The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Re: Next Labour Leader

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:10 pm Utter nonsense. Johnson destroyed Labour with a huge majority, delivered Brexit and we became the most vaccinated country in Europe.

Starmer has nothing about him at all to suggest leadership and an electable Prime Minister. He may be a good speaker but that’s down to his law background.
Brexit is done? Why are we still passing legislation and having the government claim it's tearing NI apart?

"Most vaccinated country in Europe"? Nope. https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

All the above, GCRO :newthumb:
plus the two main parties (post Thatcher/Foot... with a short Corbyn blip) essentially moving towards the middle ground... so where have the liberals to go? They're a political irrelevance with a overhyped local section that appears active but in reality is just a dating agency for people who wear slacks.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:10 pm Utter nonsense. Johnson destroyed Labour with a huge majority, delivered Brexit and we became the most vaccinated country in Europe.

Starmer has nothing about him at all to suggest leadership and an electable Prime Minister. He may be a good speaker but that’s down to his law background.
Utter nonsense indeed.

Johnson got a majority through a combination of a lot of people not liking Corbyn, and promising to deliver Brexit - something that 3 years on is still not fully delivered, and has a lot of legislation that the government are now trying to undo.

As others have pointed out, we are not the most vaccinated country in Europe.

Boris Johnson has paid lip service to the role of PM the entire time he has been in office, has lied continuously to the public, parliament and the Monarch, and embarassed this country continually on the world stage through his sheer ineptitude. He has easily been the worst Prime Minister of my life time.

Starmer is a significant upgrade, and would be even if he had nothing about him.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

sendô wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:01 pm Starmer is a significant upgrade, and would be even if he had nothing about him.
Let's face it. A tub of lard would be a significant upgrade to Johnson.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

If the sloppy turd I laid earlier suddenly became sentient, that'd be a massive upgrade on Johnson.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

last.caress wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:59 pm This is somewhat off-topic so I don't want to dwell on it for too long but: Why are they a joke party? I mean I agree that they're a joke and have been for as long as I can remember, but how has this happened? If - and I appreciate I'm generalising here - most rationally-minded people are moderates of either one side of the fence or t'other, why isn't there a centrist party which can reel all of them in and banish the headbangers of both sides to the fringes where they belong? A million years ago the Liberal Party were genuinely electable. A million years ago.

What happened?
The UK broadly has a two party system - FPTP encourages larger parties to get more votes as they have a stronger gravitational pull.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Boris in any job he has had only delivers incompetence

His parlour tricks only work on the weak of mind

Sadly we have too many of them in this country who believe he has done well.

Poor souls.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 460 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:00 pm Boris in any job he has had only delivers incompetence

His parlour tricks only work on the weak of mind

Sadly we have too many of them in this country who believe he has done well.

Poor souls.
Well, that's about 15 million people you've derided in one post. Well done, Mumbles. Well done.

Now, back on track - Starmer - he seems not to agree with you and the striking train drivers either - is he weak of mind as well?

For that matter, is anyone who voted Tory or Labour, or anyone who doesn't back the train drivers walking out weak of mind as well?

FFS.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:00 pm only work on the weak of mind
Your conceit knows no bounds.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:21 pm Well, that's about 15 million people you've derided in one post. Well done, Mumbles. Well done.

Now, back on track - Starmer - he seems not to agree with you and the striking train drivers either - is he weak of mind as well?

For that matter, is anyone who voted Tory or Labour, or anyone who doesn't back the train drivers walking out weak of mind as well?

FFS.
Wow..so many leaps in one post..are you a fictional writer? Impressive work of fantasy there.

As I said bojo is a con man. He charmed his way into office. Many of those who voted for him did so for not like Corbyn or just wanting "brexit done" (which it still isn't)

However ask many of those who voted now their views on bojo it will have changed. Only the few weak minded as mentioned before thinks he has done a good job as pm.

As for starmer if you do a bit of research outside of your right wing bubble starmer didn't sack him for joining a picket.. he sacked him for booking an unauthorised TV appearance and making up a labour policy on the spot.

No people who aren't backing the strikes weak of mind they just don't realise just how bad things would be if we accept what the government is trying to everyone.

As for rich. It's just common sense after working indirectly for him and seeing his blunders first hand .. the night tube rubbish , the garden bridge. Closing all ticket offices after promising them to remain open. That you get a perspective and see through the lies that he was just making again when running for pm.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

And this is why you should never vote Labour ... how any union can affiliate itself with Labour after that is beyond me

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62329521
Last edited by Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny's Dyer Acting

:kumbnew:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:38 pm And this is why you should never vote Labour ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62329521
What's the difference between that and a bunch of billionaire and millionaire donors making veiled threats to Tory MPs thinking of ousting Boris Johnson?

At least those unions represent our friends, family and co workers.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:40 pm :kumbnew:

What's the difference between that and a bunch of billionaire and millionaire donors making veiled threats to Tory MPs thinking of ousting Boris Johnson?

I'd like to know what was going through Starmer's mind when he came to the decision to sack him.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:40 pm

Aside from my current work-place, where it actually seems my subs are worth it, in my experience, the unions have represented nobody but themselves and their cronies.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

in my experience, the unions have represented nobody but the political career aspirations of their leaders. :newthumb:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:00 pm in my experience, the unions have represented nobody but the political career aspirations of their leaders. :newthumb:
Sadly the case with my current union. Still doesn't mean that unions are a bad idea.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Having read and thought about the Tarry situation, prompted by PP's earlier post, I'm less critical of Starmer on the matter than I was in my previous 'less considered' post .
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

OFT wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:23 am Having read and thought about the Tarry situation, prompted by PP's earlier post, I'm less critical of Starmer on the matter than I was in my previous 'less considered' post .
thats the thing there are always two sides to every situation. He broke rules (not the picket) and was sacked. The press went on the picket bit as they always will to paint labour as bad.

its standard.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

mumbles87 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:09 am thats the thing there are always two sides to every situation. He broke rules (not the picket) and was sacked. The press went on the picket bit as they always will to paint labour as bad.

its standard.
The labour left and tarry himself have made capital out of the picket line angle as well to be fair. He said he was sacked for joining a picket line.
Danny's Dyer Acting

Prescott stoked the nonsense as well by giving them the line to compare it to him speaking at a strike in '84 while he was in the shadow cabinet.

Love to see the state of this country with another 13 years of unbroken Tory rule. Crack on lads :newthumb: