The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2707 likes

Re: The Labour Party Thread

Post by sendô »

Wow, are the Conservatives really flailing that much that they're trying the "you didn't get enough rapists into prison in your last job" line already?
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:15 pm I can think of another female politician who has had way more abuse for decades. But she was a right wing Prime Minister, so doesn’t get the same sympathy.
Not even close
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4383 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

sendô wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:19 pm Wow, are the Conservatives really flailing that much that they're trying the "you didn't get enough rapists into prison in your last job" line already?
It's from this stuff

One of his own shadow cabinet saying the organisation he led let down Jimmy Savile's victims or something of that kind.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by Prob »

So we are back to that right wing conspiracy theory
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2707 likes

Post by sendô »

Like I said, desperate stuff, but then at this point the Tories have little chance next election beyond smearing Starmer and making him appear unelectable.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Prob wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:02 pm So we are back to that right wing conspiracy theory
Not sure Emily Thornberry counts as right wing, but then again I'm not a member of the Labour Party.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by Prob »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:16 pm Not sure Emily Thornberry counts as right wing, but then again I'm not a member of the Labour Party.
She has expressed disappointment in the service, as there were some key failings from the Police and CPS. However, she isn't pointing it to the leader of the service at the time. Which you said, which implies he was the reason why the case didn't go forward.

He wasn't the reviewing lawyer on the case, other DDP have said the case wouldn't have even come to his desk. He commissioned a report to find out why. It seems many of the victims were prepared to give evidence in court.

However, he stood up, said sorry for the service failings and made changes.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Nothing important is better than it was 13 years ago, mostly it's an awful lot worse.

Patients waiting longer than ever, criminals walking free, growth non existent, pay worse, sewage flowing in our rivers, gas unaffordable, electricity unaffordable, empty supermarket shelves, government debt sky-rocketing, mortgage costs up, exports down, trains don't run, ambulances don't come, teachers at foodbanks....

Nothing is better, everything is worse. Unless you're a billionaire.

Starmer should just keep hammering that simple truthful message and Labour will do very well.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 494 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Prob wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:46 pm She has expressed disappointment in the service, as there were some key failings from the Police and CPS. However, she isn't pointing it to the leader of the service at the time.
So let the person in charge get away with the failings?

Christ, there's some real twisted logic going on there Prob.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Junco Partner wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:20 pmNothing important is better than it was 13 years ago
Except there aren't 3 million unemployed, the banks actually function, body bags aren't being flown home from Baghdad and Afghanistan every night, the tube isn't being blown up and the low paid aren't being hit for tax before they even earn £100 a week.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Resorting to whataboutary
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2682 likes
Total likes: 1780 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:39 pm Except there aren't 3 million unemployed, the banks actually function, body bags aren't being flown home from Baghdad and Afghanistan every night, the tube isn't being blown up and the low paid aren't being hit for tax before they even earn £100 a week.

No one can argue with that , there are some positives to thirteen years back . :newthumb:

But it doesn't exactly answer this bit......

'' Patients waiting longer than ever, criminals walking free, growth non existent, pay worse, sewage flowing in our rivers, gas unaffordable, electricity unaffordable, empty supermarket shelves, government debt sky-rocketing, mortgage costs up, exports down, trains don't run, ambulances don't come, teachers at foodbanks....''

Or the not dealing with the Nurses' strike thingy - that Steve Barclay guy is a Grade A ****

''
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:36 pm No one can argue with that , there are some positives to thirteen years back . :newthumb:

But it doesn't exactly answer this bit......

'' Patients waiting longer than ever, criminals walking free, growth non existent, pay worse, sewage flowing in our rivers, gas unaffordable, electricity unaffordable, empty supermarket shelves, government debt sky-rocketing, mortgage costs up, exports down, trains don't run, ambulances don't come, teachers at foodbanks....''

Or the not dealing with the Nurses' strike thingy - that Steve Barclay guy is a Grade A ****

''
If just one of them happened under labour we would never hear the end of it .. only matters when it suits
OFT
Has liked: 3192 likes
Total likes: 1831 likes

Post by OFT »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:36 pm
''
No one can argue with that either TOMoS.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 308 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:48 pm Resorting to whataboutary
Juncs says nothing imprived under the Tories.

Bubbs lists some things he thinks are inproved under the Tories

How is that whataboutery? Surely it's a response to a point someone else raised.
SammyLeeWasOffside

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:36 pm Or the not dealing with the Nurses' strike thingy
What do you mean not dealing with it? There was an offer rejected by 30% of the union membership. On recommending the deal to her members the head of the union said she was aware the govt had no more room to budge, they had gone as far as they could.

Other medical unions have ended action after agreeing deals with the govt.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2682 likes
Total likes: 1780 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:34 am What do you mean not dealing with it?
He chose only to negotiate with The Royal College Of Nursing Union , completely ignoring all the other Nursing Unions , adopting a divide and conquer policy , allowing the strikes to drag on for months , then the Weasel challenges the legality of the strikes , a Grade A **** .

Nurses' pay demands were settled in Scotland as Nicola Sturgeon sat down with the Unions , Barclay refused to do this .

Probably saving all that money for the 40 new hospitals that other **** , Johnson promised you .
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 494 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:47 pm If just one of them happened under labour we would never hear the end of it .. only matters when it suits
Well, Labour will be in power soon mumbles - no doubt you have 100% confidence they will deliver on everything they promise in their manifesto and everything they subsequently promise when in government.

Your blind faith is both touching and utterly naïve mate. Prepare for disappointment would be my advice.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

“The ruling power is always faced with the question, ‘In such and such circumstances, what would you do?’, whereas the opposition is not obliged to take responsibility or make any real decisions. Where it is a permanent and pensioned opposition, as in England, the quality of its thought deteriorates accordingly.
One of the surprise dividends of devolution - whether it's national assemblies or mayoralties - is that we can just how badly the voices of opposition run things when given the opportunity.
SammyLeeWasOffside

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:56 am He chose only to negotiate with The Royal College Of Nursing Union , completely ignoring all the other Nursing Unions , adopting a divide and conquer policy , allowing the strikes to drag on for months , then the Weasel challenges the legality of the strikes , a Grade A **** .
Unison accepted the offer. Are you saying they did that without it being offered?