The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Re: The Labour Party Thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

Another day, another dead promise.

Stories also running about money being taken from a green 'industrialist'.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1850 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Good news this :thup:

They've absolutely routed the Tories in Plymouth and taken control of Medway as well. All 3 areas have got seats that are major targets come the next general election.

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 310 likes
Total likes: 1085 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Any footage from outside the ground in Stoke?
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:21 am Any footage from outside the ground in Stoke?
Yes.

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1781 likes

Post by hammers92 »

That’s outrageous from Lammy, remember who you actually work for.

I consider myself economically very hard left wing and socially Conservative (work that one out). I find it very hard to associate myself with the current Labour Party in all honesty.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

hammers92 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:17 pm That’s outrageous from Lammy, remember who you actually work for.
Surely anyone who gets into politics at any serious level is self serving? I've not ever really seen anything that makes me question that.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 708 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:30 am Surely anyone who gets into politics at any serious level is self serving? I've not ever really seen anything that makes me question that.
I've come to the conclusion that politics just does not attract competent people. The media scrutiny, the constant lying and the covering for inexcusable and unfair policies that they don't believe in only attracts a certain kind of person. Anybody competent who has worked a real job or owned their own business wouldn't want to go anywhere near politics. It's so toxic and narcissistic that anybody with a conscience or an ounce of common sense would just find it totally alien to live your life in a charade which is basically what politicians have become.

Politics - a theatre for ugly actors.
Danny's Dyer Acting

Some promising stuff for Labour when you look at the local election results in detail. Winning in key target seats :thup:

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

:newthumb: And that’s just target numbers 126-250. Lord knows how bad the top 124 target seats look like from the government’s perspective.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:30 am Surely anyone who gets into politics at any serious level is self serving? I've not ever really seen anything that makes me question that.
Having worked with both town and district councillors I would say you are right.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

In the last few days:

Question:- Would you go into coalition with the SNP?
Starmer:- No. We will not enter a coalition with the SNP.

Question:- Would you form a coalition with the Lib Dems?
Starmer:- I don't answer hypothetical questions.

Draw your own conclusions.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:33 pm Draw your own conclusions.
That Labour wouldn't go into a coalition with the SNP under any circumstance, but they are reserving the right to consider going into one with the Lib Dems should the situation arise whereby they might need to.

You know, just like the Tories did in 2010.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^To be honest, I'd have more respect for him if he came out and said that rather than saying he doesn't answer hypothetical questions when he just did eactly that.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:10 pm ^^^^To be honest, I'd have more respect for him if he came out and said that rather than saying he doesn't answer hypothetical questions when he just did eactly that.
Surely it's a bit like asking Chelsea if they would buy Declan Rice. It would be foolish to give a confirmatory answer while negotiation is some way off.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 860 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

You might be surprised. All of them that I’ve ever worked around over the years, of all political flavours, have had a genuine desire to do well for the country.

It’s easy to get likes and thumbs up for bashing politicians on social media, but the majority are actually good people.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

hammers92 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:17 pm That’s outrageous from Lammy, remember who you actually work for.

I consider myself economically very hard left wing and socially Conservative (work that one out). I find it very hard to associate myself with the current Labour Party in all honesty.
Lammy saying "it would take too much time" must be the lamest excuse I've ever heard.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:29 pm You might be surprised. All of them that I’ve ever worked around over the years, of all political flavours, have had a genuine desire to do well for the country.

It’s easy to get likes and thumbs up for bashing politicians on social media, but the majority are actually good people.
I'm no Tory but 2 of the 3 Conservative councillors in the ward where my wife's shop is are excellent. No desire to be an MP etc.

Sadly our elected MP is what kills them for me. Has signed off on cuts over the years that has led Havering to the brink of bankruptcy.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 310 likes
Total likes: 1085 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

smuts wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:31 pm Lammy saying "it would take too much time" must be the lamest excuse I've ever heard.
How often do things that oppositions rail against actually get undone when they get into power?

On the coalition stuff I don't see a problem with it, although I don't see why starmer would think it necessary tbh. How awkward to his policies would the lib Dems actually be if labour were a minority. I think most people could hazard a guess at the lib Dems price for a coalition.

Pacts beforehand I don't like unless it's made clear what you are voting for.
Danny's Dyer Acting

Omnisis were very close to the final results with their specific local election polling :eyes: