The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-2022

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

mumbles87 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:04 pm

What should happen is an election as we the people have zero say
The people had their say at the last GE. Like it or not, they chose the Tories.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

mumbles87 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:04 pm He could have resigned there and then leaving raab to take over anyways..

What should happen is an election as we the people have zero say
That doesn't answer the question though.

Agree on an election I've said it a few times before. That or shift away from the presidential style of PMs
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:39 pm The people had their say at the last GE. Like it or not, they chose the Tories.
Ah yes the lend the votes to the Tory election to "get brexit done" is it done? Wait nope it's not

As with any political decision change of mind can happen, the fix parliament act was withdrawn this year so an election can be called.

Let the people decision who leads them.

Be it red, blue. Yellow. Green or a mix of the them.

Shouldn't be stuck with the mistakes of the past when people voted in a con man.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:47 pm That doesn't answer the question though.

Agree on an election I've said it a few times before. That or shift away from the presidential style of PMs
If Boris was sick raab would get a say? If he passed away raab would get to be pm providing he wasn't running for office then he might step aside to make it more impartial.

So yes he should be allowed to govern until a leader is elected (under strict guidelines and timetable so can't be delayed (
Plashet Grove Pete

mumbles87 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:48 pm Ah yes the lend the votes to the Tory election to "get brexit done" is it done? Wait nope it's not

As with any political decision change of mind can happen, the fix parliament act was withdrawn this year so an election can be called.

Let the people decision who leads them.

Be it red, blue. Yellow. Green or a mix of the them.

Shouldn't be stuck with the mistakes of the past when people voted in a con man.
I'd probably be able to respond if I could understand what point you're trying to make. The rules say the Tory Party are the party in power. You wanting to change the rules because you think BJ has been shown to be a conman ain't gonna work. Nor will it work if Starmer gets in next time and fails to deliver on some of his promises.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Once again, the party members are choosing a new leader. The Monarch chooses the Prime Minister, or more accurately asks an MP of her choosing if they can form a government that will have the confidence of the House.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:39 pm The people had their say at the last GE.
General elections are very much not the people having their say. A binary FPTP system where one party has most of the press onside is very much an illusion of democracy.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:39 pm The people had their say at the last GE. Like it or not, they chose the Tories.
29% of the electorate chose the Tories, 43% of the votes cast got them 56% of the seats thanks to FPTP, which gets them 100% of the power. It's a racket.

Our crooked, undemocratic voting system rewarded their 1% increase in votes with 15% increase in seats and so 100% of the power....

....with an outcome that's been as predictable as it's been disastrous.
Plashet Grove Pete

Junco Partner wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:28 pm
Our crooked, undemocratic voting system rewarded their 1% increase in votes with 15% increase in seats and so 100% of the power....

....with an outcome that's been as predictable as it's been disastrous.
Yep. And whilst the numbers change, that's been the case for a century.

What would be your solution to ensure such an undemocratic voting system is changed in such a way to both satisfy the majority and prevent disastrous outcomes?
SammyLeeWasOffside

mumbles87 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:49 pm If Boris was sick raab would get a say? If he passed away raab would get to be pm providing he wasn't running for office then he might step aside to make it more impartial.

So yes he should be allowed to govern until a leader is elected (under strict guidelines and timetable so can't be delayed (
That's kind of what we had and nobody wanted Johnson having the power to actually do things.

If it's a pure figurehead then better the incumbent than bumping up the deputies pay and pension for doing nothing. If it's an actual government for a month or 2 it opens up all sorts of issues of integrity (yeah I know)
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:12 am You can't have them being restrained from taking action and also want them governing.
That's a false choice. One that no one has made and no-one has to make. I don't know where you've come up with it from.

Being "restrained": You're making them sound like poor, little, powerless victims. I'm not buying it. No one externally of their party is restraining them from governing. This is their choice and if this was a Labour government I wonder what you'd be saying.

They have chosen to get rid of their leader - a good, albeit very belated, very cynical decision but one that we had absolutely no say in. Only they did. So IF anyone is restraining them from governing it's they, themselves. But that need not be happening - it's a choice they, not we have made. Governance did not come to a stand still like we're seeing here when Major replaced Thatcher, or May replaced Cameron.

No, they have chosen not to govern, and who can blame them? They aren't very good at it. They've seen just how hard it is. And they don't much like the public they are governing, so public service doesn't come into it for them. So they have chosen to put their feet up for the summer and instead of spending their energy on helping people at the start of what is a gathering storm that I don't think we'll have ever seen the like of in our lifetimes, what are they focussed on? Electing the next captain of their shitty, little party who came in 12 years ago on talk of Broken Britain which now seems like a sick joke.

