The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Re: Next Labour Leader

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

If a general election were held today, regardless of what happens in Scotland, it would be a Blair-style land-slide. We'll see where we are in two years but at the moment Electoral Calculus calculate the likelihood of a Labour majority after a general election at 86%.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

https://electionmaps.uk/nowcast

If a election was held today. Labour win would be bigger than 1997
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:10 pm If a general election were held today, regardless of what happens in Scotland, it would be a Blair-style land-slide. We'll see where we are in two years but at the moment Electoral Calculus calculate the likelihood of a Labour majority after a general election at 86%.
And the Chester swing gives them a 30 seat majority.
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:54 pm And the Chester swing gives them a 30 seat majority.
OK - so you're basing your small majority now/ probable coalition at a GE predictions on this one by-election? That's a take on it that the Tory party itself will cling to / push.

Personally, I think we need to take into account all of the factors, not just one. These include what national opinion polls are estimating as the current swing which is greater than the swing we saw in Chester. It also includes the circumstances of the actual seat and how voters normally react to a party's candidate when the old one left in disgrace. That will normally suppress that party's vote. I wonder if there has ever been a by-election where an MP left in these circumstances and their party still achieved a 13.75% swing? It also includes listening to expert analysis: John Curtice, probably the most respected polling expert there is has said that this is a result that far surpasses what opposition parties usually achieve in their own seats mid-parliament when they are expected to canter home anyway.

I think these and other factors need to be taken into account but if you are right on this, why do you think that Electral Calculus's estimation of the chances of a Labour majority are as high as 86%?

Before someone, not you, misinterprets my words now or later on, none of what I am saying is predicting a huge Labour majority in two years, just that if an election was held today it would 100% be a nailed on landslide, and the Tories have a huge job to do these next two years to become competitive.

One other thing from Chester. Earlier you seemed to indicate earlier that of all the parties the LibDems maybe happiest with last night. That's plain wrong. They were an irrelevance yesterday. Less than 2,500 voters - less than 10% of the vote. I mention this because I suspect in normal circumstances they would have done better last night. It's pretty clear that tactical voting took place and that Liberals voted Labour to ensure the Tories got annihilated and this was in a seat the Tories were never going to win anyway. We've seen Labour voters vote Liberal and vice versa with good Tory-stuffing effect. If that's replicated at a GE these polls we're seeing now, although appalling for the Tories, won't tell the half of the trouble hey are in.

As I type this, I've just seen that Sajiv Javed won't stand at the next election. He's joining a growing list of Tory MPs to say that. They could all have good personal reasons for doing so or just be being horribly pessimistic of their chances of re-election of course. Or it could just be that they see the writing on the wall.
SammyLeeWasOffside

I'm saying I don't think it will be a landslide by the time the election comes round.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Don't a lot of people vote differently in a by-election anyway? People who want to send a message of dissatisfaction to the government knowing it won't change anything?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:37 pm I'm saying I don't think it will be a landslide by the time the election comes round.
If the Tories could be trusted to act with decency during the next 2 years then maybe

Fact is its own goal after own goal

Time to go 5 at the back
SammyLeeWasOffside

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:05 pm If the Tories could be trusted to act with decency during the next 2 years then maybe

Fact is its own goal after own goal

Time to go 5 at the back
It's the numbers really. 80 seats down needs a hammering just to get back level. So the chances of a landslide win from this position are next to none.

If the Tories pick up just a modicum in the next 2 years then a coalition will probably be needed to get labour in.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:21 pm It's the numbers really. 80 seats down needs a hammering just to get back level. So the chances of a landslide win from this position are next to none.

If the Tories pick up just a modicum in the next 2 years then a coalition will probably be needed to get labour in.
Those seats that are borrowed to "get brexit done" will return

All the red wall will return

It's going to be a majority labour
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Bookies still offering 11/10 on a Labour majority.
SammyLeeWasOffside

mumbles87 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:02 pm Those seats that are borrowed to "get brexit done" will return

All the red wall will return

It's going to be a majority labour
It wasnt in the 3 elections before that when the red wall was red.
Odessa
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:10 pm Bookies still offering 11/10 on a Labour majority.
4/9 is all I can find. I’d lump on 11/10.

5/2 for the Conservatives.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Odessa wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:33 am 4/9 is all I can find. I’d lump on 11/10.

5/2 for the Conservatives.
I think that is 'most seats' rather than majority (at least 326 seats).

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/br ... l-majority
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Dad sends his kids to school shock! :lol:

DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

^^^^ Man, they are struggling - it's great to see.

"It has emerged ....." :crossed: really translates as "our lot have ****ed the country up and ****ed it over. But our owners' interests are best served by them so we have dug like f*** to find something, anything on Starmer. This is all we can find but we're going to blow it up so he looks like a **** in the eyes of those who would never vote for him anyway".
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:43 pm ^^^^ Man, they are struggling - it's great to see.

"It has emerged ....." :crossed: really translates as "our lot have ****ed the country up and ****ed it over. But our owners' interests are best served by them so we have dug like **** to find something, anything on Starmer. This is all we can find but we're going to blow it up so he looks like a **** in the eyes of those who would never vote for him anyway".
Will no one stand up for the food critics? Poor Giles Coren was "forced to send his daughter to a private school" :crylol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

“Man sends children to local school”.

The quality of journalism at the Mail really is something else.
SammyLeeWasOffside

It's hardly his fault he can afford to live in a good catchment area.

How do they manage to get to spend 1.9m a year though? The primary ours went to is about the same size but has a budget of 700k.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

That’ll be all the avacados SLWO.
SammyLeeWasOffside

sendô wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:17 pm That’ll be all the avacados SLWO.
Lol

But where does the money come from? How can a state education system have that level of inequality in it? I thought they were supposed to be funded per pupil.

Kids at this school are getting almost 3 times the funding as ours. No wonder there is inequality in results and opportunities if some schools are minted while others need teachers to pay for books.