The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Re: Next UK General Election (likely late 2024 or Jan 2025)

Post by bubbles1966 »

So, the SNP elect a new leader, Humza Yousaf.

A gift of a surname for the pun-writers , given how close it is to the word useless, and his victory bears the trademark score of ongoing harmony - 52-48.

He was nearly outpolled by Kate Forbes, who has devout Christian views.

Meanwhile, the Greens are threatening to collapse the coalition government over self ID.

Wales will be the only functioning devolved parliament soon, while all the UK parties and Alex Salmond will be spying an opportunity north of the border.
Baron Von Marlon
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-2022

Post by Baron Von Marlon »

But someone should lose office for having a birthday cake presented to them, briefing the press about said birthday cake and then being retrospectively fined for it?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:16 pm But someone should lose office for having a birthday cake presented to them, briefing the press about said birthday cake and then being retrospectively fined for it?
That's not why he could be losing his seat.

He lied to the house about it.

It's two different situations

They even have said it's not to do if the party happened or not as that's proven it's if he knowingly lied to the house about it.

You can't lie to the house. Undermines the entire thing
Baron Von Marlon

mumbles87 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:39 pm That's not why he could be losing his seat.

He lied to the house about it.

It's two different situations

They even have said it's not to do if the party happened or not as that's proven it's if he knowingly lied to the house about it.

You can't lie to the house. Undermines the entire thing
Sammy has already stated he is not talking about lying to Parliament. I'm not sure which part of that you don't understand

Johnson and Burnham were both issued with fixed penalty notices (one each, Bois for having a bithday cake, Burnham for speeding). Many on here called for Boris to be sacked for it. No one has called for Burnham to be sacked for it.

Sammy thinks they both should, I don't think either should. Sammy thinks there should be some consistency, which is right.

But then he gets labelled a Tory lover for it. Looking for consistency doesn't automatically make anyone a Tory
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I can't see why everyone would be surprised, populism is predicated upon adherence to rules when they suit your purpose, and the gloryification of flouting them when they don't.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:52 pm Sammy has already stated he is not talking about lying to Parliament. I'm not sure which part of that you don't understand

Johnson and Burnham were both issued with fixed penalty notices (one each, Bois for having a bithday cake, Burnham for speeding). Many on here called for Boris to be sacked for it. No one has called for Burnham to be sacked for it.

Sammy thinks they both should, I don't think either should. Sammy thinks there should be some consistency, which is right.

But then he gets labelled a Tory lover for it. Looking for consistency doesn't automatically make anyone a Tory
No.
Baron Von Marlon

EvilC wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:59 pmNo.
But that is what he was fined for? He was present, as well as our now PM, at a gathering in between meetings where he was presented with a birthday cake.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:08 pm But that is what he was fined for? He was present, as well as our now PM, at a gathering in between meetings where he was presented with a birthday cake.
No, it isn't. Being presented with a cake, as far as I am aware, is not an offence. The cake, as you know, is irrelevant. Mentioning it is an attempt to belittle what happened. To clear things up, he was fined for breaching lockdown rules.

Anyway, carry on.
Baron Von Marlon

EvilC wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:14 pm No, it isn't. Being presented with a cake, as far as I am aware, is not an offence. The cake, as you know, is irrelevant. Mentioning it is an attempt to belittle what happened. To clear things up, he was fined for breaching lockdown rules.

Anyway, carry on.
To me, the birthday cake is the reason he was fined, it changed the gathering from work to social, which was against the rules at the time. Hence why I mentioned it and so that others where aware of the incident I was talking about, not any of the other gatherings he attended that he was not fined for.

Anyway, carry on
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:18 pm To me, the birthday cake is the reason he was fined, it changed the gathering from work to social, which was against the rules at the time. Hence why I mentioned it and so that others where aware of the incident I was talking about, not any of the other gatherings he attended that he was not fined for.

Anyway, carry on
The big group of people not there for work is why he was fined.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:18 pm To me, the birthday cake is the reason he was fined, it changed the gathering from work to social, which was against the rules at the time. Hence why I mentioned it and so that others where aware of the incident I was talking about, not any of the other gatherings he attended that he was not fined for.

Anyway, carry on
How many party's was he fined for that he said never took place?

He repeatedly lied about it

His defence is he is an idiot and didn't realise it was a party even though suitcases of booze were brought into the room

He's a liar , proven repeatedly

He broke his own rules

He lied to the house about it. That is key and don't try and play it down because that's all that matters the lying to the house
Baron Von Marlon

mumbles87 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:29 pm How many party's was he fined for that he said never took place?
None as far as i’m aware, as they briefed that one to the press and the Times reported it.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:52 pm Sammy has already stated he is not talking about lying to Parliament. I'm not sure which part of that you don't understand

You don't think that Andy Burnham, who doesn't make the laws about speeding and hasn't repeatedly appeared on TV telling people not to speed, should be treated differently to Boris Johnson?

You don't feel that Burnham has done the right thing by admitting to his misdemeanor, and that Johnson should do the same instead of continuing to brazen it out to an enquiry?

Consistency? My fat arse.
Baron Von Marlon

Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:35 pm You don't think that Andy Burnham, who doesn't make the laws about speeding and hasn't repeatedly appeared on TV telling people not to speed, should be treated differently to Boris Johnson?

You don't feel that Burnham has done the right thing by admitting to his misdemeanor, and that Johnson should do the same instead of continuing to brazen it out to an enquiry?

Consistency? My fat arse.
Boris has admitted to the misdemeanour he was issued a FPN for, because he has paid the fine for it. For misleading/lying to Parliament, he should be told to F off. But that isn't what my inital post was about.

I think if you wanted Boris to resign for getting a FPN (specifically getting a FPN, not anything wider than that) then you should want Burnham to resign.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1228 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:52 pm Johnson and Burnham were both issued with fixed penalty notices (one each, Bois for having a bithday cake, Burnham for speeding)... there should be some consistency
You state Burnham's offense, but merely interpret Johnson's.

And you want consistency.
Baron Von Marlon

last.caress wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:13 pm You state Burnham's offense, but merely interpret Johnson's.

And you want consistency.
And I gave my reasons for, as even on this page of the forum it is clear that some are not aware of the exact gathering that he was given the fpn for, hence my use of the birthday cake to highlight the example.

Everyone knows he was given a fpn for breaking covid rules
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1228 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:20 pm Everyone knows he was given a fpn for breaking covid rules
Say that, then.

Not

"Burnham was fined for speeding, Johnson had a birthday cake"

But

"Burnham was fined for speeding, Johnson was fined for breaking COVID rules"

Your repeated justifications for stating the one whilst simultaneously and very deliberately trivialising the other are fatally damaging your request for consistency.
Baron Von Marlon

Fair enough, I don’t mean to trivialise is, so apologies if it comes across that way, as for me a fpn is a fpn regardless of what it’s for.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Cannot believe the last 10 pages have been a constant twisting, turning and hair splitting into the fact that a "leader" told his people to do one thing, and then did something else himself.

No matter how many ways some posters want to approach this, the end result is always the same, yet on we go with the minimalising and trivialising.

Is it any wonder that man got away with the length of "career" he has, with this level of backing and excusing by some.

FFS. :fsake:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:08 pm Cannot believe the last 10 pages have been a constant twisting, turning and hair splitting into the fact that a "leader" told his people to do one thing, and then did something else himself.

No matter how many ways some posters want to approach this, the end result is always the same, yet on we go with the minimalising and trivialising.

Is it any wonder that man got away with the length of "career" he has, with this level of backing and excusing by some.

FFS. :fsake:
Boris is fantastic at playing the clown , the bumbling assassin

It masks so much of his bullying and general disregard for everyone else

I met someone who was his protection during COVID (since moved to riot police for an easier life!) He says everything you hear is true and worse but he can't go into detail

I remember reading when he had COVID his staff at to block doors off as he kept just walking into offices as he doesn't respect the rules of isolation

But hey that's fine because the mayor of Manchester got done for speeding