Guitar Corner

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Re: Guitar Corner

Post by last.caress »

Lemmy used to use them though. And he was Lemmy.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

last.caress wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:07 am Lemmy used to use them though. And he was Lemmy.
You can't really argue with this sort of logic :smiler:
Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Polaroid »

I THINK I NEED AN INTERVENTION :grin:

A few weeks ago I took a deep dive into a band/front woman (Come/Thalia Zedek) who I've been into since the early/mid 90's and noticed the guitar that she seems to play more often than not, looking at youtube vids atleast.
Took a while, but I was intrigued and reckoned it was a 1960's Hagstrom Kent. I might be a bit off but it's somewhere thereabouts.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B (same guitar but a much better look)

I now know that Hagstrom are a maker of guitars.
As a player of nearly 40 years I now want one.
As a player of nearly 40 years I know it will be an absolute nightmare.
As a player of nearly 40 years I am fully aware that I'm still a novice and probably won't be able to do it justice.

But!

https://reverb.com/uk/item/62493718-hag ... nt=160x600

https://reverb.com/uk/item/51711417-hag ... -1960s-red

The only thing relating to these guitars for sale that I've got going on in my head at the moment is Stevie Wonders "Isn't She Lovely" lyric over and over. (Not too sure I trust the red one, still lovely, but still).

HELP!

I've tentatively placed myself under a 48 hour embargo.

Should I stay or should I go?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Polaroid wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:17 am Should I stay or should I go?
Hagstroms are up there with Rickenbackers. Awful things.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Not for me either. The red one looks like something from Woolworths.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Slight tangent. Was recommended this video by Youtube and I quite enjoyed it.Some studio musicians talk about some of their favorite players' tones and how they got them. I'm not a player but I do find it interesting how people can figure it out just by listening to the music.

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 483 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Polaroid wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:17 am I THINK I NEED AN INTERVENTION :grin:

A few weeks ago I took a deep dive into a band/front woman (Come/Thalia Zedek) who I've been into since the early/mid 90's and noticed the guitar that she seems to play more often than not, looking at youtube vids atleast.
Took a while, but I was intrigued and reckoned it was a 1960's Hagstrom Kent. I might be a bit off but it's somewhere thereabouts.
That's a H-II, which is really similar to a Kent, but dates a bit later, post '65. Better pickups than the early ones, apparently.

I really like Hags, they have really skinny necks and I have hands like a chubby child so they work well for me. I've had a Condor and a Scandi in the past and really liked them, they're both on the list of stuff I wish I'd never sold.

The current Hagstrom range are all made in China, I think, but the ones I've played have been awesome. The Foo Fighters Pat Smear signature model is supposedly a beast, but I think I prefer the retro Impala and HIII.

The only Hag I've got at the moment is a bass. GCRO would love it....

Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Ooh, also, most of the plastic-fronted Hags similar to the Kent that were imported to the UK were rebadged/rebranded as Futurama guitars, and these tend to be a bit cheaper than the other brand names:

https://reverb.com/item/59944263-hagstr ... -red-vinyl
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

And if they're good enough for this feller.....

Polaroid

Post by Polaroid »

Thanks chaps.
It's hard to think what with opposing comments from 2 eminent collectors in here :smiler:

Cheers for all that additional info MB, very useful.
The guy selling the Futurama is only 40 mins drive from my Mum's where I'll be over Christmas. Might drop him a line and see if I can have a look if it's not sold by then
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

New arrival.....

It's a lot of fun. Like a cross between a Ricky and a Tele and a spaniel puppy.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Not sure whether to post this in the Wilko thread but as it’s about his guitar technique - some might find it interesting …

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Monkeybubbles wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:35 pm The only Hag I've got at the moment is a bass. GCRO would love it....

Kill it with fire.

Literally.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

pablo jaye wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:26 am Not sure whether to post this in the Wilko thread but as it’s about his guitar technique - some might find it interesting …

So simple, so brilliant, so perfect.

God bless you Wilko, wherever you are.
Polaroid

Post by Polaroid »

A couple of happy tales.

No.1.
Polaroid wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:57 am
Gem Electronic 'Mars' 30w valve amp. Bought secondhand in 1984, built sometime in the late 60's or 70's.
Monkeybubbles wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:09 am I reckon that'll be worth something in a few years time.
You weren't wrong MB, sold it Sunday morning for £750. Bloke who bought it was delighted as he said (post handshake) he would've paid up to a grand for it!
I was delighted as I picked strawberry's (relentlessly) for 5 days to buy it way back when.

The lovely thing though is that he brought an early 70's Telecaster with him so he could check it out properly, to his specs I guess. He then left without it. I called him as soon as I realised and he was way past halfway back to Runcorn.

So I've noodled his guitar for a few hours (and I will get a few more hours in) and he's coming back to get it on Wednesday.
The bloke is 74 years old and his son is going to do the driving this time.

No. 2.
In the early Summer of 2016 I had a phone call from a mate requesting me to play acoustic in a four piece as the regular fella wasn't available. Generally the band were rinsing the tourists / holiday camps.
Wasn't very challenging or interesting but paid well.
Long story short - played four gigs - got payed. Played the 5th and the head honcho ****ed off pronto post gig.
He called / texted a few times with offers to play after that and I blanked him. No hissy-fit from me, just a blank. It's remained that way until today.

He banged my door ten minutes after the old fella mentioned above had left.
We chatted (in a very stilted manner) until he went mental and DEMANDED to know what was wrong as he couldn't even remotely see why our relationship had gone to rat s***. - told him my side of it.
Turns out the £xxx I was due was in the little "storage box" (in the the guitar case just below the head stock). Yup, all old tenners, but still viable we've found via google.

I've never been so relieved in my life.
Got a mate back that I thought I couldn't trust.. for over 6 or 7 bloody years.
Man, we could've been bigger than The Beatles, had we only had talent... and weren't in our 50's
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Sounds like you've missed out on friendship and gigs for 6+ years out of sheer bloody-mindedness - why didn't you just ask him about the money right away?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Kludgehammer wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:22 am Sounds like you've missed out on friendship and gigs for 6+ years out of sheer bloody-mindedness - why didn't you just ask him about the money right away?
That's kind of what I was thinking too :grin:
Polaroid

Post by Polaroid »

Kludgehammer wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:22 am Sounds like you've missed out on friendship and gigs for 6+ years out of sheer bloody-mindedness - why didn't you just ask him about the money right away?
Yup, that's exactly what I did Kludge, not so much the gigs but it's the friendship I missed out on most.
Stupidity has usually been my forte. :oops:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Seriously considering getting one of these. They sound effin' immense, probably the best bass tone I've ever heard .. .

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Ooooh, nice. It does sound lovely but how much of it is the artist and how much the brush? I have vague memories of Dave Gilmour saying (when being asked about his tone and what gear it takes) he could pick any guitar off the rack and sound like Gilmour.