The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-2024

Post by bonzosbeard »

Junco Partner wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:46 pm He's going to be mad when he finds out that the rules were announced at a press conference an hour earlier that day by <checks notes> Boris Johnson!
I have just seen this interview. I cant believe it. How out of touch can you be.

He's a goner.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Our PM telling us nobody told him he was breaking the rules. What leadership...

If the saner members of his party haven't chased him out of Number 10 by this time next week then abandon all hope.

The only deflection the usual right wing frothers on social media have is to pile on that Covid rule breaking Beth Rigby was the one the asking the questions.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

This must be (even more of) a nightmare for anyone that has to enforce the rules, he certainly doesn't make it easy for them
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

sendô wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:53 pm Remember way back in 2010 when we all thought Gordon Brown would be the worst Prime Minister of our lifetimes?

How naive we all were.
And still we are here saying the next one must be better.

I'd have brown as one of 4 people since Thatcher than had any idea why they wanted power (other than the power). He was screwed by the chancellor that preceded his premiership and the banks. He is a bit like a player that gets better in people's eyes while he is out injured and some other idiot keeps scoring own goals.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:26 pm And still we are here saying the next one must be better.
Firstly, I'd argue they could barely be worst but is anyone, at all, saying "the next one must be better"? (my bolding). Second, what is your point/ argument here? Because it looks like it's "be careful what you wish for" or inertia or fatalism but I dare say it's another option I haven't thought about so is it one of them or something else Sammy? Genuine question.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Junco Partner wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:15 pm One is funded by a million people paying £1, the other by 1 person paying a million pounds.

Which will have the best interests of people as it's guiding light?
So the choice is what's worse, a million people buying favours or just one?
Denbighammer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:10 pm If he's "willing to testify under oath" is that not just code for "I haven't got any actual evidence" (ie pics emails etc)
I struggle to believe that for a bloke that has such a data fetish he didn't email BJ his concerns so he had written evidence.......
DrVenk
Has liked: 362 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

EvilC wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:46 pm But the whole point of "they are all as bad as each other" is that it is used to prevent discussing politics. It is also b*llocks IMO.
:newthumb:

Standard political debating tricks: Deny, Dismiss, Query, Deflate, Deflect, Tarnish. They usually operate in that order.

- What problem?
- Admit their might be a problem but onus is still on you to demonstrate it
- Accept there seems to be a problem, but question whether we have the full facts
- With full facts, acknowledge there is definitely a problem, but does it matter really?
- Ok, so it does matter but what about that bloke drinking a beer, ay?
- Ah bollox - they’re all the same!

Once you're hit with tarnish the lot of them, your interlocutor usually has nowhere left to go.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 920 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

No way Brown would have allowed anything remotely like a party in similar circumstances, nor May for that matter, they knew the seriousness of their position. Blair maybe, but not the party-scene this clown ran, Cameron would have been sneakier about it, and only the right donors, journo's and a few Russians would have been let in.
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

So SAGE. must have known about the rule breaks, Sir Starmer obeyed the rules and yet he has caught covid more than anyone else.
You could conclude the rules where useless.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 920 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

There were no parties
<evidence>
Everything was within guidelines
<evidence>
I didn't attend and am furious there were parties in my house
<evidence>
It was a work event & I didn't know it was a party and only went or 25 minutes
<evidence>
Nobody told me a party was against the rules....that I wrote.

Its just getting ridiculous.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

666 hammer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:21 pm So SAGE. must have known about the rule breaks, Sir Starmer obeyed the rules and yet he has caught covid more than anyone else.
You could conclude the rules where useless.
SAGE aren't based in Downing Street or these Whitehall offices we keep hearing about. Bit odd to chuck them in but I guess any meat shield for Dear Boris is a good meat shield.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:38 pm Firstly, I'd argue they could barely be worst but is anyone, at all, saying "the next one must be better"? (my bolding). Second, what is your point/ argument here? Because it looks like it's "be careful what you wish for" or inertia or fatalism but I dare say it's another option I haven't thought about so is it one of them or something else Sammy? Genuine question.
It's cynicism mate. I've known or met dozens of politicians at all levels and from the 3 big parties. Grew up surrounded by NUM and NUT union people. If and when push comes to shove they were all in it for themselves. There's nothing wrong with that of course just don't try and sell it as for the people. The levels of everyday, low level corruption that goes on, the money funneled away from taxpayers to party faithful, the jobs for friends and family, the funding spent to self promote, incompetence, waste and plain old theft all dressed up as the way it works is staggering. I dread to think of everything that goes on.

I would never vote for anyone tied to the main parties. I'd go for an independent with a cause of one came around but they rarely do.

I didn't think anyone could be worse than Major but you look back and he appears almost a high point of the last 40 years. Starmer certainly can't be more buffoonish than johnson but I would bet decent money by year 3 or 4 he has ground to a halt. I could be wrong because tbh I have absolutely no idea what he stands for except not being Boris. He gives the impression of not even being able to control his party never mind hold together a coalition or minority govt. Staggeringly that might actually be better I guess.
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:30 pm SAGE aren't based in Downing Street or these Whitehall offices we keep hearing about. Bit odd to chuck them in but I guess any meat shield for Dear Boris is a good meat shield.
Silly me. I thought the daily covid briefing was from Downing Street. I guess SAGE was barred due to the restrictions. Must have been all done via zoom.
WestcliffHammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by WestcliffHammer »

So by admitting full responsibility by not taking full responsibility it was actually great to see him crestfallen broken and completely backed into a corner you have no moves left. You're not quite so Teflon now
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

I’d quite like to see somebody fresh step in. Somebody with more conservative tendencies like Steve Baker would be ideal.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

How about a return to Tory proper old school, core Conservative values, Government for big corporate banks and oil companies and f*** all the rest of us ?
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:13 pm How about a return to Tory proper old school, core Conservative values, Government for big corporate banks and oil companies and **** all the rest of us ?
That didn’t necessarily dry up under a different colour government.
Odd how some people take a dim view on private sector profit but turn a blind eye to public sector wastefulness.
OFT
Has liked: 3235 likes
Total likes: 1851 likes

Post by OFT »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:13 pm How about a return to Tory proper old school, core Conservative values, Government for big corporate banks and oil companies and **** all the rest of us ?
Jacob Rees-Mogg is ready and waiting for that gig.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

OFT wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:38 pm Jacob Rees-Mogg is ready and waiting for that gig.
Lets hope so.