The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-2022

Post by Junco Partner »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:38 pm Yep. And whilst the numbers change, that's been the case for a century.

What would be your solution to ensure such an undemocratic voting system is changed in such a way to both satisfy the majority and prevent disastrous outcomes?
Proportional systems where 43% of the votes equates as closely to possible to 43% of the seats are so obviously fairer and more democratic, it's the reason why every European state uses one except us and Belarus.

More proportional systems provide more collaborative less adversarial government, do better with long term planning and stability, score higher on voter turnout & satisfaction and mean less safe-seats, less wasted votes and more variety in representation.

Would Johnson have got away with his law-breaking, corruption and incompetence if there had have been a coalition party's ministers in cabinet? Of course not.

Time for an upgrade.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Yep, fair enough. The Tory - Lib/Dem coalition showed just how well such models can work.

I'm guessing you'll blame the Tories for that shambles, but as soon as a minority party gets a sniff, they get their noses well and truly in the trough.

Look at the Lib Dems and their about faces on (for example) student loans. Exactly the same as the Tories this time around.

So they can't be trusted I suppose?

Still, I'm sure you're right. Your system would be better. It works so well in other countries. Italy for example.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:31 pm Where have I said that
In your post above.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:43 pm Yep, fair enough. The Tory - Lib/Dem coalition showed just how well such models can work.

I'm guessing you'll blame the Tories for that shambles, but as soon as a minority party gets a sniff, they get their noses well and truly in the trough.

Look at the Lib Dems and their about faces on (for example) student loans. Exactly the same as the Tories this time around.

So they can't be trusted I suppose?

Still, I'm sure you're right. Your system would be better. It works so well in other countries. Italy for example.
The LDs in coalition isn't just like the current government at all though.

The argument was that FPTP lead to strong government. The last three years should have put that to bed.
simon hammer
Has liked: 994 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Remember kids...if voting worked, it would be banned!

FPTP, pr, etc etc...pointless as a chocolate tea pot.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Junco Partner wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:33 pm Time for an upgrade.
Would it be an upgrade in practice?

Take 2019 which delivered a big majority govt, how would that have planned out under pr? According to electoral reform the Tories would have been unlikely to form a govt. To get to a majority you would have needed labour and about 5 or 6 other parties in coalition. Or you run a minority and spend 5 years doing nothing.

As the parties currently stand it feels like a recipe for lots of buying off. Do manifestoes go out of the window a bit?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

EvilC wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:53 pm In your post above.
I really didnt
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

simon hammer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:56 pm Remember kids...if voting worked, it would be banned!

FPTP, pr, etc etc...pointless as a chocolate tea pot.
So what do you suggest? You've dismissed the more equitable options - what's your favoured option? Communism? Totalinarianism? Dictatorship?

Easy to object, harder to come up with something constructive, innit?
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"

Post by Junco Partner »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:43 pm Still, I'm sure you're right. Your system would be better. It works so well in other countries. Italy for example.
It's not just my opinion, it's the opinion of almost every democracy in the world. When the wall fell and the eastern states freed themselves from dictatorship not one picked FPTP as their electoral system. Belarus and ourselves, that's it, that's the company we keep in the FPTP club.
Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:43 pm Yep, fair enough. The Tory - Lib/Dem coalition showed just how well such models can work.
It shows how any system that gave a party with 23% of the vote 8% of the seats, and gives a party with 36% of the vote 47% of the seats is fundamentally undemocratic. So if the result was mirrored under a more proportional system (C=36%, L=29%, LD=23%) who can tell how the coalition would have developed, or even if it would have automatically been C-LD, if it was the power dynamics would have been very different with the LD views represented much more.....so who knows.

