The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Re: Next Labour Leader

Post by Samba »

Prob wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:04 am Unless Burnham gets quickly put into a very safe seat, he is out of the running. Lisa Nandy is always being spoken about. Wes Streeting isn't liked by the Tories as he holds them to account well.

Don't think Rachel Reeves carries much weight with her. Yvette Cooper is good but too tied to the new Labour which upsets many in the party still.
I'm still very unsure as to how popular Starmer will be at the next GE. I think Bodger could still beat him in those stakes.
I think Burnham would easily be much more popular than Starmer.
Imo, these local results said that both main party's are unpopular & need to up their game.
Of course, it also hints at another hung parliament next time..
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Starmer hasnt got the personality to win a GE. When voters get to the poll booth, they tend to vote for the leader they like best if they’re uncertain about their politics. Starmer will never win any popularity contest against someone like Johnson.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Starmer trying to curry favour with the electorate of Barnet, one of the Tories flagship councils on Friday, made me feel physically sick, coming as it did after his pious preaching at Boris to resign, when now Durham plod are opening am investigation into his own Lockdown violations
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:42 am Starmer trying to curry favour with the electorate of Barnet, one of the Tories flagship councils on Friday, made me feel physically sick, coming as it did after his pious preaching at Boris to resign, when now Durham plod are opening am investigation into his own Lockdown violations
Cry more.
sendô

Post by sendô »

A politician campaigning ahead of an election made you feel physically sick? :?
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Rays Rock wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:03 pm I believe thats the key thing about all this. The public kind of cared about this at the very start, but whoever orchestrated the staged daily leaking of other gatherings in an attempt to ramp up hysteria, has actually worked to turn off any real public interest through the art of news paralysis. At a time when people were bored stiff of bloody covid wall to wall coverage and the threat of more Christmas cancellations (especially Scotland and Wales), the plainly obviously contrived nature of the party daily news leaks stifled most other news output. We’ve come to a very dangerous point where almost every single news story gets converted into a political story. Somebody gets murdered or stabbed = under funding of social housing and opportunities for the poor, a house burns down killing a family as a chip pan was left on = lack of fire fighters due to lack of funding. The public are sick and tires of politicians, political commentators, political activism as proved by apathetic election turnouts and votes for the 2 main parties. So this latest Labour covid curry thing is deliberately acting to tune the public out of any focus on what is effectively some pretty minor crimes on the face of it. I suspect at least a 1/3 of people carried out at least one minor covid rule break during that period. Whether it was getting the grandparents round for a sneaky small birthday visit for the grandchild or a quick coffee in someones kitchen at the point where people had had enough of isolation for in late spring of the first lockdown. The story is really only big for people who are deeply involved in politics somehow or have unfortunately been denied access to a loved ones funeral, care home or hospital. No matter how tragic and very sad that last section is, it doesn’t cover that much of the population all said and done. I’m not defending anyone here, that’s just the way it is.
Excellent post Ray.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

sendô wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:10 pm Starmer hasnt got the personality to win a GE. When voters get to the poll booth, they tend to vote for the leader they like best if they’re uncertain about their politics. Starmer will never win any popularity contest against someone like Johnson.
Sad but true sendo.

The saddest part being that it seems personality is more important than gravitas.

Perhaps ITV and Cowell should introduce; 'Britains Got Personality,' a new TV show to replace our much maligned electoral system. Got to be more engaging than those 'debates'. Each candidate has two minutes to, sing, I drove my tractor through your haystack last night, (the Wurzels) dance or maybe do some conjuring. Boris clearly would just stumble on, ruffle his hair, mumble some nonsense..... oh, he's going to win again ain't he.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Not sure how much of a gambler Sir Kier is but there is a case, if confident of his case, to make a big deal of the need for potential & actual PM’s to abide by the laws they foist on us and say he’ll resign if a FPN is issued.

The contrast between him and the lying, corrupt hustler of a PM taking them for mugs is already fixed in the publics mind, that would doubly reinforce it and do Starmer no harm.
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

Give it a rest JP, you have more chance of turkeys voting for Christmas than people voting for starmer.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Upminster Hammer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:05 pm Give it a rest JP, you have more chance of turkeys voting for Christmas than people voting for starmer.
Why exactly is that then?

He is a respectable professional who earned his way to a top job rather than born into money and went to elite uni.

His parents were both working class and is a success story of going from small beginnings to knight of the realm.

The main reasons I seem to get when asking about anti starma are either the misconceptions surrounding the saville investigation (or lack of) which has been fact checked as wrong

Or that he isn't working class (when he is from working class background)

Or that he is boring (we really could do with a boring politically focused leader)

The other one which stacks up is that they don't know where he stands as he hasn't set out keys objectives yet. Which I'll agree

However why do you think people won't vote for starma?

People voted for Boris who even before covid was a proven serial liar and not a very nice person
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Or open up next PMQ’s with "does the Prime Minister think I should resign if I'm fined?"
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Junco Partner wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:25 pm Or open up next PMQ’s with "does the Prime Minister think I should resign if I'm fined?"
:grin:
That would be quite brilliant
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Junco Partner wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:25 pm Or open up next PMQ’s with "does the Prime Minister think I should resign if I'm fined?"
If Boris is smart he will just say I believe we should move past this and draw a line under it

If he wants starma to step down if fined then he must do the same or he looks worse
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

Johnson isn’t that petty.

Unlike labour who have been hanging on to this party gate until now.

World economy is about fall off a cliff, war in Europe, brexit… etc and labour care about a garden party.

I doubt conservatives will focus much on it other than call starmer a hypocrite.

Has starmer actually suggested how labour would handle anything different to the opposition or has his policy been to just point out where the conservatives have messed up.

I’m not sure of anything constructive that starmer has suggested.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Tories are worried he will resign if a notice is issued. Would turn it into an actual issue and show the difference between the two.

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

FWIW, I think both sides of this mishandled it. A bit of honesty and contrition would have gone down well rather than arguing something was “within the rules” like it was a moot.

Both major parties treat us common folk like **** and then wonder why there is so much apathy. I know so many people who only vote because it is the “right thing to do” and even that was challenged in the locals where a lot of candidates haven’t even bothered to knock on doors (at least not here).
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

IF Keir Starmer is issued an FPN for this, and pays the fine then he will have admitted the offence and should then resign. End of. It's about standards and abiding by the law of the land. Does any Tory on here not think the same about Johnson? And if you do feel the same, then why has he gone and how van you still consider voting Tory with him at the helm.

Look, I no longer care if Johnson stays or goes because how can I care about something I can have no effect on. For the sake of the country and standards in public office he needs to go but clearly he won't and this side of the election it's only the Tories who can rid us of him. If he stays then so be it, because under him the Tories are ****ed. And I'll take that.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Upminster Hammer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:03 pm Johnson isn’t that petty.

World economy is about fall off a cliff, war in Europe, brexit… etc and labour care about a garden party.

I doubt conservatives will focus much on it other than call starmer a hypocrite.

Has starmer actually suggested how labour would handle anything different to the opposition or has his policy been to just point out where the conservatives have messed up.

None of these? (15th march 2022)
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Oh give over.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Tbf I agree with that.

Labour have been banging the drum about the Tories breaking the rules, doing this that and the other wrong, but they've not laid out what they'd do, what their targets and goals are, or how if they were in power things would be better.

It's no good showing up how bad the current government are - Johnson and co are doing that well enough by themselves - they need to show that they're a worthy alternative, which they currently aren't.