The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-202?

Post by EvilC »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:35 am Are there enough honest MPs to back him? Fair play coming out
Not yet.

My MP communicates with the proles via her Facebook page, doing the odd bit on local transport, some clips when she stands up in parliament to talk about niche issues that whilst they are important don’t mean a lot to most people and acting as some sort of local information service on power cuts and burst water mains.

She absolutely refuses to engage on any important issues, always votes with the government and there is absolutely no way you will get a VONC letter out of her until it is clear that there is a tide of the things about to land on the appropriate desk. It simply isn’t good for her fledgling career as an MP.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:35 am Are there enough honest MPs to back him?
No. If there were, enough letters of no confidence would have been submitted long ago and a leadership contest would have been triggered.

What there might be, if opinion polls continue to reflect that Johnson is a drag on his party’s prospects, is enough self-interested MPs who decide they need to get rid. Even then, the lack of any outstanding alternative, might lead them to believe they are best off sticking with him. That in itself shows the state they have got themselves into. The likes of Ruth Davidson and Rory Stewart would go down well with people in this country but because of the way Johnson hollowed out his party of their political types, there is no way such a person could stand let alone win.

Fair play to Mark Harper. He gives the lie to the “they’re all the same” mantra and proves, unsurprisingly to me, that there are people of pride, integrity and principles in Tory parliamentary ranks.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

EvilC wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:45 am Not yet.

My MP communicates with the proles via her Facebook page, doing the odd bit on local transport, some clips when she stands up in parliament to talk about niche issues that whilst they are important don’t mean a lot to most people and acting as some sort of local information service on power cuts and burst water mains.

She absolutely refuses to engage on any important issues, always votes with the government and there is absolutely no way you will get a VONC letter out of her until it is clear that there is a tide of the things about to land on the appropriate desk. It simply isn’t good for her fledgling career as an MP.
That's why this Tory government is the worst. You could respect may, Cameron, major (to young for any of the others) I may not agree with their policies but they held themsleves a lot better than Johnson.
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:22 pm How the **** has his party not forced him to resign yet? Tory voters must be going spare at this!?

If he was in any other job int the world - newsreader, milkman, DJ - his company would have dumped him and he’d have been forced to resign.

I cannot believe that he’s still in a job…yet alone running the ****ing country.
They haven't got to yet, best to let him take the stick and then dump him giving the new leader a year or so before the next election.......
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

delbert wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:34 am They haven't got to yet, best to let him take the stick and then dump him giving the new leader a year or so before the next election.......
That's 'realpolitik' and very likely to happen. Was even thinking a sudden resignation in PMQs (not so likely though).
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

delbert wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:34 am They haven't got to yet, best to let him take the stick and then dump him giving the new leader a year or so before the next election.......
This. Plus who would they replace him with.

This drawn out political death is why it shouldn't be their choice to resign. Found guilty of breaking the law should be an automatic sacking, not just from a ministerial role as most do when they resign, from being an MP. Time to go write your book.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Stories yesterday that Johnson did indeed intervene and pressure the Premier League to allow the Saudis to take over Newcastle.

In unrelated news Jamie Reuben bankrolled Johnsons leadership campaign in 2019, led his mayoral campaign in 2012, has given £800k to the tory party and is now co-owner of Newcastle.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:46 am In unrelated news Jamie Reuben bankrolled Johnsons leadership campaign in 2019, led his mayoral campaign in 2012, has given £800k to the tory party and is now co-owner of Newcastle.
That's hardly unique to Johnson or indeed the Tories is it?

I'd say very few people fund politicians out of the goodness of their heart. Most expect something in return don't they?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:54 am No. If there were, enough letters of no confidence would have been submitted long ago and a leadership contest would have been triggered.

Douglas Ross the leader of the Scottish Conservatives wrote to the 1922 Committee claiming Boris Johnson's position as Leader was untenable......then withdrew it after Putin invaded Ukraine . Fine lines and all that , I guess Ross didn't want to be seen to be upsetting the applecart while Boris was fighting on the beaches knee deep in blood and bullets .

We used to have decent politicians who did the right thing in the UK , what happened to them ?
SammyLeeWasOffside

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:42 am We used to have decent politicians who did the right thing in the UK , what happened to them ?
What do you mean by do the right thing tomos? Resign when caught or actually just do the right thing in the first place?

I guess there was more of a resign if you get caught attitude in the past. How many would have gone if they hadn't been exposed though.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Maybe I'm wrong on this one, but by leaving him there, he''s just rubbing his shitty smell all over the rest of the party. It's not going to be a great look for any half-decent Tory MP to come out and have to defend this clown is it?

It reminds me a bit of momentum. The whle party is being tainted because of their failure to deal with something right now. Who will be clean and available when they do eventually get shot of him?
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

What a **** of a man and what a **** of a government.
What more will it take ?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:48 am What do you mean by do the right thing tomos? Resign when caught or actually just do the right thing in the first place?

I guess there was more of a resign if you get caught attitude in the past.
Both .

I don't know , perhaps it's just me or maybe it's the world we now live in , maybe it's Social Media or maybe I'm just talking bollox as usual but when I was a lad Politicians seemed to have more standing , they came across as intelligent , most came with a modicum of decency - if they broke the Ministerial Code they resigned , nowadays you can be thick as pig sh*t and become Home Secretary , you can break the Ministerial Code and stay in your job [ and I'm talking about Politicians from all Parties here , Tory , Labour , SNP ] , there are no morals in Politics any more . Perhaps it was always thus and I'm looking back with some sort of rose tinted glasses ?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:03 pm Both .

I don't know , perhaps it's just me or maybe it's the world we now live in , maybe it's Social Media or maybe I'm just talking bollox as usual but when I was a lad Politicians seemed to have more standing , they came across as intelligent , most came with a modicum of decency - if they broke the Ministerial Code they resigned , nowadays you can be thick as pig sh*t and become Home Secretary , you can break the Ministerial Code and stay in your job [ and I'm talking about Politicians from all Parties here , Tory , Labour , SNP ] , there are no morals in Politics any more . Perhaps it was always thus and I'm looking back with some sort of rose tinted glasses ?
I doubt any previous Tory PM (or any other party for that matter) would have survived the last 3 years and certainly wouldn't have survived the last 6 months.

We've seen plenty of shitheads tank the economy before, but I don't think we've had any lie to parliament (and the electorate) and still sit there happy as larry. What I find most odd is that so few of his Tory MP's aren't banging on about it. How many skeletons must they have in their wardrobe to be so terrified of doing their job?
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

"Humbled" "Move on" "Sir Beer Korma".

What a prick.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:03 pm Both .

I make you right about a lack of morals in Westminster. There was far more dignity and general decorum in Parliament in the past, when most people looked up to and respected politicians irrespective of whichever political party they represented. In those far off days, all acted with statesmanship. Nowaday, it's just any ol riff raff and any ol' Tom, Dick and Harry
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Here's your next chapter....
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Is it just the anti conservatives / media / tories / boris / Brexit lot that are banging this drum? Really boring now.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Georgee Paris wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:36 pm Is it just the anti conservatives / media / tories / boris / Brexit lot that are banging this drum? Really boring now.
Anyone that is interested in any sort of standards in government really. I appreciate that this stuff is a bit uncomfortable if you voted for him and continue to endorse him, but feel free to try and ignore it if that's the case.