The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2626 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Re: Next Labour Leader

Post by EvilC »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:16 pm Oh I agree at the time of the pandemic and the act of not following the rules. Accept the punishment coming and move on.

Probably worded badly on my part but it's the mud slinging, about the fines and asking them to quit, from each side that is doing my nut in. Instead of strong leadership and policies (and how they are to be achieved) we get Boris had a cake in No.10 during lockdown. Yeah, well your leader had a beer up north. To be honest, they both should go but who in the political world has strong leadership in any party (I know this is a labour thread).
What does "accept the punishment coming and move on" mean exactly? Who is meant to "move on" - me, or the Prime Minister?
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Good morals = Good politics. Who knew? Certainly not Johnson that’s for sure.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

If Starmer does resign if he gets a fine then good on him.

I bet Johnson has about another 3 at least heading his way...if the Met ever get round to finishing their investigation.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

I'm not going to trawl back through the thread, but somebody asked me last week before I went away, what it would take for me to vote Labour.

Forgive me for not remembering who it was - I would say I've been asleep since then, but I've probably not had enough of it, which may explain it.

Anyway...

First and foremost, they'll need a leader and potential PM to at least have some conviction - I suppose Corbyn was to some degree, but he was also a bit bonkers with it.

Scrap VAT on household energy, and bring it in-house to the government - but run by an energy company on a franchised basis for a fixed term and fee and protect households from market volatility with a 2% levy absorbed in to bills to help cover the costs of market volatility.

Scrap National Insurance and just whack tax up to 29%, with a £15000 tax free allowance adjusted for inflation each year.

Get rid of franchises for the railways, and have a not for profit arms length governmental organisation and a single private company run it on a 10 year tender basis - in fact, do that for all public transport.

Restructure The NHS and trim the ridiculous amount of management layers - and hold trusts accountable for wastage and invest in clinical staff. If you pass assessments and aptitude tests, be salaried during your training, with no fees to pay - actually invest in them rather than saddle people with debt - even if it means privatising some services and the company foot the bill.

Scrap the ridiculous notion of charging VAT on fuel duty. Calculate the VAT on the price of the fuel, then add the fuel duty on to the that and VAT.

Bring in a windfall tax for companies whose profits are boosted by adversity - such as what is going on now with energy, and the same even lower down the scale for companies like Amazon, Supermarkets, etc that made a killing during lock-down.

An elected House of Lords.

Immediate loss of seat for MPs that get a criminal conviction - a genuine one, in a court of law.

Legally require certain types of businesses to have apprenticeships, and do away with this notion that you need a degree to get anywhere in life - and give these companies tax breaks as an incentive.

Give people that are genuinely not able to work due to long term, chronic, or debilitating conditions a liveable income, that not only allows them to cover cost of living, but to also have a decent quality of life.

There's many more I could add, but obviously there's as much chance of the above happening as there is of me growing a full pair of tits and calling myself Brenda - but my point is - just give me something, anything, that I can look at and say 'yes, this is wonderful not just for me, but society as a whole', that can make the average working man and woman, and those unable to work not just better off, but have a better quality of life in general.

I'm a firm believer that the state should be a safety blanket to fall back on, or to help in time of need - and state help not be a lifestyle choice, which for many, it is.

Even if that surfaced could be scratched, I would willingly put an X in the box that says (Labour) next to a candidate's name.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I'd quite like Starmer to resign just to see the pressure that it would put on Boris.

I'd imagine it would do a lot of good for Starmer's own personal career, and the Labour party in general if he did fall on his sword.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

EvilC wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:25 pm What does "accept the punishment coming and move on" mean exactly? Who is meant to "move on" - me, or the Prime Minister?
Accept the fine (if given by Durham Police) and draw a line under it. As DL said earlier, similiar to a speeding fine, you want to contest it in a court of law, and possibly get a criminal record. Nah he will know the risks in that. If he is so convinced that he is innocent and did not break the rules, I am sure he has provided the evidence and Durham police will see fit not to issue a fine.

Everyone is to move on. Why would you want to continue after the event? It has happened, a conclusion has been reached. Whether you agree with it or not? Of course, debate it but mud slinging on social media and the media about what the other side did is bollox.

We have serious problems heading our way that we know about (war, financial stresses, energy crisis) and that needs strong leadership.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:44 pm Accept the fine (if given by Durham Police) and draw a line under it. As DL said earlier, similiar to a speeding fine, you want to contest it in a court of law, and possibly get a criminal record. Nah he will know the risks in that. If he is so convinced that he is innocent and did not break the rules, I am sure he has provided the evidence and Durham police will see fit not to issue a fine.

Everyone is to move on. Why would you want to continue after the event? It has happened, a conclusion has been reached. Whether you agree with it or not? Of course, debate it but mud slinging on social media and the media about what the other side did is bollox.

We have serious problems heading our way that we know about (war, financial stresses, energy crisis) and that needs strong leadership.
I disagree. "Draw a line under it" is a convenient thing for someone to say that has been caught doing something they shouldn't.

I want to continue after the event because the PM has broken the rules he himself wrote and lied about in parliament. I'm sorry, but it is pretty clear that this should warrant his resignation.

We do need a "strong leader", but then I didn't want to have the current sack of custard.
sussexhammer74

Post by sussexhammer74 »

EvilC wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:49 pm I disagree. "Draw a line under it" is a convenient thing for someone to say that has been caught doing something they shouldn't.

I want to continue after the event because the PM has broken the rules he himself wrote and lied about in parliament. I'm sorry, but it is pretty clear that this should warrant his resignation.

We do need a "strong leader", but then I didn't want to have the current sack of custard.
OK fair enough, but what would you want after the punishment from either man. Or any punishment for any wrongdoing they have been caught doing when they shouldn't.

Where do you stop?
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Thing that strikes me: if Sir Keith had been photographed with a bottle of Evian instead of a beer, it wouldn't have been an issue. His leadership of the party hinges on his choice of beverage.

Moreover, if he'd been snapped with a half pint of 50/50 rum and coke none of this would have happened.

And that's a lesson that all you shandypuffs would do well to heed.
Last edited by Monkeybubbles on Mon May 09, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:44 pm
It probably does. Any ideas where that leadership might come from?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:58 pm It probably does. Any ideas where that leadership might come from?
Well I know of one charismatic leader that's retiring at the end of the season and will be looking for a new career :eyes:
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Roy Hodgson???
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:56 pm OK fair enough, but what would you want after the punishment from either man. Or any punishment for any wrongdoing they have been caught doing when they shouldn't.

Where do you stop?
I'm not sure what you are getting at here. If either bloke gets fined they should probably resign as leader of either party/PM. For obvious reasons it is Johnson who is the clearer case here. That's all there is too it. I'm not proposing a lynch mob or anything.
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

-DL- wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:01 pm Well I know of one charismatic leader that's retiring at the end of the season and will be looking for a new career :eyes:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

smuts wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:05 pm I reckon Starmer will be falling on his sword in the next few days. Honestly, what a plum falling into that trap.
I'd say the Tories are currently ****ting themselves that he's not fined, or else he'll have pulled a blinder by showing them up and will simultaneously make Labour look like the honest, reliable party in face of Tory lies and sleaze.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:32 pm I am sure there was a few of us who didn't comply fully.
What, like when my kids had to miss most of a year of school and sit indoors all day every day? Or when we couldn't visit family at Christmas and were stuck indoors on our own? Or when we couldn't go out anywhere for months and we had the neighbours moan at us because the kids were making too much noise at home because they were bored shitless. Or when Mrs Sendo was losing the plot because she was stuck at home day in day out with the kids and couldn't go anywhere at all? Or when all I could do was work and go home on "dangerous" public transport before vaccines whilst everyone else sat indoors enjoying WFH whilst sniping at it all being the fault of people not wearing their masks properly or something?

A bit like that? :thdn:
sussexhammer74

Post by sussexhammer74 »

EvilC wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:03 pm I'm not sure what you are getting at here. If either bloke gets fined they should probably resign as leader of either party/PM. For obvious reasons it is Johnson who is the clearer case here. That's all there is too it. I'm not proposing a lynch mob or anything.
Johnson didn't resign says more about him and his party than his actions. We will wait for starmer's reaction if a fine is issued and if as promised will fall on his sword. This will be far more damaging to the tories than Labour. Who fills starmer shoes will be interesting?
sussexhammer74

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:58 pm It probably does. Any ideas where that leadership might come from?
From the current pool, no. No I don't.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

sendô wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:16 pm I'd say the Tories are currently ****ting themselves that he's not fined, or else he'll have pulled a blinder by showing them up and will simultaneously make Labour look like the honest, reliable party in face of Tory lies and sleaze.
But they would need a new leader who won't automatically get the trustworthy tag just because the last one quit.

As I've said a few times it shouldn't be up to the politicians to choose, break a law and you should be gone. As that's not the system we have I don't really get what this does for starmer. Either he is fined and is done or he isn't and it's not worth anything.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

-DL- wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:37 pm I'm not going to trawl back through the thread, but somebody asked me last week before I went away, what it would take for me to vote Labour.

Forgive me for not remembering who it was - I would say I've been asleep since then, but I've probably not had enough of it, which may explain it.

Anyway...

First and foremost....
I agree with Brenda ⬆️. Nice tits too!!