The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 204 likes

Re: Next Labour Leader

Post by Prob »

-DL- wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:14 pm So when a Labour does it, it's a mistake or someone else's fault, when a Tory does it, it's the Tories fault?

Nothing like balance, is there...
It's all about context. But this is a prime example of people holding Labour to a far higher standard than the Tories.

It would be an issue if Starmer was receiving gifts via tickets corporate to Arsenal, then two weeks later the person/ group/ company was then handed a massive government contact.

Boris has been in front of the Parliamentary Commissioner a few times, his paid for holiday by a Tory donor, his earnings of £50,000 and for his part ownership of a house, they didn't look into how he paid for his wallpaper. Boris did want Kathryn Stone sacked a while ago. Alot of MPs end up in front of the Parliamentary Commissioner mostly due to late registration of interest. It is stupid to declare gifts and outside earnings late, but it happens.

He literally cannot win. Either a minor mistake gets completely blown out of proportion, or he spends so much time checking over administrative and clerical work that he can do nothing else.

This clear and deliberate attempt to try and paint him as just as bad as Johnson is completely ridiculous.

But if Labour had an example like Owen Paterson and then trying to change the rules in the last few years it would be interetsing.

Not a good look when you are trying to uphold standards and just gives easy attack lines
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

The bloke went to Arsenal vs Watford and the British Kebab Awards.

He's suffered enough.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Prob wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:52 pm It's all about context. But this is a prime example of people holding Labour to a far higher standard than the Tories.

Different standards perhaps, certainly not higher ones..........
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3095 likes

Post by MB »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:50 pm The bloke went to Arsenal vs Watford and the British Kebab Awards.

He's suffered enough.
You'd probably want to forget both as well!

This is a minor infraction in the grand scheme but you cannot throw mud at the Government unless you are completely clean yourself.

Starmer should be making sure his team is all over this kind of stuff.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Prob wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:09 pm You know this is most likely due to a staff member not putting them in on time or not crossing all the T's and dotting the I's

Its not like he is defrauding the state by watching Arsenal play
You can delegate tasks but you can't delegate responsibility. If the rules say freebies must be declared withing twenty eight days it's up to the member to make it happen. Having said that it's hardly the crime of the century. A reprimand and an apology to the house would suffice.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ohnson?amp

This wasn’t a big headline in this weeks observer for quite obvious reasons. I really can’t think of a set of better circumstances for the opposition to make a big move for re-election. Once the national trade union strikes hit us and some shadow front benchers are linked with supporting them, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find Tories with a slim lead in the polls again. Even in an Opinium poll which conduct polling for the Guardian and Observer.
Question to you Labour boys, what’s he doing wrong !
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Rays Rock wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:40 am https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ohnson?amp

This wasn’t a big headline in this weeks observer for quite obvious reasons. I really can’t think of a set of better circumstances for the opposition to make a big move for re-election. Once the national trade union strikes hit us and some shadow front benchers are linked with supporting them, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find Tories with a slim lead in the polls again. Even in an Opinium poll which conduct polling for the Guardian and Observer.
I'm not exactly a Labour boy but I don't think he's great, from what I have seen, at projecting ideas or a vision. Whether they have a vision I don't know, there isn't much point in letting on right now given that the government may well steal it if it is any good.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 264 likes
Total likes: 231 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Being a Gooner ain’t a great start, granted.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:54 am Being a Gooner ain’t a great start, granted.
Sadly we're not a point yet where the country is enlightened enough to accept that supporting any London football team with an "N" postcode should be a disqualifying factor from holding any public office.

We'll get there though :wolfy:
OFT
Has liked: 3234 likes
Total likes: 1851 likes

Post by OFT »

Rays Rock wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:40 am https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ohnson?amp

Firstly, I am a Labour boy ( labour old man to be precise), it's how I was brought up, and I can't imagine ever being anything else(I can explain that but lets's keep to the topic). That, however, doesn't mean I'm in the 'everything Red good, everything Blue bad' gang although this current government are testing that.

Starmer??
I think it's 'public perception' .Is he a bit dull,perhaps uninspiring ? I think he is, and without wanting to turn this into 'it's Boris's fault' he seems to be neither of those things, on the face of it at least, and somehow has managed to convince 'Joe Average' that being 'a bit wheyhey' is a good thing. Starmer has made it to the top of his profession outside of politics, appears calm and measured but has little charisma. Would he make a better PM than Johnson? well who wouldn't, sadly, I don't think we're ever going to find out.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3095 likes

Post by MB »

When the Guardian starts having a dig at the Labour leader then you really know you need to up your game.

Slightly surprised she didn't throw in a Bridget Jones analogy (too close to truth?)

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

John Major was quite boring but still won an election. Chelsea fan. Corbyn was also Arsenal. I don’t think David Cameron liked football.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:51 am John Major was quite boring but still won an election. Chelsea fan. Corbyn was also Arsenal. I don’t think David Cameron liked football.
He did indeed and got more votes than Thatcher or Blair ever did. In fact more than anyone ever did. May also got more votes than Thatcher or Blair did and she was quite dull.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:51 am I don’t think David Cameron liked football.
Nonsense. He was a Villa fan ... or was it West Ham ?
OFT

Post by OFT »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:51 am John Major was quite boring but still won an election. Chelsea fan. Corbyn was also Arsenal. I don’t think David Cameron liked football.
Thats kinda my point, Johnson has taken whatever Gravitas remained in UK politics and turned in into a soap opera. From solemn to slalom if you will.

Clearly and sadly, it works.

This is clearly not the whole reason he's struggling but IMO much more of an influence than in the past.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:47 am Nonsense. He was a Villa fan ... or was it West Ham ?
Prince William is Villa.

You should support your local team or the one of your family heritage. Nobody here is Arsenal or Newcastle.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:42 pm Prince William is Villa.

You should support your local team or the one of your family heritage. Nobody here is Arsenal or Newcastle.
That would be me out of here lol
OFT

Post by OFT »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:44 pm That would be me out of here lol
Me too :P
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:44 pm That would be me out of here lol
But if you were from Gloucester or Derby with no East End heritage then people would question why you support The Hammers.

I had a season ticket at City for years and nearly everyone around me was from the North West of England even if it was Bolton, Oldham etc.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1872 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:42 pm Prince William is Villa.

Should be Brentford, based on geography. Or West Ham, like his mum 👍