The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 857 likes
Total likes: 675 likes

Re: The Labour Party Thread

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

old fart wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:49 pm She is probably the most abused female politician for the last 30 years, she doesn't deserve the feral abuse she gets .
I can think of another female politician who has had way more abuse for decades. But she was a right wing Prime Minister, so doesn’t get the same sympathy.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I often wonder how many of these apologies are genuine, especially given the excuses they come out with, and how many are made under instructions from PR wonks, with absolutely zero contrition.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Historically , Jews were persecuted , that is an undeniable fact - in the 1950s Landlords put out signs ' No Irish , No Blacks ' -

Gypsies / Travellers are persecuted still , especially in Ukraine [ how many of you knew that ? ] .

As far as out and out modern day Racism goes I would say Black folk suffer more than Jewish folk especially in the US of A - you cannot hide the fact that you are black for instance - I think this is what Diane Abbot was trying to say and I think that most of you on here know that unless of course you're thick as mince [ which I do not think you are ] - I think some of you here have an agenda towards Ms Abbot similar to how some of us had an agenda with Ms Thatcher , Ms Sturgeon , Ms Patel and now Ms Braverman - Politics is very similar to Footie , it's Tribal and we tend to stick with the same team for life [ apart from those that don't of course ] .
sword
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by sword »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:00 pm Gypsies / Travellers are persecuted still , especially in Ukraine [ how many of you knew that ? ] .
Source?
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1971 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:00 pm Historically , Jews were persecuted , that is an undeniable fact - in the 1950s Landlords put out signs ' No Irish , No Blacks ' -

Gypsies / Travellers are persecuted still , especially in Ukraine [ how many of you knew that ? ] .

As far as out and out modern day Racism goes I would say Black folk suffer more than Jewish folk especially in the US of A - you cannot hide the fact that you are black for instance - I think this is what Diane Abbot was trying to say and I think that most of you on here know that unless of course you're thick as mince [ which I do not think you are ] - I think some of you here have an agenda towards Ms Abbot similar to how some of us had an agenda with Ms Thatcher , Ms Sturgeon , Ms Patel and now Ms Braverman - Politics is very similar to Footie , it's Tribal and we tend to stick with the same team for life [ apart from those that don't of course ] .
I dunno, Tomos. There may be a grain of truth in what she says but that doesn't mean it's not an incredibly stupid thing to say, especially for a politician who must know their days are numbered.

I can't understand the thought process that led her to take time out of her day to write such an insensitive statement and send it to a media outlet. What was she trying to achieve?

She's either thick as mince, mentally unstable or is deliberately trying to be incendiary. Either way, she shouldn't be anywhere near a position of any influence or power. If that's an Agenda, call me Brenda.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 1074 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

old fart wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:49 pm I do listen and try to understand Farage, Tice etc I don't pile personal abuse on him though when I frequently disagree with him, he's not always wrong, neither is Abbott.

In this case Abbott is clearly in the wrong, her use of language is clumsy in the extreme. She is probably the most abused female politician for the last 30 years, she doesn't deserve the feral abuse she gets .
Fair enough

It's not clumsy when it keeps happening. She deserves the abuse when it's justified just like farage, or griffin or Braverman, or Corbyn or a bloke who owns a pub. Abuse is the result of letting people show their true colours I guess. She is racist and gets called on it, I'd rather a more polite way was found of pointing and laughing at racists (one that didn't let those guilty play the victim card) but in the modern world it's abuse.
SammyLeeWasOffside

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:00 pm - you cannot hide the fact that you are black for instance - I
You can't hide the fact you are white from black racists.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:02 amShe's either thick as mince, mentally unstable or is deliberately trying to be incendiary. Either way, she shouldn't be anywhere near a position of any influence or power. If that's an Agenda, call me Brenda.
I think she has earned a living through activism which in the early days was admirable. But having done it for so long and never really having had any competition in her constituency she has become complacent, forgotten why she went into politics in the first place.

As they say power (or perceived power) corrupts.

Personally I think you are right on all 3 counts. She is a bit dim, she is unstable (her narcissism has gone to far) plus she loves to wind people up.

What I find remarkable is you can disassociate yourself from your own comments. How about take responsibility?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Abbott isn't unique. She's a typical part of that 1980s/1990s Labour London cohort.

