Who Next? The odds

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

traxop

Re: Who Next? The odds

Post by traxop »

OllyWHU6 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:43 am There’s an element of revisionism here, do we not remember the turgid football and lacklustre games that created the Burnley situation?

The squad may be marginally better, but Moyes is not going to suddenly know how to play attacking football that suits the squad we have. We lack the work horses for his dull displays.

As for whether we could get Poch or Kovac or not, Everton did just get Ancellotti in an equally bad run of form. Surely giving it a few days and sounding them out is better than appointing in a panic.
I still remember the turgid football under Moyes even when we did managed get a positive result. The one that springs to mind was the game against Chelsea where we did nothing but sat deep and defended all game with hardly any shots on goal. It's one thing to be solid and pragmatic but it's another to sacrifice all attacking intent. I don't really want to see that kind of football again. There's no joy and no soul in it and football is meant to be joyful.

When all the rumours are firmly pointing to Moyes(and the speed of these leaks hinting at it), you've got to wonder if there was only ever one candidate in the running. It's almost like they've made up their minds that Moyes is going to be their man when - and not if - Pellerigni got the boot.

If it is to be Moyes, then I fully expect him to be here for the long haul. I don't think Moyes would accept another short term assignment. Imagine a 3 year cycle with Moyes in charge. This is truly depressing.
Last edited by traxop on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

All the bad stuff comes back in hallucinatory fragments. Just remembered the signing of Patrice Evra.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Aceface wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:28 pm All the bad stuff comes back in hallucinatory fragments. Just remembered the signing of Patrice Evra.
The signing wasn't the worst idea, experience etc, the playing of him was!
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I remember him playing Evra and Zabaleta away to Liverpool. Fantastic tactical nous there.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Like Moyes, he's probably still available now. f*** it, recall Hugill, get those two back and lets party like it's the Burnley riots again.
Everard
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Everard »

Throw the kitchen sink at getting Benetiz or Wenger in. Both are still driven and have a reputation which will entice players to the club.
Ferret

Post by Ferret »

Everard wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:36 pm Throw the kitchen sink at getting Benetiz or Wenger in. Both are still driven and have a reputation which will entice players to the club.

But the fans would be hating on Rafas style of play a month down the line
Condorhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Condorhammer »

As I think we're pretty much ****ed no-matter who comes in, I'd be tempted to give Parker a go.
Not doing too badly at Fulham, and still held in high regard by many hammers. Probably cheap too.
Would I'm sure be given time by the majority of fans, and if/when relegation occurs (which I'm sure many will blame on Pelle/the board) would be given the first season down in the chumps to get us back.

So, Moyes it is then.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Can't be serious, Parker is doing terrible at Fulham, 9 points off 2nd with a squad that should be winning the league, he'll be sacked before long at Fulham
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

There are 2 polls out there with more than 1000 votes 1 is more than 80% NO to Moyes. The other is more than 85% YES to Kovac. As per their usual well informed approach, GSB will bring in Moyes.
The 3 other “managerial candidates” getting more than 70% support (Not including Pochettino) are DiCanio, Cole and Parker. You can pretty much guarantee that when faced with 7 currently available managers with experience either in the premiership or comparable divisions Pochettino, Allardyce, Emery, Kovac, DiCanio, Moyes, Pulis, our lot will ignore the three who play progressive football use advanced coaching techniques that have taken clubs our size or smaller away from relegation battles to challenging for Silverware and then hired by champions league clubs (Pochettino at Southampton, Emery at Sevilla, and Kovac at Frankfurt) to come up with a shortlist of failed anti football dinosaurs.

Parker’s contract with Fulham goes until the end of next season. If Moyes is only on an 18 month contract I’d already be sounding out Parker to be his successor. However our owners are too short sighted to even think that way.
wormley

Post by wormley »

Everard wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:36 pm Throw the kitchen sink at getting Benetiz or Wenger in. Both are still driven and have a reputation which will entice players to the club.
Wenger's still driven.

In a mobility scooter.
Condorhammer
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Condorhammer »

fmgod wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:50 pm Can't be serious, Parker is doing terrible at Fulham, 9 points off 2nd with a squad that should be winning the league, he'll be sacked before long at Fulham
Is it not possible he'd get more out of a better squad, on the assumption ours is better?
I did state that I think we're down (****ed) anyway. I've a feeling an already thin squad has been split, and think SP would be a more progressive, forward-thinking appointment than the likes of Moyes, the walrus and Pulis.
In all honesty I don't really get the love Howe and to a lesser extent Dyche gets?!?
How many of the 'big' managers (not looking to top their pension pot up) would give us a second look whilst we're run by those 3 chancers anyway?
paolo02

Enzo Maresco!

Post by paolo02 »

Enzo Maresco- for 3-4 games, he might be a perfect fit, and no rushed decision.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

I think it is hard to say whether the team is stronger or weaker than when moyes was here before. Pretty even probably. Fullbacks worse centre backs a wash, in centre mid Rice has improved but noble is 2 years older... there is no Kouyate to battle not obiang and up front we are deffo lighter. We have more quality in the wide positions - though with exception of Antonio bang out of form. Keeper is better.

Squad probably worse given lack of battling midfielders to see a game out

Arguably we may actually have a team less suited to grinding out results in relegation battle
Everard
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by Everard »

BBC and GSB mouthpiece C&H reporting that Moyes is nailed-on.

Oh, what times!
Discobar

Post by Discobar »

Everard wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:11 pm BBC and GSB mouthpiece C&H reporting that Moyes is nailed-on.

Oh, what times!
Final nail in the coffin for many.
Boom Kid
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Boom Kid »

I really don't understand getting Moyes back - wasn't it under him we had the Burnley game protests or am I missing something. From Moyes point of view has he not heard of the old saying "Never go back" I am sure there must be some on here who have made that mistake - I certainly have.

For me the board need to do whatever it takes to get either Poshettino or Wenger in to take the club forward.

Unfortunately, it probably won't happen as this will not be the cheap option.
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

If it is nailed on Moyes as being reported why hasn't it been announced yet? Could there be another serious candidate option in the mix?
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Is Barry Fry still alive?
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Moyes, the moronic sounding Pearce and Alan Irvine. I haven’t felt as uninspired since the day Allardyce was announced. What on earth have we become.