I do agree that Tories do generally turn anything they touch into a shambles, their philosophy dictates it, Johnson is the latest in a long line of shamblers.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Junco Partner wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:59 pm I do agree that Tories do generally turn anything they touch into a shambles, their philosophy dictates it, Johnson is the latest in a long line of shamblers.
'The midnight shambler'..
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:08 pm Would it be an upgrade in practice?
Undoubtedly.
The record of 100,000 golf-club bores & Daily Mail subscribers picking our Prime Minister for us is poor, it'll be no different this time out.
SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:08 pmTake 2019 which delivered a big majority govt, how would that have planned out under pr? According to electoral reform the Tories would have been unlikely to form a govt. To get to a majority you would have needed labour and about 5 or 6 other parties in coalition. Or you run a minority and spend 5 years doing nothing.
With FPTP we have high levels of non-voting, and within those that do bother there are high levels of tactical voting, You see it on here when an election comes around, the amount of us 'trapped' in safe seats who feel our vote is pointless is sky high, you amongst us Sammy if I remember right. So once freed from the FPTP straightjacket who knows how voting patterns would shift and how 2019 would have turned out. Just carrying % votes under FPTP across to see what would happen under PR is a fools errand. But 43% of the votes would not and should not get 56% of the seats that's for sure.
SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:08 pmAs the parties currently stand it feels like a recipe for lots of buying off. Do manifestoes go out of the window a bit?
What you call 'buying off' is what other democracies call negotiation, concession, consensus. The need to turn centrally to build a consensus is what makes it work, whereas in this Truss/Sunak effort you see them turn rightward because they're beholden to the headbanger wing of their party to bestow power. The experience with PR is the electorates are intelligent enough to know what to expect, as the song says "You can't always get what you want...but you get that you need" so when the buying off/consensus building begins its all part of the process. It's a jump from our elected dictatorship model, but its one the modern world demands.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:44 pm Again what is it you are wanting him to do right now?
How about something like this? …

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... re-poverty

… or do you think we are in such a wonderful position that we can afford for these c**** to spend months and months doing zip?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:23 pm How about something like this? …

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... re-poverty

… or do you think we are in such a wonderful position that we can afford for these ***** to spend months and months doing zip?
Gordon Brown? Seriously?

The systemic problems of structural public sector debt, excessive debt interest and a public addiction to 0% interest rates are down to that bloke's incompetence and you're offering him as an answer?

"No more Boom and bust" was replaced by Brown's life on Whacko Jacko's Never-Never land for actually paying for stuff, yet everyone is.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Maybe your hatred of Brown left you unable to focus on and take in the article and words in my post. To help you out …

I didn’t suggest that Gordon Brown should take the reins.

Gordon Brown wasn’t suggesting that he should take the reins.

Brown is suggesting that Johnson, Sunak and Truss, you know, the actual government, put together an emergency budget this week.

Brown’s suggestion sounds fairly sensible to me given what an unprecedently, huge percentage of the country now face.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

If a club sacks their manager, they don't give the caretaker and the physio money to spend in the transfer market do they?

This is the same situation, just the process is hamstrung by the fact that the club has to ask all its season ticket holders before they appoint a new boss.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Denbighammer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:52 am If a club sacks their manager, they don't give the caretaker and the physio money to spend in the transfer market do they?

This is the same situation, just the process is hamstrung by the fact that the club has to ask all its season ticket holders before they appoint a new boss.
If clubs sack their manager the manager isn’t still there as a caretaker so it isn’t the same situation at all.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Denbighammer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:52 am If a club sacks their manager, they don't give the caretaker and the physio money to spend in the transfer market do they?

You sack your manager he doesn't hang about until the new manager comes in tho

Edit evil got there 10 seconds before me lol
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Junco Partner wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:26 am

Sunak caught on video saying he’ll take money from deprived urban areas to help wealthy Tory towns

Wealthy Tory Towns? Areas of Tunbridge Wells are some of the most deprived areas of the country, but don't let facts get in the way. Don't let the minority affluent areas lead you to this false misconception.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

-DL- wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:29 am Wealthy Tory Towns? Areas of Tunbridge Wells are some of the most deprived areas of the country, but don't let facts get in the way. Don't let the minority affluent areas lead you to this false misconception.
That's absolutely staggering if true, I'm from near Tunbridge Wells and have lived in much poorer areas of the country, and while it's definitely true that everywhere has its' rough areas, I never knew Tunbridge Wells had anything like the poverty you find in other areas. I've done a quick google and Tunbridge Wells has the least children in absolute poverty of any Kent local authority-

https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... overty.pdf

If you'd share the facts you have I'd be grateful, because I certainly agreed with the opinion that Rishi was hurting the poorest people, and if that isn't the case my view would totally change.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

-DL- wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:29 am Areas of Tunbridge Wells are some of the most deprived areas of the country, but don't let facts get in the way.
By which measurement are they the most deprived? Genuine enquiry.