The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-2022

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:08 pm Cannot believe the last 10 pages have been a constant twisting, turning and hair splitting into the fact that a "leader" told his people to do one thing, and then did something else himself.
It's more bearable if you imagine it not being dissimilar to 1930s Germany.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Re: Next UK General Election (likely late 2024 or Jan 2025)

Post by Denbighammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:15 pm
Wales will be the only functioning devolved parliament soon, while all the UK parties and Alex Salmond will be spying an opportunity north of the border.
:crylol: you wanna try living here!!

The Welsh government are utterly useless. Tourism tax, 20mph speed limits (£30m in New Road signs), all road building projects arbitrarily stopped regardless of need or current progress or money spent already. Any criticism and it isn't their fault, it's Westminster (spit on the floor). I dunno what they'd do if we got a Labour PM, who would they blame?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Denbighammer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:06 pm :crylol: you wanna try living here!!

The Welsh government are utterly useless. Tourism tax, 20mph speed limits (£30m in New Road signs), all road building projects arbitrarily stopped regardless of need or current progress or money spent already. Any criticism and it isn't their fault, it's Westminster (spit on the floor). I dunno what they'd do if we got a Labour PM, who would they blame?

Yep. In my short time if being here, it seems the sun shines out of the Welsh Government's arse, and they are the victims of Westminster.

The NHS is the big one. I was talking to the other half quite flippantly initially about the NHS in Wales being as **** as the English one - and she went in to a tirade against central government and didn't wanna listen when I said it was actually funded and run by The Welsh Government - and she was having none of it, saying how Wales is the forgotten part of The UK. Then I pointed out the amount of central goverment funding oer capita compared to other UK nations - but nope - still Westminster's fault and she want on to say Wales should be left to go it alone entirely.

My response was, good, bugger off then and see how good things will be then.

It didn't go down very well 🤣
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Yeah the NHS is a total mess, especially up here. Our health board are in special measures again (after being so for YEARS :shock: previously). Three of my family work in the local hospital and they have never known it so bad. The management is Billy Smart +

Don't get me stated on the councils!!
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Loftyhammer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:09 pm Maybe I’m being naive but I still struggle to understand how a party like that is able to be relevant…genuinely saddens me :furrow:
With both parties trying to out centre each other it gives more choice, similar to what would happen the other way if the far left cranks still infesting the Labour party buggered off and formed their own party.......
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Loftyhammer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:09 pm Maybe I’m being naive but I still struggle to understand how a party like that is able to be relevant…genuinely saddens me :furrow:
Why would it sadden you?
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:33 pm No they should lose their jobs. It should be out of their hands.
I’m cool with this game if it’s the one you want to play. The Conservatives will run out of sufficient bodies to function way before anyone else does 👍🙂
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:08 pm Cannot believe the last 10 pages have been a constant twisting, turning and hair splitting into the fact that a "leader" told his people to do one thing, and then did something else himself.

No matter how many ways some posters want to approach this, the end result is always the same, yet on we go with the minimalising and trivialising.

Is it any wonder that man got away with the length of "career" he has, with this level of backing and excusing by some.

FFS. :fsake:
Agreed. Johnson would be happy to see a lot of the contributions on here these last few pages playing down what he did, whataboutery, deflection, etc. It’s been like a Johnson tribute band in that respect.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:08 pm Boris has admitted to the misdemeanour he was issued a FPN for, because he has paid the fine for it. For misleading/lying to Parliament, he should be told to F off. But that isn't what my inital post was about.

I think if you wanted Boris to resign for getting a FPN (specifically getting a FPN, not anything wider than that) then you should want Burnham to resign.
He didn't admit the misdemeanor until it was evident he didn't have a leg to stand on. Initially he blamed it on nameless advisors who didn't brief him properly.
"in all frankness at that time it did not occur to me that this might have been a breach of the rules".
I knew, you knew, your dog knew that it wasn't OK to sit around in the office eating cake with your wife. We were barely allowed out of the house at the time. You really think he didn't know?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:15 am I’m cool with this game if it’s the one you want to play. The Conservatives will run out of sufficient bodies to function way before anyone else does 👍🙂
You are of course free to think that. Id lay odds there wouldn't be much between them looking at recent history. Of course competition isn't the point it's the problem.
SammyLeeWasOffside

mumbles87 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:30 pm Now your back tracking

You were directly comparing them

Burnham did wrong same as other members of office have done wrong for speeding .. dealt with accordingly

Boris. Different kettle of fish

Nobody in office should or would lose their job for speeding
How am I backtracking?

