The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Re: Next Labour Leader

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Interesting article this. Good politics I guess but something about political parties being able to target certain people with such specific ads sits uneasy with me. Wouldn't really mind all political parties being banned from advertising on social media either, let them use their profiles to share messages.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ing-voters
Meanwhile, some voters – especially middle-aged women – are being targeted with ads showing that Labour opposes disruptive direct action being taken by climate protesters, despite criticism from the left of the party. A clip of Starmer taking issue with the protesters during an interview has been pumped out online. Some 35% of the ads were targeted at women aged 45-55. “Just Stop Oil protesters are posing a danger by blocking ambulances and emergency services,” the ad reads. “Labour pushed for longer sentences for people who glue themselves to roads and motorways.”
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

OFT wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:44 amNor I.
Same here.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

I'm with Sends on this. I think her wording was clumsy. He is a 'win' for Asian representation in this sense that he is the first Asian PM, so Asians have representation in an area they never had it before in our islands. However, he's not representative of Asians or any of the rest of us for that matter, other than those who are multi-billionaires/ are married to multi-billionaires. That's the only bit of that post I think she got wrong.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Starmer proposing to abolish the House of Lords this morning if elected.

I’m sure most will agree on this. It’s needed reforming for a long, long, time.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:27 am Starmer proposing to abolish the House of Lords this morning if elected.

I’m sure most will agree on this. It’s needed reforming for a long, long, time.
:newthumb:

He's got to do something on the constitutional front as he will probably ignore the party's call for PR (foolishly imo)
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

Totally agree. Whether they've been done by Labour or Tory, some of the appointments have been a complete joke.

Can't wait to see who Truss appoints, a load of Tufton Street nut jobs probably.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

Going to go against the grain a little bit here. I think we do need to have a upper house of sorts, that can block ridiculous law proposals going through.

Reform is most definitely needed, but not sure abolition is the answer.
EastHam56
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by EastHam56 »

DL , reform was mentioned in some reports .

Elected by pr and a maximum of 100 with 50% up for re election every 2 years would be a start
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

-DL- wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:18 am Going to go against the grain a little bit here. I think we do need to have a upper house of sorts, that can block ridiculous law proposals going through.

Reform is most definitely needed, but not sure abolition is the answer.
Sorry I should’ve posted the link, I think that’s exactly what he’s saying.

Labour would abolish the House of Lords https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63692981
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4380 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The last time they did 'electoral reform' they saddled the nation with the nonsense of devolved parliaments and duds and retreads like Khan.

All these little groups do is argue the toss with the government of the day and say "I'm sticking up for Scotland/London etc" - when they already have MPs to do that. An elected House of Lords would also claim electoral legitimacy in the same way if someone voted for them. It's a bad idea.

It's seems bonkers to me that anyone thinks we need more elected politicians and more layers of government and contestation, we need fewer.

It is an obvious sop to his core vote, fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things (the HoL is only advisory) and an attempt to change the conversation from his acceptance of the OBR's budget forecasts, which essentially confine any budgetary wriggle room for Labour to campaign on.

He's simply re-running Blair's playbook from the mid 90s. We all know how that went the minute they stopped having to stick to Ken Clarke's budgets and it was the starting gun for all that followed.
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

Bubbs, devolution was constitutional reform not electoral. An elected second chamber won't be able to claim electoral supremacy (which is what I think you were driving at) as the constitutional remit would be restricted to revision. The HoC would still be supreme.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Whenever devolving power more locally is raised you soon realise those whom are really anti state, and those that just resent paying income tax.....
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Tenbury wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:01 am Whenever devolving power more locally is raised you soon realise those whom are really anti state, and those that just resent paying income tax.....
Or both Tenners.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

DrVenk wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:57 am Bubbs, devolution was constitutional reform not electoral. An elected second chamber won't be able to claim electoral supremacy (which is what I think you were driving at) as the constitutional remit would be restricted to revision. The HoC would still be supreme.
If it is elected, it will argue for that to change.

If elected with a claim to so-called expertise rather than representation , it will also claim to be the superior choice and have a right to over-rule because 'the experts know best'.

The political groups will then pick their 'experts' who will just happen to have similar world views to them.

They'd be better off pulling 650 adults names off the electoral roll at random.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Tenbury wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:01 am Whenever devolving power more locally is raised you soon realise those whom are really anti state, and those that just resent paying income tax.....
That's flawed thinking.

You're just debating layers of government, rather than size.
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:08 am If it is elected, it will argue for that to change.

If elected with a claim to so-called expertise rather than representation , it will also claim to be the superior choice and have a right to over-rule because 'the experts know best'.

The political groups will then pick their 'experts' who will just happen to have similar world views to them.

They'd be better off pulling 650 adults names off the electoral roll at random.
That's all "if/then"....all conjecture mate!

It's not like an elected second chamber doesn't raise certain constitutional issues. But then the HoL in its current form has blocked legislation numerous times. As it stands, the only constitutional change would be the composition of chamber, not any changes to its legislative role.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2231 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

From what I can understand…any new upper chamber would still have the same powers/accountability; with the only change being the members of said chamber would be voted for and not appointed? And that’s a very good thing IMO

The increased devolution thing is a different?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 308 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Loftyhammer wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:59 am From what I can understand…any new upper chamber would still have the same powers/accountability; with the only change being the members of said chamber would be voted for and not appointed? And that’s a very good thing IMO

The increased devolution thing is a different?
Who appoints the people we get to choose from?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 308 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

He said that Tory leaders have handed peerages to "lackeys and donors".
He certainly has the front to be PM.
delbert
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 699 likes

Post by delbert »

When devolving power comes up we should think back to the 1960's documentary about that girls school St Trinian's, at one point officials from The Ministry of Education turn up to inspect them, that was it. Contrast that to today, now when a school is being looked at they'd be an avalanche of no mark wombles from the local authority turn up first, then inspectors from The Department of Education before the Ofsted mob arrive and give everyone a kicking.
Devolving doesn't necessarily mean adding efficiency......