden this places on the university (ii) that for many reasons such a person might not want to go to Oxbridge or (iii) that the highest A-level grade has been A* since 2010. It ignores many of the challenges of widening access, and in particular universities like LSE/UCL/Imperial who have fewer admissions resources per student and make more paper-based decisions which can bias against poorer children.

I could go on through a dozen such announcements – the theme remains the same. Tory MPs, Tory leaders saying what they think the person in front of them wants to hear. No plan for implementation, no plan for adverse consequences, no underpinning logic or principle. They are bricks thrown through windows with no notes attached.

It takes me back to those panic filled cockpits. With an impending crisis, they have lost sight of what levers they hold and what they can do. They’ve lost sight of the mission they need to fulfil, instead debating whether they want the chicken or lamb as the altitude warnings flash. The Conservative Party has fallen into a fundamental problem – it is unwilling and unable to address the needs of the day.

Many people reading this will disagree with me about what those solutions might look like. I am, after all, firmly rooted in the right of centre. But when I look at my own (nominal) party, I feel little but disappointment. From the housing crisis, to the stagnating economy, to law and order, to the health service, there are solutions out there – yet the Party has given up on seeking them, seduced instead by the 24 hour news cycle, the focus group and the Twitter grifters. Neither leadership candidate offers much hope. Sunak looks like he will run the country like a private equity project, cutting any expense he can and damn the consequences, whilst Truss will run it like a village fete of boundless enthusiasm and harking back to the old hits.

Whoever wins in September, the Party will be stuck in the same problem. Even in power it remains incapable of generating and delivering credible policies, incapable of using its resources to tackle the challenges ahead. In an uncertain world it struggles to decide what it wants to do, and even struggles to implement that. The Party has become a machine for garnering headlines and votes but is now starting to stall. Insulated by a media which also focuses on the day-to-day rigmarole of politics-as-soap opera, the leadership are missing the signs of short- and long-term crisis which will soon hit. They are failing to adapt, failing to plan. The sirens are ringing, the ground is coming.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

That's pretty much how I've been thinking. I think lost is where political parties end up when they try to be too broad a church. The ERG and momentum have stretched the 2 main parties to breaking point. You can't keep everyone inside the tent.

It seems to me quite likely we are going to shift to a more coalition type governance and maybe that will help. The Tories and labour can split into a number of parties and they can all form alliances and end up in a coalition.

Shorten these bloody elections (or better yet make them a GE). Seriously what have either truss or Sunak said to sway voters in the last month that they couldn't (and probably did) say on day 1. Have a week to whittle down if you must, have a couple of 'debates' and vote. It's 300,000 papers it doesn't need 3 months.

At present we have a party in power with no ideas and an opposition staying quiet hoping the other side will continue to hang themselves.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

It is rather telling that the piece above comes from The Spectator.

I also agree with the post above; these two candidates are just talking around in circles, seemingly using up time where the effort would be so much better deployed against the actual problems that we have. I sat and listened to Therese Coffey going on about the water companies and reservoirs this morning. Just a load of hot air about what might arise in the future, when the country, the whole lot of us, from the North coast of Scotland to revolutionary militant Eastbourne, need action now.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Good read that EvilC, very telling that it's a Spectator piece which is basically the in-house Tory party magazine.

It's something that's been clear for a while, their core philosophies are not capable of dealing with the major issues we face now and in the coming decades, in fact they exacerbate the problems.

The climate catastrophe, which the current energy crunch is one manifestation of, our soaraway inequality, and our crumbling infrastructure cannot be fixed by privatising everything, cutting tax for the rich, believing in trickle-down myths and regulating markets and corporations less, in fact all those things make it worse.

They absolutely need a long spell out of power to try and sort themselves out and get back in touch with the country.
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

That's a great read EvilC. Thanks for posting.

Meanwhile, in the post above yours. Liz continues her 'tough on anyone who doesn't behave as she wishes' without being 'tough on the reasons for such behaviour'

The Tories, 'running on empty'
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

lol

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

"There are people who want to make the world better, and people who only want to make it better for themselves".
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

OFT wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:40 pm The Tories, 'running on empty'
In one. They have nothing to say of any use.

Good article Evil C - read it yesterday and thought of posting it here myself. Spot on and from one of their own.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

A good read, EC. Whilst it's easy to agree with practically ALL of it, I think, unsurprisingly given where the author is coming from, however, that he underplays the visceral nature of his party's desperation to stay in power.. IMO, it knows no boundaries. And when they're really 'backs to the wall' they revert to rule by division, this, I suspect, whomever 'wins', will be the overriding theme in the run up to the next GE.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Tenbury wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:40 am A good read, EC. Whilst it's easy to agree with practically ALL of it, I think, unsurprisingly given where the author is coming from, however, that he underplays the visceral nature of his party's desperation to stay in power.. IMO, it knows no boundaries. And when they're really 'backs to the wall' they revert to rule by division, this, I suspect, whomever 'wins', will be the overriding theme in the run up to the next GE.
Rich v poor, bosses v workers, haves v have nots, toffs v working class. That sort of thing?
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

WestcliffHammer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:05 am Poor old Liz Truss

Honestly, I don't think protesting like that is very effective, it just makes me feel that person is entitled to shout their opinion over everyone else.

But her response is generally chilling. People throw the word "fascist" around a lot in politics, but effectively taking away both our right to strike and our right to protest? That's pretty hardcore authoritarian stuff.

Tories might clap at this sort of thing, because they don't like the current protest groups, but remember the tide can turn, and it's unlikely your tribe will be in power forever. If a Corbynite type becomes Prime Minister, you might wish you hadn't supported giving your right to protest away.

Similarly, you might never have been in a position where you considered striking, but personal circumstances can change through no fault of your own, and you might end up with a shitty work situation, wishing your employment rights hadn't been flushed down the toilet too.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:53 am Rich v poor, bosses v workers, haves v have nots, toffs v working class. That sort of thing?
Yes, but the Tories do it so much more extreme & successfully than Labour..
YGNB
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by YGNB »

smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

YGNB wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:02 am
And just to reiterate that, the Sunday Express front page is pretty much a photo of her for the old tories to drool over.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

That Spectator piece could have been written at any time in the last 30 years.

The last original idea the Tories had was to elect Thatcher.

They've had nothing since.Truss will win because pensioners will mistakenly believe she's T2.

We're doomed. Two more years with JRM as PM.