The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Re: Next Labour Leader

Post by Monkeybubbles »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:01 am They have to tell people they have integrity. That's not something you tell other people you have, it's something other people see that you have. Hopefully there are a few politicians with integrity left somewhere, there must be a few out of the limelight that don't have their snout in a trough or get their friends influence. Some that don't fiddle expenses or hire family members, that don't break the laws they oversee, that stick to their principles but accept others principles as just as valid. I'd say following Corbyn and Johnson purging their parties there are likely to be even less than they used to be.
My old football coach used to tell us that the main differentiator between our level and elite players was "will to win". I think the same's true of politicians.

You need to look outside the government and shadow cabinet. There are lots of politicians doing good work that aren't desperate enough to climb the slippery pole. Principles are a barrier to progression.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Good point on R4 'Today' was what if the old bill 'fudge' it by not charging because of lack of convincing evidence ie. 'the law might have been broken' ? Expect Starmer would stay but it would remain a stick to beat him with.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:13 am My old football coach used to tell us that the main differentiator between our level and elite players was "will to win". I think the same's true of politicians.

You need to look outside the government and shadow cabinet. There are lots of politicians doing good work that aren't desperate enough to climb the slippery pole. Principles are a barrier to progression.
:newthumb: I believe that this is the case in most industries, I have worked with complete a-holes who should not even be given brooms to sweep up with, but due to their ambition/ruthlessness seem to move on and up.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

-DL- wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:37 pm I'm not going to trawl back through the thread, but somebody asked me last week before I went away, what it would take for me to vote Labour.
I don't want to derail the thread and go point to point on your list DL, but Corbyn did offer a lot of what you've listed, or else offered something similar.

At any rate, none of the other parties are offering any of this (as far as I can tell at first glance), so is your current party of choice (whoever they are, assuming you have one) held to the same standards?

I'm not having a dig. I'm actually interested in people's perceptions of what each political party should be about.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

vietnammer wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:13 am Good point on R4 'Today' was what if the old bill 'fudge' it by not charging because of lack of convincing evidence ie. 'the law might have been broken' ? Expect Starmer would stay but it would remain a stick to beat him with.
That is a good point, and probably where we'll end up.

It's a mess, although some bloke/lad on QT last week(?) suggested (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'you shouldn't blame Boris for partying because they were stupid rules anyway' :crylol:
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

-DL- wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:37 pm I'm not going to trawl back through the thread, but somebody asked me last week before I went away, what it would take for me to vote Labour.
Does this mean you're not going to vote, as nobody offers what you're asking for?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

sendô wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:24 pm I don't want to derail the thread and go point to point on your list DL, but Corbyn did offer a lot of what you've listed, or else offered something similar.

At any rate, none of the other parties are offering any of this (as far as I can tell at first glance), so is your current party of choice (whoever they are, assuming you have one) held to the same standards?

I'm not having a dig. I'm actually interested in people's perceptions of what each political party should be about.
I don't have a party of choice. Never have had, which leads me on to what MB has asked - no, I won't be voting - as none of them offer the slightest thing that interests me, or has any policies or manifesto that even makes me have the slightest inclination.

I basically did say that nothing on that list was going to happen - all I ask is a party that gets my interest, and actually has a leader that I think would be good for the country as a whole.

I'm kind of in a pickle, because our local Tory MP is brilliant - and yet - I don't want to vote for her in 2024, because it's a vote for Boris.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Yes, our "vote for your local representative who will ride up to London and represent your constituency's interests by banding together with like-minded MPs" system is redundant.

Everything needs an overhaul. Especially local government.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

It always amuzes me in the aftermath of an election with the winner bright-eyed and enthusing how they are going to make a difference, I think to myself oh yes, just wait for the whips to get hold of you

Lobby fodder most of them whatever complexion
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I doubt I'll be voting in the next election, unless the local Green candidate looks a little less like someone who would chain themself to a tree.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Whatever their political persuasion, I'm in favour of politicians being chained to trees.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Tenbury wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:03 am Whatever their political persuasion, I'm in favour of politicians being chained to trees.
Can't it be railings or something instead? What's the poor tree done to deserve that? At least hippies and green protesters actually care about the tree....
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 677 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

YouGov polling on Starmer ...

41% see him as principled. 23% as unprincipled. By contrast, 14% think Johnson is principled.
31% see him as trustworthy and 36% see him as untrustworthy. Those figures are unchanged since April. Again by contrast, only the 12% who haven't been paying attention or have been living under a rock consider Johnson trustworthy).

So on the face of it, 'beergate' hasn't (yet anyway) affected his ratings.

When it comes to competence, 40% think Starmer is competent whilst 25% think Johnson is

Starmer needs to get those figures higher but even if he doesn't, the difference between people's perception of him and Johnson is stark.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Any idea how his numbers look compared to others that defeated an incumbent? 31% seems pretty low considering trust is his big card
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Tenbury wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:03 am Whatever their political persuasion, I'm in favour of politicians being chained to trees.
Anchors and middle of oceans spring to mind TBH.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

Meat hooks and lampposts have a more deterring factor.....
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

She won't go quietly in the night, she'll do what ever she can to Klingon to power.......
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

It's now actually harder to shift her as they have removed the custodial part of the sentence. Only chance now is if she gets a 10 day suspension.

Still starmer said weeks ago he was doing everything he could to get a recall ballot.organised.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I wouldn't get a job in the council if I had a criminal record but I guess being an MP is fair game.