The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3093 likes

Re: Next Labour Leader

Post by MB »

last.caress wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:59 pm This is somewhat off-topic so I don't want to dwell on it for too long but: Why are they a joke party? I mean I agree that they're a joke and have been for as long as I can remember, but how has this happened? If - and I appreciate I'm generalising here - most rationally-minded people are moderates of either one side of the fence or t'other, why isn't there a centrist party which can reel all of them in and banish the headbangers of both sides to the fringes where they belong? A million years ago the Liberal Party were genuinely electable. A million years ago.

What happened?
The Lib Dems have never recovered from the coalition. It is also hard to get people excited when you offer a moderate view of, some of , both the main sides policies. At a time when our politics has become even more partisan, there aren’t many who wanted to hear softly softly approaches to things (sadly, IMO as those actually have some chance of working).

Same reason Starmer has a difficult route to follow. Has to mimic the success of Blair without coming across too Blair like given that brand is so heavily tarnished.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

MB wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:23 pm The Lib Dems have never recovered from the coalition. It is also hard to get people excited when you offer a moderate view of, some of , both the main sides policies. At a time when our politics has become even more partisan, there aren’t many who wanted to hear softly softly approaches to things (sadly, IMO as those actually have some chance of working).

Same reason Starmer has a difficult route to follow. Has to mimic the success of Blair without coming across too Blair like given that brand is so heavily tarnished.
Ironically it's entirely what this country needs.

Rather than decades of one party going full steam one direction to then change for a decade of the other direction

A constant middle ground of bland, boring politics
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:38 pm And this is why you should never vote Labour ... how any union can affiliate itself with Labour after that is beyond me

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62329521
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... n=sharebar

Yeah real against the workers
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 700 likes

Post by delbert »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:58 pm https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... n=sharebar

Yeah real against the workers
The comments provide an interesting response, especially the bit about him representing striking miners pro bono.......
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

MB wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:23 pm The Lib Dems have never recovered from the coalition. It is also hard to get people excited when you offer a moderate view of, some of , both the main sides policies. At a time when our politics has become even more partisan, there aren’t many who wanted to hear softly softly approaches to things (sadly, IMO as those actually have some chance of working).

They will never get over Nick Clegg giving the thumbs up outside number 10 with Cameron...just before getting shunted completey aside and ignored by the Tories as austerity was bought in.
simon hammer
Has liked: 981 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by simon hammer »

delbert wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:01 pm The comments provide an interesting response, especially the bit about him representing striking miners pro bono.......
He says he wants to win power in order to give that power back to the working people.

Does anyone honestly believe that? He's a politician, and leader of the opposition...of course he will say stuff that he thinks will get him and his party elected.

There is no party that represents me. None. Greens are probably the closest tbh...but Tories, Labour and the Lib Dems are so far away from the mark that I can't vote for any of them.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

smuts wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:10 pm They will never get over Nick Clegg giving the thumbs up outside number 10 with Cameron...just before getting shunted completey aside and ignored by the Tories as austerity was bought in.
Nor will they get over shafting what should be their natural voter base, students, by reneging on a promise to abolish student loans. it doesn't matter what excuse they gave, they broke their promise.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Cameron played Clegg like a fiddle. Coalition my arse.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

I see a number of Labour front benchers, including former leadership candidate Lisa Nandy, are out on the picket lines today?
Is Starmer going to sack them too?
As his authority seems to be ebbing away, and the fact he is on the wrong side of opinion both in his Party and with the public at large, could he be on the way out.
Recent comments from a few senior Labour figures ( Angela Rayner, Andy Burnham etc..) show that a few vultures could be circling.........................
OFT
Has liked: 3212 likes
Total likes: 1839 likes

Post by OFT »

ironsonthebrain wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:15 pm I see a number of Labour front benchers, including former leadership candidate Lisa Nandy, are out on the picket lines today?
As his authority seems to be ebbing away, and the fact he is on the wrong side of opinion both in his Party and with the public at large, could he be on the way out.
Recent comments from a few senior Labour figures ( Angela Rayner, Andy Burnham etc..) show that a few vultures could be circling.........................
No it isn't, quite the contrary in fact.

Jess Phillips on TV on Friday " There was no memo telling us not to attend the picket lines"

I made a similar mistake thinking that Tarry had been 'kicked out' for going on a picket line, but as guided by Pinky's post on here I looked it up and he was kicked out for making unauthorised statements which all the shadow cabinet had agreed not to do.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by Prob »

ironsonthebrain wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:15 pm I see a number of Labour front benchers, including former leadership candidate Lisa Nandy, are out on the picket lines today?
That is some Out of left field thinking.

Starmer is fine and has strong support, there is no vultures and public support is on his side.

He is leading a party that is a government in waiting, not a silly protest party.

FYI Sam Tarry wasn't sacked for going on the picket lines and there where a number of Labour MPs on the picket line that day and in the past.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

"You may not like Starmer, but is your dislike worth another decade of conservative rule. Politics is not about your perfect wish, it is about moving slowly forward."

Very good point.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 700 likes

Post by delbert »

Prob wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:41 pm That is some Out of left field thinking.

Starmer is fine and has strong support, there is no vultures and public support is on his side.

He is leading a party that is a government in waiting, not a silly protest party.
Looks like he's been getting some practice at the old rule breaking:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -interests
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

mumbles87 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:32 pm "You may not like Starmer, but is your dislike worth another decade of conservative rule. Politics is not about your perfect wish, it is about moving slowly forward."

Very good point.
I just think that highlights the absolute shitshow that is the political circus in the UK at the moment. It's been like that for years. I can't see anybody changing it.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2485 likes
Total likes: 4388 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Wonder how they'll feel about Sturgeon's hand shoved firmly up Starmer's jacksy?

Or Starmer being dictated to by London zone 1-2 Labour with it's ideas of how society should look.

Those are the things they'll have to think about in two years' time. Not thinking about them yet.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:36 pm Wonder how they'll feel about Sturgeon's hand shoved firmly up Starmer's jacksy?

Or Starmer being dictated to by London zone 1-2 Labour with it's ideas of how society should look.

Those are the things they'll have to think about in two years' time. Not thinking about them yet.
Sturgeon loathes Starmer. He wouldn't even acknowledge the Scot's will for independence, no chance in hell they'll ever join forces.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:36 pm Wonder how they'll feel about Sturgeon's hand shoved firmly up Starmer's jacksy?

Starmer is also as right wing as a Labour leader can get. Bloke is the definition of Tory light.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:36 pm Not thinking about them yet.
You’re right, they’ve got more important things to think about than your old play-list …

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

I think one of the biggest things to rake from that, is the second most popular answer on most of those is 'I don't know'.