The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Re: Next Labour Leader

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

EvilC wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:09 pm I really like Stewart and am alright with the King in the North. I agree, I suspect Stewart would see him off.
I can accept that Burnham might find his way into a labour cabinet, but Stewart welcomed back to the Tories?
JRM etc would sooner take hemlock. :D
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

What a wet blanket Starmer is ,a ****ing embarrassment to true Labour values .
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Very disappointed in this. Clearly getting elected is a must but bloody hell if there's no political party to support the workforce then we really are bolloxed.
Poor form Starmer.

Just to add, if, as a nation we've arrived at a point where a Labour leader has to sink to this for fear of the electorate , media or whatever, then. . See above.. bolloxed
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

For those not aware, Tarry faces de-selection as a labour candidate by his local constituency - he was toast and has simply picked a fight with Starmer over a decision they all signed up to in Shadow Cabinet,

Death by Cop.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

OFT wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:55 pm Very disappointed in this. Clearly getting elected is a must but bloody hell if there's no political party to support the workforce then we really are bolloxed.
Poor form Starmer.

Just to add, if, as a nation we've arrived at a point where a Labour leader has to sink to this for fear of the electorate , media or whatever, then. . See above.. bolloxed
What was I saying? :grin:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

sendô wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:16 am Isn't he? Most polls that I can see put voting intention for Labour ~40-42% vs the Tories at ~32-34%.

https://www.markpack.org.uk/155623/voti ... scorecard/
He’s not saying anything relevant. He’s not destroying them as the despatch box.

Starmer has taken lots of flak today for firing the Shadow Transport Minister for attending the strike demo. He’s a poor leader overall.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

RichieRiv wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:00 pm What was I saying? :grin:
:newthumb:
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

There is more than just that headline as to why Tarry was sacked.

He is very likely to be deselected by his local party soon. He has a close relationship with the deputy leader while having a wife a child. Claims to live in a 1 bed flat in Dagenham, while owning and living in Brighton. Has another female politician living at his 1 bedroom flat.

People will jump on it saying labour are no longer working class couldn’t be any further from the true here.

Tarry wasn’t the shadow transport minster by the way he gave himself a promotion. He was shadow minster for buses and local transport much more junior role.

What Tarry said was him knowing he is gone from his MP seat and lining himself up for a union job. Notice he hasn’t actually attack the Leaders office as he still needs them. This is a huge message from Starmer for internal politics.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

It's a worry in terms of control of the left for Starmer. He is desperately trying to give the impression the more radical left have gone or are under control.

His seat will probably go to the council leader. He would have had it before if it wasn't for a trumped up disciplinary that just happened to appear during selection (and then disappeared straight after). Wonder how Rayner feels about that sort of scummy behaviour.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:39 pm He’s not saying anything relevant. He’s not destroying them as the despatch box.

Starmer has taken lots of flak today for firing the Shadow Transport Minister for attending the strike demo. He’s a poor leader overall.
Isn't he? I thought him using the resignation letters and words each candidate used against each other and the PM last week was well done. Bozza by comparison just waved his arms and blustered a load of bull, but I suppose he was entertaining when he did it, and his hair's scruffy and he likes a piss up and fumbling around with the secretary behind the photocopier so I guess that's what makes for Prime Minister material these days.

As to Tarry, rumour is he was about to be deselected anyway, and so intentionally defied an agreement not to join picket lines knowing he'd get sacked and thus publicity.

If Labour want to win the next GE they need to win middle England, which is firmly blue. Shadow cabinet ministers standing on picket lines is not good optics for that, and would be easy propaganda for the Tory press.

As to quality of leadership, Boris Johnson is one of the worst leaders I've ever seen. Even if Starmer is poor, it's a significant upgrade.
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

OFT wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:55 pm Very disappointed in this. Clearly getting elected is a must but bloody hell if there's no political party to support the workforce then we really are bolloxed.
Poor form Starmer.

When Labour have been in charge they have clashed with the unions, it's only a thing now because they're doing it whilst in opposition.......
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:32 pm For those not aware, Tarry faces de-selection as a labour candidate by his local constituency - he was toast and has simply picked a fight with Starmer over a decision they all signed up to in Shadow Cabinet,

Death by Cop.
100%.

The way he secured the seat in 2019 was disgusting. Quite annoyed that Starmer has fallen for this pantomime.
On the eve of a key selection meeting and vote, Athwal, who is married to a woman and the father of four children, was placed under suspension by a Corbynite-dominated national Labour disciplinary committee following an allegation of sexual harassment made months earlier by, as On London established at the time, a man who deleted his Twitter account around the time inquiries about him were being made. It took almost a year for Athwal to be cleared of any wrongdoing, bringing to an end a period of his life he described as “torture” and “hell”.
https://www.onlondon.co.uk/ilford-south ... candidate/
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Prob wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:00 pm Labour has worked with in the lib dem in the past in 1997
They also formed a coalition with the Tories.

The Lib Dems are a joke of a party. Always have been, always will be.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Yet again Starmer takes his gun and shoots himself in BOTH feet!
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:17 am The Lib Dems are a joke of a party. Always have been, always will be.
This is somewhat off-topic so I don't want to dwell on it for too long but: Why are they a joke party? I mean I agree that they're a joke and have been for as long as I can remember, but how has this happened? If - and I appreciate I'm generalising here - most rationally-minded people are moderates of either one side of the fence or t'other, why isn't there a centrist party which can reel all of them in and banish the headbangers of both sides to the fringes where they belong? A million years ago the Liberal Party were genuinely electable. A million years ago.

What happened?
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

sendô wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:26 pm As to quality of leadership, Boris Johnson is one of the worst leaders I've ever seen. Even if Starmer is poor, it's a significant upgrade.
Utter nonsense. Johnson destroyed Labour with a huge majority, delivered Brexit and we became the most vaccinated country in Europe.

Starmer has nothing about him at all to suggest leadership and an electable Prime Minister. He may be a good speaker but that’s down to his law background.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

last.caress wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:59 pm This is somewhat off-topic so I don't want to dwell on it for too long but: Why are they a joke party? I mean I agree that they're a joke and have been for as long as I can remember, but how has this happened? If - and I appreciate I'm generalising here - most rationally-minded people are moderates of either one side of the fence or t'other, why isn't there a centrist party which can reel all of them in and banish the headbangers of both sides to the fringes where they belong? A million years ago the Liberal Party were genuinely electable. A million years ago.

What happened?
I'd wager it's a combination of wishy-washy polices, a larger proportion of weak leaders than strong leaders and for me, the coalition with the Conservatives under Nick Clegg was the lowest point for them. They constantly railed against Tory polices to the point where the British public voted for them as a bulwark against Tory rule, only to be slapped in the face with them forming a coalition and being totally ineffective.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

last.caress wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:59 pm This is somewhat off-topic so I don't want to dwell on it for too long but: Why are they a joke party? I mean I agree that they're a joke and have been for as long as I can remember, but how has this happened? If - and I appreciate I'm generalising here - most rationally-minded people are moderates of either one side of the fence or t'other, why isn't there a centrist party which can reel all of them in and banish the headbangers of both sides to the fringes where they belong? A million years ago the Liberal Party were genuinely electable. A million years ago.

What happened?
I think they had a spell where they were sort of what the greens are now, the party of the younger person who didn't want to vote Tory but thought of Blair as a Tory as well. These young people possibly saw the libs as more more left leaning than is actually the case - a kind of labour light.

Clegg screwed this young cohort as the lib Dems became the one party in history who got damaged by not sticking to an election promise. Having alienated the young leftish lib Dem voters they alienated more conservative lib Dem voters with their post referendum stance.

Add to that the greens have become the hip party and their leaders have been pretty much invisible.

If things play out right they could well be in for a resurgence though. If starmer can't govern without them then it's in their interests to get some sort of formal deal in place, with guarantees on numbers of seats they will be left alone in.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:10 pm we became the most vaccinated country in Europe.
No we are not that is Malta followed by Portugal, Italy, Denmark, Belgium, Iceland, German, Finland, Ireland, France, Sweden and then finally us

Boris oven ready brexit deal is a mess to the point they are now trying to undo it

Starmer has everything about him that will make him a good PM. But given, the last 3 PMs have been the worse in history we have ever had. Being good it what we need now