The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-202?

Post by sendô »

Prob wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:39 pm
No wonder teachers are leaving at record rates, low pay, long hours, more pressure and parents treating them like childcare. While the rest of the public believes in the myth of long holidays.
13 weeks a year isn't it?

Plus never having to do a weekend, and core hours are typically what, 8:45 to 3:30?

I'll sympathise with anyone on **** pay, but let's not make out like teachers don't get a far more reasonable work/life balance than most.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

sendô wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:16 pm 13 weeks a year isn't it?

Teacher's only get the statutory holiday allowance, same as everybody else. The rest of the holiday is unpaid, and their pay is adjusted pro-rata.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

They also do a huge amount of 'unpaid' work if the experience of the two teachers in my life is anything to go by. I thought the view of teachers as 'part-timers who spend all summer with their feet up' had been consigned to the history bin but it seems not.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Hammer1966 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:36 pm They also do a huge amount of 'unpaid' work if the experience of the two teachers in my life is anything to go by. I thought the view of teachers as 'part-timers who spend all summer with their feet up' had been consigned to the history bin but it seems not.
Wait until they strike later this year, it'll go completely into overdrive.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

sendô wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:16 pm 13 weeks a year isn't it?

Plus never having to do a weekend, and core hours are typically what, 8:45 to 3:30?
I’ve not taught in a school for 15 years but have over 20 years teaching/lecturing and training experience and barring the odd lazy b*stard no teacher is doing those hours, not even close. I’ve been training in the private sector since February and my 830-5 I’m doing now (with little at home) is orders of magnitude less than what I have done all my career up to now.

Drive past an average primary school, the car park is often full at 730 and still occupied at 5 (and it’s not the cleaners). Add to that weekends and working during ‘holidays’ and you have profession that works as hard (if not harder) as any other.

The British view of teachers is baffling.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

-DL- wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:57 pm Teacher's only get the statutory holiday allowance, same as everybody else. The rest of the holiday is unpaid, and their pay is adjusted pro-rata.
It's how they get away with poor pay as they claim it's part time

My wife refuses to go teacher (she has everything) she staying assistant so she gets that time with kids as with the extra 10k in pay means she can't leave work at school anymore

My mum retires in 2 weeks after god knows how long years teaching .. I don't remember a full set of holidays she was around
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:54 pm I’ve not taught in a school for 15 years but have over 20 years teaching/lecturing and training experience and barring the odd lazy b*stard no teacher is doing those hours, not even close. I’ve been training in the private sector since February and my 830-5 I’m doing now (with little at home) is orders of magnitude less than what I have done all my career up to now.

Drive past an average primary school, the car park is often full at 730 and still occupied at 5 (and it’s not the cleaners). Add to that weekends and working during ‘holidays’ and you have profession that works as hard (if not harder) as any other.

The British view of teachers is baffling.
There is a belief that teachers exist only to pass on left wing indoctrination to our innocent youth.

https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-net ... ews-labour

I reckon there's more to it than that. If you had a bad time at school with a Mr Bronson or a Bullet Baxter then you're hardly likely to hold them in high regard when you're older......
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

My wife works in a primary school, starting off as a reception teacher and working her way up to deputy head.

Although there are 13 weeks she is not in school, about 3 or 4 of the 5 days of half term are used doing stuff (I don't exactly know what but it is to set up things for the next half term). Yes, some of it is marking, which I have made plenty of jokes at before which have now worn thin.

The 6 weeks summer holiday she probably spends around a week and a bit sorting out stuff for the next year.

8.30-3.30 is a complete fallacy, 8-5 is about average, with some nights not finishing for another hour if there is a meeting or something.

It's all relative. I couldn't do her job, and she couldn't do mine.

DL is right, teachers (full time) basically get around 5-5.6 weeks statutory holiday a year and are effectively on ten month contracts. They can choose to be paid pro rata (non-directed I think it's referred to as) or be paid 10 months of the year. She chooses the latter as it makes the summer easier to manage cashflow wise but no idea what the 'norm' is.