Johnson was also dealt with accordingly but you seem to think that's not sufficient.

Again though I am not/have not argued about the punishments. I do think both should be job losing things. My interest is the different response to different politicians being issued a FPN, to my mind it lacks consistency.
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:24 am How am I backtracking?

Johnson was also dealt with accordingly but you seem to think that's not sufficient.

Again though I am not/have not argued about the punishments. I do think both should be job losing things. My interest is the different response to different politicians being issued a FPN, to my mind it lacks consistency.
Murderers go to prison, shoplifters get a fine. Where's the consistency?

There's a sliding scale of outcomes depending on the action, fact of life. The question is whether it's more serious to break a law and brazenly lie about it to the entire country whilst Prime Minister, or to speed and hold your hands up about it.

No comparison at all between the actions, no reason for the outcomes to be consistent.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:36 am Murderers go to prison, shoplifters get a fine. Where's the consistency?

There's a sliding scale of outcomes depending on the action,
Oh, the irony.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:22 am Oh, the irony.
Its only irony if you are so in denial of the issue that you still see it as no more than a bit of cake.

To those who understand the concepts of leadership and its responsibilities, then maybe it is a tad bigger than a misdemeanour.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Johnson got an FPN for what happened in terms of him breaking Covid guidelines.

He's now being investigated as to whether he lied to parliament about the gatherings in 10 Downing Street.

They're separate and different things.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

if you think a sitting member of government (on any level) should lose their job for a motor offence then you would either see a wave of both good and bad people leave their roles , or expenses claims for drivers for all MPs etc

then where do you stand on speed awareness courses? they are being done but dont have to declare for insurance.. plead guilty to get it.. by your own crazy made up standard they should be gone

plus as above boris didnt lose his job for his FPN
SammyLeeWasOffside

YorksHammer wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:35 am Johnson got an FPN for what happened in terms of him breaking Covid guidelines.

He's now being investigated as to whether he lied to parliament about the gatherings in 10 Downing Street.

They're separate and different things.
That's exactly what I am saying
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:16 pm That's exactly what I am saying
Why didn't you say that then....... :wink: :lol: :lol:
SammyLeeWasOffside

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:34 pm if you think a sitting member of government (on any level) should lose their job for a motor offence then you would either see a wave of both good and bad people leave their roles , or expenses claims for drivers for all MPs etc

then where do you stand on speed awareness courses? they are being done but dont have to declare for insurance.. plead guilty to get it.. by your own crazy made up standard they should be gone

plus as above boris didnt lose his job for his FPN
Nobody forces them into these jobs.

If you are found guilty of an offence you should be gone imo. I'm not asking anyone to agree I am merely pointing out the different response to one fpn over another.

The pn and chancellor were labelled criminals for their fpn. Burnhams fpn shouldn't cause good people to lose their job. I know I'm jamming together reactions from different posters which is unfair but I haven't seen anyone gleefully labelling Burnham a criminal.

As for not tolerating anything, I haven't got to that point overnight. We have tolerated all sorts for years and nothing changes. Tolerance of 'little things' gets you in the end to things like Johnson. MPs have shown from years of experience that they cannot follow the spirit of rules so take the spirit out and make it finite.

We are at the point where the senior MP on the standards committee thinks more rules are pointless because mps will game the system. They have given up even trying. If they can't behave to standards then standards need to be imposed on them, it's not like they haven't had decades to get their house in order. Zero tolerance, let everyone know the score when they sign up.
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:22 am Oh, the irony.
Can you please explain please?