The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Re: The Labour Party Thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

Looks like another policy position is about to bite the dust.

He also promised many thousands more police officers yesterday, but £0 to pay for it - it'll be "efficiencies".
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3010 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:32 pm He also promised many thousands more police officers yesterday, but £0 to pay for it - it'll be "efficiencies".
Thought that would appeal to Tory heartland voters.....
delbert
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:32 pm Looks like another policy position is about to bite the dust.

He also promised many thousands more police officers yesterday, but £0 to pay for it - it'll be "efficiencies".
The trans hill was one Sturgeon ridiculously died on, he's been on that bandwagon and nearly came a cropper himself, he's now saw what it done for her and has promptly jumped off. Given the reaction of some of the cranks and freaks in the replies I don't blame him:

"MrFaceRock
@MrFaceRock
Replying to
@YouGov
The rollback of LGBTQ rights for short term political convenience will be looked back on in shame.

The same people funding this hate are now gleefully going after abortion rights and gay marriage too."

This was further down though

If true, that's Izzard's non finest moment viciously torn to pieces by the simple application of fact over bollox:lol:

Edited to add:

He has a habit of forgetting what bandwagon he's previously jumped on, not surprising really when he's jumped on so many in attempts to whore up minority votes. Now he's going after mainstream votes he's keen to drop the dead albatrosses, trans last week, Jamaican criminals this week:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/17503 ... aica-crime

People shouldn't take it personally or care so much, he never did.......
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

The Scottish coalition government is on the brink of collapse over this self ID stuff. The Watermelons are saying they will withdraw support for the SNP if they back down.

The same type of thing will play out down south. Starmer is gradually dumping the policies of the left, so some of the left will end up dumping him.

Not sure he can out-Tory the Tories on their own policy turf and he has so many on the record volte-faces that they will simply paint him as untrustworthy. Wouldn't have worked if Boris was there, but if he's off the scene, that's a different matter.

Starmer must be getting feedback telling him that a lot of Guardian type ideas are toxic with ordinary people.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Starmer tries to ban Corbyn.

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Corbyn won his power base because of the fact he understood that whoever controlled the NEC, controlled the party.

He was a huge fan of it.

I can hardly see how he could criticise it if they off him.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

It's a funny one.

It's possible to see why he would want to stick Corbyn in the attic in terms of the way he is viewed by much of the electorate, but how that will wash with those further to the left who have been eagerly voting Labour under Corbyn remains to be seen.

At some point, I can't help suspecting that there will be some kind of faction that will accuse Starmer of being a Tory.

He's gambling that 'the centre' is a safe place to be, and not 'no-man's land' where you are being shot at from both sides.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Bubbles, the conventional thinking in the Labour party is you can only win an election in the centre.

Starmer is convinced a Corbyn level of leftness is a losing position. So are the policy makers.

They base their argument in no small part on the results last time around.Whether or not that is a valid position remains to be seen, but barring a significant event ( war, revolution etc) I think Starmer will win the next election with Labour, albeit with much of the red wall turning blue.

They've been deselecting Corbynites for 2 years now.
delbert
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Now they've done a number on Corbyn himself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65102128

I doubt the turd will flush quietly into the night though, he'll stick around like a floater stinking up the place.......
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1775 likes

Post by hammers92 »

delbert wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:42 pm Now they've done a number on Corbyn himself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65102128

I doubt the turd will flush quietly into the night though, he'll stick around like a floater stinking up the place.......
Jesus. I know someone very well who worked for him and from what I’ve been told, he’s an absolute gentleman, cares about his staff and guided by doing what he feels is right.

Don’t let that stop the sensationalist stories though.