And whilst I don't want to see the Tories govern for any longer than they have to, at this time we need to see a government govern and you know as well as I do, that we're not seeing that. Although it increasingly feels like we have a presidency, we don't. As Johnson has put himself on gardening leave, Raab should be showing some leadership - he's the deputy PM after all, but all I've heard from him these last few weeks is him advising us to go out and enjoy the sunshine on that 40 degree day the other week.
SammyLeeWasOffside

What governing do you want johnson to do right now? An emergency budget? Spend a load of money? Raise or cut taxes?

If he did anything there would be people screaming blue murder about his mandate to govern.

People spent months if not years calling for him to be removed from running the country. Now he has you want him to run the country?
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

What is your argument here Sam? That it's OK for no-one to be running the country right now? That it is understandable that a man who insists on staying on as PM can be excused the duties of actually being the PM?

Personally, I want someone to be running the country. Anyone not wanting that? Or is anyone seriously thinking we don't need that right now? Now I'd far rather it wasn't Johnson, he should have ****ed off weeks, if not months ago - but seeing as he has chosen to stay on as PM and his witless party have decided to allow him to do so then he should either ****, or get off the pot right now and let the witless, but at least existing Raab get on with it.

This article kind of touches on what I was saying earlier, comparing the end of this schmuck's premiership with others. Imho, it's inexcusable ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eeks-as-pm
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by smuts »

Bloke who was lazy in his job is lazy working his notice shocker.

As for Raab, you'd think a deputy PM would have thrown their hat into the ring for the top job wouldn't you? What a no hoper he is.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2658 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:03 pm What governing do you want johnson to do right now? An emergency budget? Spend a load of money? Raise or cut taxes?

If he did anything there would be people screaming blue murder about his mandate to govern.

People spent months if not years calling for him to be removed from running the country. Now he has you want him to run the country?
Resign as Prime Minsiter and let someone step in or do the ****ing job. It is incredible that you are making out that it is people that think his behaviour is reprehensible that are the problem, not the man himself.
SammyLeeWasOffside

EvilC wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:07 pm Resign as Prime Minsiter and let someone step in or do the ****ing job. It is incredible that you are making out that it is people that think his behaviour is reprehensible that are the problem, not the man himself.
Where have I said that

He has resigned. There is a process that for some unknown reason takes months.

He can't legislate as he doesn't control the party any more. I find it odd that people who have rightly called him out for years for over stepping his power and frankly ignoring convention now want him to do just that.

He is a caretaker pm, his power has been removed - I may be mistaken but I thought that's what people wanted. Now apparently they want him to keep making calls, spending money, coming up with policy, handing out contracts etc. In short keep deepening the whole people didn't want him digging.

His role by convention is to sit quietly and attend any pre arranged state events. Cameron did it, May did it. Nobody was screaming for May to make some policy calls on brexit in the 2 months after she resigned. She managed a hollow pledge on net zero and had to tolerate Trump.

He is the Norwegian blue, nailed to the perch for effect but in every other way an ex pm.
SammyLeeWasOffside

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:24 pm What is your argument here Sam? That it's OK for no-one to be running the country right now? That it is understandable that a man who insists on staying on as PM can be excused the duties of actually being the PM?

Personally, I want someone to be running the country. Anyone not wanting that? Or is anyone seriously thinking we don't need that right now? Now I'd far rather it wasn't Johnson, he should have ****ed off weeks, if not months ago - but seeing as he has chosen to stay on as PM and his witless party have decided to allow him to do so then he should either ****, or get off the pot right now and let the witless, but at least existing Raab get on with it.

This article kind of touches on what I was saying earlier, comparing the end of this schmuck's premiership with others. Imho, it's inexcusable ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eeks-as-pm
The job of this govt is to basically keep things ticking over while the never ending election of Truss happens. Add to that it's a recess and how much stuff would normally be done at this time of the year.

It's no longer in Johnsons power to do much because he doesn't have control of the party and parliament is shut for the summer. Again what is it you are wanting him to do right now? To be honest Johnson doing nothing is probably the safest thing for all of us.

Blair didn't resign and stay on he handed over and left straight away. May did a couple of things important to her, she didn't make any big decisions.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Parliament isn't sitting right now, so as happens during every parliamentary recess the civil service do the vast majority of 'running the country'. Apart from making speeches and visiting candle stub recycling plants there's not much for any PM to do in the summer. They certainly can't introduce legislation or set budgets.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Tenbury wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:01 am Yep, followed by being dropped in The Thames.
:crylol:
Think that was another waterway that whale was seen in..
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Junco Partner wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:26 am Truss says on TV “I’ll raise £8.3bn by cutting regional public sector pay”

Storm rightly blows up, then says: I never said that

Sunak caught on video saying he’ll take money from deprived urban areas to help wealthy Tory towns

Storm blows up, then says: I never said that.

Post-Johnson is post-truth in Tory La-La Land it seems.

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” - George Orwell 1984.
Right out of our Orange friend in Americas' playbook.
Either tell a lie enough times that it becomes 'the truth' or get pulled up on it & then deny that you ever said it, or that you actually meant something completely different.
It is indeed, Orwellian.