The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Big George
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-202?

Post by Big George »

The political rhyming slang that is Tory MP Crispin Blunt is at it again.
TORY MP CLAIMS SEX OFFENDER IMRAN AHMAD KHAN 'DID NOT GET FAIR TRIAL'
A former justice minister has reiterated his controversial defence of ex-Tory MP Imran Ahmad Khan, who was convicted of sexually assaulting a teenage boy, arguing the disgraced politician did not get a "fair trial".
Last month, Conservative MP Crispin Blunt removed a post from his website and Twitter feed in which he had claimed Khan was the victim of a "dreadful miscarriage of justice", after the former Wakefield MP was found guilty of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old boy in 2008.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:41 am He didn't assure anyone he told friends he had been assured. Anyone can give him assurance, it doesn't have to be correct.

Version 1 working forwatds - lawyer looks at the information and says 'prime minister I can assure based on this that you will not get any further fines'. No further fines' issued and lawyer knew his stuff, there was nothing else to fine him for.

Version 2 working bacwards - Exactly the same thing happens. PM gets no fine, the assurance of the lawyer is proof of corruption as he can't have known in advance.
Sam. - Your call if you continue to try to defend tbs idiocy. Plenty of his MPs, don’t bother to anymore because a) they realise they don’t get any thanks for it, b) they look like c**** if they try to and c) Johnson always throws them under the bus.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 308 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:45 pm Sam. - Your call if you continue to try to defend tbs idiocy. Plenty of his MPs, don’t bother to anymore because a) they realise they don’t get any thanks for it, b) they look like ***** if they try to and c) Johnson always throws them under the bus.
I'm not defending anything I'm saying it's not proof of corruption at the highest levels as was being claimed.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:45 pm Sam. - Your call if you continue to try to defend tbs idiocy. Plenty of his MPs, don’t bother to anymore because a) they realise they don’t get any thanks for it, b) they look like ***** if they try to and c) Johnson always throws them under the bus.
Come on now, there’s about 9 regulars here that would pile in on any vague story involving the tories. Somebody tried to point out when things are being a bit over egged and you don’t like to read it !
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by smuts »

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-05-23/exc ... g-lockdown

Guess who didn't get a fine off the Met for this event?

Half a million quid in police time for this carve up.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

The thing is, I don't really care about him having a beer at a leaving do. But he really shouldn't have lied to parliament about it should he.

That sounds like the sort of thing that a Prime Minister definitely shouldn't do.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:40 pm The thing is, I don't really care about him having a beer at a leaving do. But he really shouldn't have lied to parliament about it should he.

That sounds like the sort of thing that a Prime Minister definitely shouldn't do.
He shouldn't have broken the rules
He really shouldn't have broken the rules on multiple occasions
He definitely shouldn't have lied in parliament about breaking the rules on a very specific occasion.

Just need a nice email chain showing he agreed to take one fine and have the rest swept under the carpet for the full house.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:40 pm The thing is, I don't really care about him having a beer at a leaving do. But he really shouldn't have lied to parliament about it should he.

We said goodbye to colleagues during lockdown, a few of them retiring after over 50 years service and the poor sods had to sit up their kitchen table on their own at 3 in the afternoon getting a MS Teams send off while drinking a beer out the fridge.

We should have rocked up at number 10.
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Rays Rock wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:54 am Come on now, there’s about 9 regulars here that would pile in on any vague story involving the tories. Somebody tried to point out when things are being a bit over egged and you don’t like to read it !
If you can think of any kind of half-decent reason why, when office juniors were getting multiple fines for attending these events, Johnson wasn’t given an FPN for, and this is just one example, the one with the photos then, then like Prince Charles, I’m all ears.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:00 pm If you can think of any kind of half-decent reason why, when office juniors were getting multiple fines for attending these events, Johnson wasn’t given an FPN for, and this is just one example, the one with the photos then, then like Prince Charles, I’m all ears.
No no, somebody has given a reason as to why this not corruption as you and others believe is. It might not sit right, but it isn’t corrupt.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

So he knowingly lied. In Parliament. A straightforward resigning offence.

I know fawning obsequiousness to ‘their betters’ comes as second nature to them but really any Tory MP who defends him needs to give their head a wobble.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3086 likes

Post by MB »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:00 pm If you can think of any kind of half-decent reason why, when office juniors were getting multiple fines for attending these events, Johnson wasn’t given an FPN for, and this is just one example, the one with the photos then, then like Prince Charles, I’m all ears.
Legal advice. As I posted a page or so back there is a, seemingly, direct link between the number of fines and whether a person instructed lawyers to help them answer the questionnaires.

You only have to look at how many appeals against FPNs have been successful to know that a half decent lawyer would make a difference.

If you are a junior officer worker why would you fork out for legal advice when it would be many times the cost of even five FPNs?

I looked at the law when it was introduced and thought at best it was a bit shoddy. Very easy to argue something was in the course of work (which I imagined Boris did for the photo in question).

Same with Starmer and the beer.

The greatest trick pulled through the whole Covid piece has been convincing the public that guidance is law.
MB

Post by MB »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:47 pm So he knowingly lied. In Parliament. A straightforward resigning offence.
That bit he is bang to rights on.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Whoever's stage managing this gentle drip drip of info to the media (one would presume either Cummings or someone close to) is doing a sterling job.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2651 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

smuts

Post by smuts »

Ministers will be dreading the WhatsApp message telling them its their turn.

Helen Whatley is probably due another cringey interview...
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

MB wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:48 pm Legal advice.
I get that MB but I think there’s more to it than that. I’ve got my own views on Brian Paddick but I think he’s on the money with this one …

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/news/met-didnt-wa ... partygate/

IF juniors have been given FPNs for attending the same events that their superiors attended and didn’t get FPNs for, then I think it goes beyond having good lawyers.

I know how the Met works in these circumstances. Two years in its communication branch taught me more about its machinations than the other 28 years put together. Last year they were found to be institutionally corrupt. It saddens me to say it but that conclusion was correct. That doesn’t mean they are corrupt in all circumstances of course. Far from it and the average officer will never be corrupt. But the hierarchy? Different matter entirely. They’d throw their grannies under a bus to take the pressure off themselves.

Let’s see how it pans out. Plenty more to come out about this and the Met’s role in it methinks.
MB

Post by MB »

No doubt we will find out in the next few days. As UTJ put above, someone has planned this for maximum impact.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 361 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

I and many others do care though TTS.

Both of my parents and my Father in law all had their final "leaving do" during lockdown, the handful of people that attended each service didn't even give each other a hug, let alone congregate for a drink after. Yet this **** did as he chose to do and seems to have encouraged/endorsed that culture.

Then lied about it, continuously
smuts

Post by smuts »

Billy Hunt wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:27 am I and many others do care though TTS.

Both of my parents and my Father in law all had their final "leaving do" during lockdown, the handful of people that attended each service didn't even give each other a hug, let alone congregate for a drink after. Yet this **** did as he chose to do and seems to have encouraged/endorsed that culture.

Then lied about it, continuously
Yet according to tory rags this morning there's nothing to see here as the Met didn't think that leaving do warranted a fine for Johnson...although other attendees got issued one :?

Probably a few juniors who nibbled a few twiglets.

The reputation of the Met is already in the gutter and by looking to have spent 500 grand on either what is an inept investigation or worse a cover up to get Johnson off the hook is making it even worse.

Anyone issued a PCN during lockdown should be getting their money back.