The things she said are things that many among that generation, and those who have learned from them, will think.

There's nothing even remotely surprising in her holding that opinion, or reading it in the Guardian.
The Old Man of Storr

sword wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:17 amSource?

No one it seems wants to do their own research -

Are you just lazy ?

You don't believe me as nothing bad ever happens in Ukraine ?

Just Google it .

No , forget that , I'll do it for you , hold on a minute.......there you go............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in ... 0treatment.

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2018 ... otten-roma

https://www.csce.gov/international-impa ... ma-ukraine
The Old Man of Storr

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:32 am You can't hide the fact you are white from black racists.

True .

Happened to me once - Liverpool circa 1975 - nothing happened though , they just made us feel unwelcome .
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2699 likes

Post by sendô »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:00 pm As far as out and out modern day Racism goes I would say Black folk suffer more than Jewish folk especially in the US of A - you cannot hide the fact that you are black for instance
I don't feel like what happens in the USA is a fair reflection of western society as a whole. Generally speaking, black people get more positive assistance than most where it might otherwise not be expected. Just look at the media in general - every TV programme, film, advert etc has to have a set quota of black people now. Even in the UK. Despite not even being the largest ethnic minority.

There's a 10,000 black interns programme for getting black apprentices into work. Is there a 10,000 asian interns programme? 10,000 jewish interns programme? How about a 10,000 desperately poor stuck in a broken home with no-one to help them but apparently they've got loads of privilege so they can live off of that white kids programme?

People like Diane Abbott and the BLM crowd continuing to ignore these things and bleat on like their lives are so hard does our society no good, and only creates division.
SammyLeeWasOffside

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:50 am True .

Happened to me once - Liverpool circa 1975 - nothing happened though , they just made us feel unwelcome .
Used to get it a lot working in Manningham. Worst bit was having something poured over the car that took the paint off.
The Old Man of Storr

sendô wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:04 pm I don't feel like what happens in the USA is a fair reflection of western society as a whole. Generally speaking, black people get more positive assistance than most where it might otherwise not be expected. Just look at the media in general - every TV programme, film, advert etc has to have a set quota of black people now. Even in the UK. Despite not even being the largest ethnic minority.

I know , I know , it's terrible , they even had a black kid in South Park.......Token and don't mention that Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air or those Black Panther movies , totally unrealistic .

Every US Police Drama , the Chief is always black . As if ?

We got our own back with Exodus : Gods and Kings though - those tanning salons must have made a mint with that one .
The Old Man of Storr

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:32 pm Used to get it a lot working in Manningham. Worst bit was having something poured over the car that took the paint off.
Clutch Fluid .

Great if you're looking for a bit of revenge .
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2699 likes

Post by sendô »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:47 pm Black Panther movies , totally unrealistic .
A lot of Americans unironically think that Wakanda was/is a real place.

Probably the same ones that think Cleopatra was also black.
SammyLeeWasOffside

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:49 pm Clutch Fluid .

Great if you're looking for a bit of revenge .
That was the stuff :newthumb:

Not sure it was revenge so much as someone saw a white guy get out of the car. Although the safety gear we wore may have been a factor
sword
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by sword »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:48 am No one it seems wants to do their own research -
> I can't speak for others, but I do.

Are you just lazy ?
> Clearly not, see below.

> Staying on subject re: Gypsies / Travellers are persecuted still , especially in Ukraine, it would appear from the research I did that had you written "Gypsies / Travellers are persecuted still , especially in Italy" I would not have replied.
Further...

> Well, since late Feb 2022, plenty of bad things as a result of a Russian invasion, but that's here: viewtopic.php?t=182009

Research:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Romani_sentiment - see graph under Public opinion section
http://www.errc.org/reports-and-submiss ... -in-russia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_pe ... rsecutions
http://www.errc.org/news/another-russia ... om-ukraine
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Hit Sunak with some good shots in PMQ's today.

"Rishi Sunak is so out of touch that he looks at a petrol pump & a debit card like they've just arrived from Mars... "

"They like to pretend it was all just one week of madness last autumn, but the truth is it's been 13 years of failure."

Goaded wee Sunak into bleating about "this non-dom thing" - a line he may come to regret.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »