The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Re: Next Labour Leader

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:23 am Lol

But where does the money come from? How can a state education system have that level of inequality in it? I thought they were supposed to be funded per pupil.

Kids at this school are getting almost 3 times the funding as ours. No wonder there is inequality in results and opportunities if some schools are minted while others need teachers to pay for books.
:newthumb: you'd think the opposite would be true, i.e., wealthier schools needing less funding due to the available levels of parental support.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Corbyn-era legal costs could blunt Labour general election campaign

The UK's data watchdog has told the BBC it will not be prosecuting three prominent Jeremy Corbyn supporters accused of leaking confidential information.

This could have implications for Labour's ability to mount an effective general election campaign, as some in the party believe it could face a multi-million pound legal bill.

more...
In addition to these three there are five more waiting for a High Court hearing brought by Labour, with an estimated £3M to £4M of legal costs behind them.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Labour raised £5.4m in the run up to the 2019 general election, £14m less than the Conservatives.
The case for wholesale reform of political party funding is unanswerable.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Junco Partner wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:26 pm The case for wholesale reform of political party funding is unanswerable.
Were you saying that in 2017, when Labour raised £10 million more than the Conservatives?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... in-britain
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Junco Partner wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:26 pm The case for wholesale reform of political party funding is unanswerable.
I'd be interested to see your proposals for funding them. Not a gotcha, a genuine interest.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:25 pm I'd be interested to see your proposals for funding them. Not a gotcha, a genuine interest.
All donations go into a central pot.

Anyone who wishes to represent a party must fight the house speaker, the fight runs until someone concedes to a submission.

If they win then the other parties can contest the result but must put forward their own champion. If multiple parties wish to contest the result, then a free-for-all is declared.

Winner takes all.

Would make PMQT much more interesting. :newthumb:
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Sir Keir Starmer: I will slash ‘nonsense’ bureaucracy in the NHS

'“Why can’t people with persistent back problems self-refer to physio?” he said. “Why if you notice bleeding do you have to get a GP appointment, simply to get the tests that you then do yourself at home?'

All sounds very sensible to me.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

'stone hammer wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:23 pm Sir Keir Starmer: I will slash ‘nonsense’ bureaucracy in the NHS

'“Why can’t people with persistent back problems self-refer to physio?” he said. “Why if you notice bleeding do you have to get a GP appointment, simply to get the tests that you then do yourself at home?'

All sounds very sensible to me.
I suspect the objections would be that as individuals we lack medical expertise and understanding, and therefore we increase the risk of both mis-diagnosis and inappropriate self-referral.

Given that people already excessively self-refer to GPs, 999 and A&E leading to those services being swamped, doesn't this potentially add to the list of services facing the same fate?

The middle ground between self-referral and GP referral, would be to create a techie referral generator using automated diagnostics/chatbots etc to mimic the patient/doctor chat. A properly developed one would remove the inconsistency of human opinion that is sometimes encountered when dealing with medical professionals.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:16 pm Given that people already excessively self-refer to GPs, 999 and A&E leading to those services being swamped, doesn't this potentially add to the list of services facing the same fate?
I think the point is that people were already going to do it, so Starmer's idea saves the overall system time.
The middle ground between self-referral and GP referral, would be to create a techie referral generator using automated diagnostics/chatbots etc to mimic the patient/doctor chat. A properly developed one would remove the inconsistency of human opinion that is sometimes encountered when dealing with medical professionals.
I'm surprised that hasn't been done already, particularly when it comes to minor physical problems. Create a questionnaire to diagnose, send prescription, no doctor needed.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

'stone hammer wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:34 am I'm surprised that hasn't been done already, particularly when it comes to minor physical problems. Create a questionnaire to diagnose, send prescription, no doctor needed.
Our GP practice uses a system called Patches. It's not an AI/ML tool per se but it does step the patient through a list of qualifying questions with diagrams and pain ranges etc so they can direct you to the right place. I find it quite useful as it gets me to focus on what the issue is (and avoids any nosey receptionists) but I appreciate its probably not for everyone.

Sorry for wandering off topic...
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

In the absence of the Conservatives doing anything to reduce the Labour lead in the polls, Diane has decided to step up.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I am sure KS will be trying to sideline DA over the next 12 months...

Streeting has impressed me of late regarding all things NHS.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I don't see the point she's making above, loads of people round here use their chemist for Covid and flu jabs.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:21 pm I am sure KS will be trying to sideline DA over the next 12 months...

Streeting has impressed me of late regarding all things NHS.
Really?
I'd trust him as far as I could throw him, especially with regard to the NHS.
Both he and Starmer have taken funding from those with involvement in private healthcare companies. They won't be giving their money away free - they'll want some quid pro quo for their quids- that's for sure.

https://inwhoseinterests.home.blog/2022 ... nt-page-1/
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

https://unherd.com/2023/01/the-labour-p ... cf901b06bf

Sounds like Lloyd Russell-Moyle needs a cuddle.......
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

1500 voters:

hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I think that’s been a deliberate plan from Starmer imo. Let the Tories self-harm and only say just about enough that gets you by up until election time.

Big decisions coming up for Labour in terms of what goes into the manifesto. I’d like to see them commit to a small number of things that will make the most impact. They’re walking into a financial **** show.

Under promise, over deliver should be what they are selling.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"

Post by Junco Partner »

Only one Prime Minister was on show in the Commons today, and it wasn't the little fella in the shrunken suit.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

The SNP don't stand in enough seats.
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

The wee baldy SNP man saying the Tory party are simply "A parcel of rogues"

Starmer should borrow that one.