It isn't just teaching, her school is in Grays/South Ockenden and that entails a lot of ad-hoc care work for scummy parents who can't look after their own kids properly and prefer to do drugs and sponge off everyone else.
Danny's Dyer Acting

These ****ing people :thdn:

E15Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by E15Iron »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:45 pm My wife works in a primary school, starting off as a reception teacher and working her way up to deputy head.

Although there are 13 weeks she is not in school, about 3 or 4 of the 5 days of half term are used doing stuff (I don't exactly know what but it is to set up things for the next half term). Yes, some of it is marking, which I have made plenty of jokes at before which have now worn thin.

The 6 weeks summer holiday she probably spends around a week and a bit sorting out stuff for the next year.

8.30-3.30 is a complete fallacy, 8-5 is about average, with some nights not finishing for another hour if there is a meeting or something.

It's all relative. I couldn't do her job, and she couldn't do mine.

DL is right, teachers (full time) basically get around 5-5.6 weeks statutory holiday a year and are effectively on ten month contracts. They can choose to be paid pro rata (non-directed I think it's referred to as) or be paid 10 months of the year. She chooses the latter as it makes the summer easier to manage cashflow wise but no idea what the 'norm' is.

It isn't just teaching, her school is in Grays/South Ockenden and that entails a lot of ad-hoc care work for scummy parents who can't look after their own kids properly and prefer to do drugs and sponge off everyone else.
Agree with every word. My wife is in a bang on identical situation, however is a deputy head in East London. The sheer amount of hours that she works is mind boggling. In at 7am, home about 6pm, dinner - get kids in bed, then working again until 9pm. This is nigh on every single day.

Holidays, she is working at least 2 days a week too. It's the kids who get 13 works holiday, not the teachers.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Cardboard box-headed,winking thundercunt Dominic Raab on the radio this morning claiming that Bullshitter Johnson didn’t know about the gropey pests previous sex assaults…is it just a competition to show the most loyalty amongst this gang of pisstakers now?
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 563 likes

Post by Oldun »

Arnold Layne wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:15 am Cardboard box-headed,winking thundercunt Dominic Raab on the radio this morning claiming that Bullshitter Johnson didn’t know about the gropey pests previous sex assaults…is it just a competition to show the most loyalty amongst this gang of pisstakers now?
Watching him squirm on the BBC was wonderful.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

I'd like to say eventually they will probably regret having to go on one by one and defend their useless lying boss almost every week...but most of them are only in post anyway for being his lapdog rather than their own talent.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

That's it Smuts, They don't care about the future as they know they don't have one.

All they can do is everything they can to eek this out a little longer
Big George
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Big George »

Today feels diferent. The stories last night and the McDonald letter this morning is very difficult even for this lot.

Raab on the radio was a masterclass in arse covering and self preservation, he knows it's over.
Big George
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Big George »

Of course it’s just possible Raab has no idea of the consequences of his words.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by last.caress »

Big George wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:01 am Today feels diferent.
We've been here before, though. Plenty of other instances which felt like the point of no return for Johnson and this cabinet. The man is like a soft gingery dogshit into which the entire nation has trodden, and all the wiping in the world can't seem to get him out of the tread.
Danny's Dyer Acting

Big George wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:01 am Today feels diferent. The stories last night and the McDonald letter this morning is very difficult even for this lot.

Raab on the radio was a masterclass in arse covering and self preservation, he knows it's over.
Since finding out about the McDonald letter on the Today show Raab has been very careful to make it clear that he and the people he's responsible for did everything by the book.
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

Michael Ellis the minister for defending the indefensible plays with a very straight bat, most obdurate
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Body language is hardly an exact science but the state of some of the cabinet today would certainly point to some of them being a little bit upset no?