Who Next? The odds

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

denzel

Re: Who Next? The odds

Post by denzel »

-DL- wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:28 am
I am going to go against the grain here, but with the exception of Arnie, I actually think that we have a better set of players as things stand, than when Moyes took over last time - albeit not the numbers of players he had last time.
I agree.

Being the saddo I am I had a look at the teams Moyes put out whilst he was here and the quality left on the bench for some of those squads was horrific.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Isn't Kovac available?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Gsbgsb wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:35 am Because the situation he faced then, broken, unfit, disinterested and disorganised team are exactly the situation the new manager, whoever it might be, is facing now. Would people have welcomed Nigel Pearson yet his Watford team are looking far better in almost every respect.

You read people suggesting just buy half a new team and we will be fine. Any new manager is not going to get half a new team of decent players especially out of these owners. Whoever it is is going to have to take the bulk of what he already has and produce a competitive team out of them.

I do not really care who that is provided they do that job.
I would have welcomed Nigel Pearson with open arms in front of David Moyes
GreenIron
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by GreenIron »

Doesn’t really matter who comes in so long as they tighten up a lot at the back. The defence has been a bigger and bigger shambles for a year or so now. Introduce some structure and discipline there, give the players some tactics to stick to that are actually clear, and we’ve got the underlying playing talent to move up the table again.

Whether or not that’s a good thing is another matter ...
ironhammer58

Post by ironhammer58 »

I’m sure we could get Klop, he’s had plenty of time to realise the error of his ways by choosing Liverpool over us.
He would come begging and even take a pay cut to finally get his dream job working for ambitious, fully committed owners that would back him to the hilt with their vast personal wealth.
Brown Sauce
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Brown Sauce »

mattyD wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:52 am Isn't Kovac available?

Sullivan is more likely to appoint Radoslav.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Thank god someone has finally posted Moyes mediocre record at West Ham. The man has done nothing since he left us. If we appoint him then we deserve to go down.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

More context:

Hart/Adrian -----> Fabianski/Roberto/Martin

Collins/Byram -----> Fredrericks/Diop/Balbuena

Kouyate/Obiang/Mario/Hakšabanović/Quina -----> Rice/Fornals/Yarmalenko/Anderson/Snodgrass/Sanchez/Wilshire* *When not injured

Carroll/Hugill/Hernandez/Martinez/Arnie -----> Haller/Ajeti/Antonio

Granted, Moyes had Rice as a defender and Antonio as a winger, but obviously they now play in different positions to when he was here last.

On paper, to me at least - he has better players than last time - although we could do with a Kouyate type right now alongside Rice. Perhaps we may even sign one in January.

I get there's the Hugill stick to beat him with, but perhaps naively, I thought he was signed as an insurance policy for if we went down.

So in effect, with better players, Pellergrina has amassed a massive 1 more point in the home games we've played than Moyes did with the crap he had to field.

We now have a better defence. Certainly upgraded in goal with Fab, although the back up is rubbish. We have a young up and coming English DM, with creative talent around him (still need a Kouyate type though). The biggest loss I see there is that of Arnie - but Haller is no mug, and could flourish under Moyes as Arnie did.

I also get it wasn't pretty look at when he was here, but f*** me, for the past year watching us has been like watching dog-**** decompose.

Obviously I've not included the players he had here last time that are still here and playing in the same positions.
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by neathiron »

-DL- wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:28 am Ok, so let's try and look at this objectively....
Well said DL :thup:
alf git
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

What's Pochettino up to? He must be bored of daytime TV by now.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Going to be funny if it turns out Maresca turned it down.
Brown Sauce
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Brown Sauce »

Can you ban the next person who suggests Pochettino?
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Aceface wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:35 am It seems impossible, but it does sometimes feel like people have forgotten the Burnley protest happened mid-Moyes reign – during a 3 goal thrashing no less. Does everyone remember what that felt like?

*That* was more representative of the Moyes period, not getting a result against a Leicester side that had downed tools for the season.
aaronhammer wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:31 am Pellegrini last 27 league games at West Ham
W 9
D 5
L 13
GF 36
GA 44
GD -8
Pts 32

Moyes 27 league games in 2017/18 at West Ham
W 8
D 9
L 10
GF 37
GA 45
GD -8
Pts 33
:hush:
bigcarpchaser
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by bigcarpchaser »

Sky TV/TalkSPORT wankfest scenario/conspiracy theory..and it’ll be on the telly
Eddie Howe jacks in Bournemouth today and is in the stands watching his new club batter them on New Years Day.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Moyes is the limit of our owners ambitions and their intelligence.
They are old men, stuck in their ways, who don't know as much about football as they think they do.
They think Moyes will keep us up, this is where their footballing ambitions begin and end.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

This isn't me sticking up for Moyes, but is it really comparable when you look at the players Moyes had compared to what Pellergrini had to work with?

If anything, it's an indictment against Pellergrini that his record is as bad as Moyes who had inferior players, not the other way round... :|
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

-DL- wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:28 amI am going to go against the grain here, but with the exception of Arnie, I actually think that we have a better set of players as things stand, than when Moyes took over last time - albeit not the numbers of players he had last time.

Diop, Anderson, Haller, Rice, Yarmalenko, Lanzini - all very good players that are more than good enough for us, made to look like League 1 players (and I include Rice in that as he has had a few shockers, let's be fair) by the previous incumbent.
Spot on.

The temptation would be to put head in hands and think we need a complete squad overhaul. Not so. Pellegrini completely lost control of his players - completely lost the dressing room. I am convinced that we have a squad close to being good enough for Europa. That is how far we have fallen under him. There are players in our squad that clearly need a fuc*ing rocket under them. Players need boundaries and to be led. There needs to be both the carrot and the stick in managing players. I reckon they knew they were getting away with murder but without a strict regime in place could not turn it around on their own.

Look at Pearson at Watford - He even sounds like a school teacher. He is obviously insisting on maximum effort and organizing them properly. Basics done properly and suddenly results achieved.

I find it galling that Pellegrini walks away with millions after making a decent squad look so sh*t. We HAVE good players but they are under performing.

How unprofessional is it that every few years we seem to need a Sgt Major type manager to come in, gain order and get our team fit and organised.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

jacko wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:56 am Thank god someone has finally posted Moyes mediocre record at West Ham. The man has done nothing since he left us. If we appoint him then we deserve to go down.
In a nutshell, this.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

-DL- wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:12 am This isn't me sticking up for Moyes, but is it really comparable when you look at the players Moyes had compared to what Pellergrini had to work with?

If anything, it's an indictment against Pellergrini that his record is as bad as Moyes who had inferior players, not the other way round... :|
Absolutely shows how poor MP had been and ultimately that it wasn’t the wrong decision to relieve him of his duties but it’s not like Moyes had the worst ever squad at his disposal either.

The way I see it is that Moyes is not an upgrade on Pellegrini and surely that should be number 1 when appointing a new manager.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

aaronhammer wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:23 am
The way I see it is that Moyes is not an upgrade on Pellegrini and surely that should be number 1 when appointing a new manager.
Dude, you'd be an upgrade on Pellergrini.