It’s a stupid decision. Starker has created a question that nobody was asking the answer to.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 1070 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Does he win as an independent?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:57 pm Does he win as an independent?
No: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 70587.html
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

hammers92 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:46 pm Jesus. I know someone very well who worked for him and from what I’ve been told, he’s an absolute gentleman, cares about his staff and guided by doing what he feels is right.
I guess a lot then depends on what you think of his sense of right and wrong. And for me, it leaves rather a lot to be desired.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1775 likes

Post by hammers92 »

EvilC wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:55 am I guess a lot then depends on what you think of his sense of right and wrong. And for me, it leaves rather a lot to be desired.
And that would be fair. Some of the nonsense that gets said about him is exactly that, nonsense.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I'm kind of split on KS taking JC out, without question there are things about JC I do not like, but there are things I do like about him.

KS has made the call, and certainly the right political call (imo) to help Labour get over the line come the next GE. Problem for KS/Labour now is that RS is a grown up and all things considered doing a decent job on the other side, can RS do enough for people to forget the clusterfuck the Tories put us in, probably not, but some people tend to have a short memory.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

hammers92 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:46 pm Jesus. I know someone very well who worked for him and from what I’ve been told, he’s an absolute gentleman, cares about his staff and guided by doing what he feels is right.

Don’t let that stop the sensationalist stories though.

It’s a stupid decision. Starker has created a question that nobody was asking the answer to.
I think this isn't the thing that backfires on Starmer, though - most of those who joined Labour or backed Labour because of Corbyn have already seen enough from Starmer to be vocally against him. Probably just amplifies those people saying that Starmer is Cameron with a red tie and confirms their feelings.

Trouble is, they don't really have anywhere to go as there only Green that probably aligns with those policies that they would support - and they haven't made significant inroads in a vast majority of the country. Be alright if you're in Brighton, maybe Bristol West where they're either first or second. There are a couple of constituencies they got about 15-16% of the vote last time out (Dulwich and Bury St Edmunds). Both of those are, respectively, strongly Labour and Conservative (65% plus of the vote in 2019), so it seems unlikely they'll get the level of swing needed to take a seat in Parliament. Otherwise it's pretty much pointless doing, well, anything other than voting Labour, given that those who will be on that side will most likely fall in the 'anybody but Tory' camp.

I suspect as well there's a whole generation of my age (35) where the Lib Dems burned any stock they had with us in 2010-15.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

But that would really depend on the extent to which Corbyn had a personal vote. He has been the MP since 1983, and was Labour leader for half a decade. I agree that most formerly alinged MP's are probably stunned when they stand as independents and get a few hundred votes, and realise nobody knew who they were. But Corbyn has name recognition that is shared by a small group of politicians in the UK. I'd imagine if he stood his team would be unprecedented in terms of its size. I would expect that for every leaflet dropped by Labour, Corbyn's team would drop two, and for every door knocked on, Corbyn's team would double it. Like George Galloway in Bow in 2005 it would become a bit of a dogfight, but I think Labour could underestimate his ability to rally a team, raise funds, and actually force the issue.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Wouldn't disagree with any of that Hetfield, watch this space, could become interesting.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Het-Field wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:23 am But that would really depend on the extent to which Corbyn had a personal vote. He has been the MP since 1983, and was Labour leader for half a decade. I agree that most formerly alinged MP's are probably stunned when they stand as independents and get a few hundred votes, and realise nobody knew who they were. But Corbyn has name recognition that is shared by a small group of politicians in the UK. I'd imagine if he stood his team would be unprecedented in terms of its size. I would expect that for every leaflet dropped by Labour, Corbyn's team would drop two, and for every door knocked on, Corbyn's team would double it. Like George Galloway in Bow in 2005 it would become a bit of a dogfight, but I think Labour could underestimate his ability to rally a team, raise funds, and actually force the issue.
He has name recognition but whilst some recognise him as the messiah many will recognise him as a useless arse.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 1070 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

EvilC wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:34 am He has name recognition but whilst some recognise him as the messiah many will recognise him as a useless arse.
Who they have elected since 1983 lol. Got to love politics