The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Re: Next Labour Leader

Post by hammers92 »

EvilC wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:14 am What does the country need? The return of Corbyn?
I’m enjoying a nice coffee in the piazza in Florence.

Too big a question for a Saturday morning. :crylol:
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Bonjourno
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

hammers92 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:43 am I’m enjoying a nice coffee in the piazza in Florence.

Too big a question for a Saturday morning. :crylol:
I've spent 90 minutes speaking to IKEA (starting at 7:30) trying to resolve an order they ****ed up, so you are winning here.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:48 am Bonjourno
Jon's better educated brother?
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I see that Starmer has followed Sunak's lead and has indicated his five priorities.

Growfff, climate stuff, something about education, the NHS and justice.

The public's (according to the long running Ipsos Issues Index) are the economy, prices, immigration, healthcare and faith in the political system.

Not much of a crossover.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:05 am I see that Starmer has followed Sunak's lead and has indicated his five priorities.

The public's (according to the long running Ipsos Issues Index) are the economy, prices, immigration, healthcare and faith in the political system.

Not much of a crossover.
I see a lot of crossover there.

Growth will help towards the economy and the prices we pay for goods and services.

NHS fits into the above, but IMO needs an overhaul rather than just more money thrown at it.

Faith in the political system would improve by getting the other stuff right.

Immigration is a touchy subject at the best of times but a lot can be done all round IMO.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:48 am Bonjourno
buongiorno?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

hammers92 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:43 am I’m enjoying a nice coffee in the piazza in Florence.
James Richardson, is that you?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

old fart wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:23 pm buongiorno?
Thats not how its spelt in Barnsley :crylol:
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:55 pm Thats not how its spelt in Barnsley :crylol:
You just reminded me Romford organised a break for me and the missus fly into Pisa 2 nights in Florence train to Rome 2 nights there, tickets for the Rome Derby (the missus was in love with Di Canio)
Can't remember how many sovs it was

Bless him
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:15 pm Rentoul at the Indy: https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ke ... 88076.html
This is the thing - I feel like Starmer is just another robot politician in the line of Blair, Cameron, May, Truss and now Sunak. It just all feels like empty sloganeering. Barely any personality.

Personality - and certainly the cult of it - isn't necessarily a good thing in a PM or politician, but it at least gives supporters a reason to cheer rather these drab statements and vacant 'five pledges'. Politicians have been doing them for years, Ed Miliband carved his in a stone didn't he?

It all just feels so pointless and vacant.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I get what you're saying, but we've tried a couple of alternatives, a lying arrogant twat and a vacuous Stepford Wife, so just now a routinely boring politician seems quite attractive...
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

Tenbury wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:20 am I get what you're saying, but we've tried a couple of alternatives, a lying arrogant twat and a vacuous Stepford Wife, so just now a routinely boring politician seems quite attractive...
In a way, you're not wrong Tenbury - I guess I'd just like to feel like Starmer actually understood what was going on in the day to day life of those that'll be voting for him and his party.

When you look at his five pledges, they're all quite big picture things for 'the Country' but didn't really say much about how it will impact 'the people'.

At least with Sunak's promises, there was a cause and effect. We'll cut inflation so that you don't have as much financial strain, for example, is a 'here's what we'll do, and here's how that helps you' kind of statement.

I didn't get that from Starmer, and to be honest making on his promises about growth makes him sound more like Truss than it does a Labour leader, especially given how recent in the memory her idea of growth is.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I don't have any real issue with KS blandness to date, he is playing the game pretty well due to the incompetence of the other lot, RS is growing stronger (not much to beat from within) so will have to keep turning the heat up during the year. It all does feel a little "New Labour - Blair" without the razzmataz and D'ream blaring out. KS still has work to do, but fair play to him in the main so far.
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

What's the modern equivalent of D'ream's 'Things Can Only Get Better'?
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Reminds me of when Mrs Bubbs wanted our first dance at our wedding to be The Sun Aint Gonna Shine Anymore.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 678 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:05 am I see that Starmer has followed Sunak's lead and has indicated his five priorities.

Not much of a crossover.

Of what you say, Ipsos Mori say, are the public's top five priorities, the party "most trusted" on each issue - Labour figures first then the Tories'. I've put the figures in pretty red and blue colours to make it clearer :)

Economy: 37% to 24%
Prices: No direct comparison in the Redfield and Wilton figures, but the most/ vaguely related ones ones - economy (again), tackle poverty, manage housing, to fix or reform the economy, invest in left behind areas, to 'level up' the area in which you live' give no indication that had 'prices' been a category that the Tories would be doing any better than in the other categories.
Immigration: 33% to 21%
Healthcare: 44% to 17% (the nearest Redfield and Wilton category was 'to tackle crime').
Justice: 34% to 19% (the nearest Redfield and Wilton category was 'to support the NHS').

Labour lead with the public on everything, even Ukraine, and as you can see from the figures most of the time, the Tories aren't even close. It's typically c***ish of the man and divisive and bleak, but it's easy to see why Lee Anderson the try vice-chair said that his party would have to give culture wars a punt at the next election. They have nothing else to go with. Starmer is doing just fine.