Irons Supporting Foodbanks

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

NorthernIron
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Irons Supporting Foodbanks

Post by NorthernIron »

We're just short of £219 to reach our target of £10,000 for Newham Foodbank. Thanks again to all KUMBers and friends who have donated.

I was at the Beckton foodbank on Friday evening to see how they're doing. Now having to give out 7-day foodpacks, with no visit limits (used to be 2 in 6 months, then 3).

They ran out of tinned fish, tinned meat and rice on Friday :eh:
NorthernIron

Post by NorthernIron »

DJ Russ Budden continues with the weekly online fundraiser in support of Newham Foodbank on his MyHammers11 YouTube, Twitter and Facebook streams tonight at 9pm.

Tonight it's the Wheel of Fortune gameshow. There'll be the usual weekly prize draw of a signed shirt plus also this week a signed photo of Declan's celebration after scoring his first goal for the club v Arsenal.

It's just a £10 donation to enter the draw here:

www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ironssu ... gfoodbanks

#onthewayto20k
NorthernIron

Post by NorthernIron »

Latest update:

West Ham United Joint Chairman David Sullivan has personally pledged a five-figure donation to help buy a delivery van for Newham Foodbank, and also for them to stock up on food supplies as the Foodbank heads in to the critical winter period and expected increased demand.

Adeola Osunbade, Trustee at Newham Foodbank, explained ‘Words cannot express our gratitude. Through John from Irons Supporting Foodbanks linking us to Super Fans who truly care and give back, also the support from the WHU Foundation, and to top it up the Sullivan family took time out to visit one of our centres, listened, observed and came back to meet our long - time need for a van to enable us to reach more and serve more of our community members in need of food parcels, especially during this period.’

‘Having their own vehicle is a game changer for the Foodbank’ added John Ratomski, volunteer at Irons Supporting Foodbanks. ‘Without their own transport they were severely restricted in moving food around their various 6 food supply centres in Newham. Having their own van also now allows them to set up and collect from more supermarkets in Newham, in addition to the 3 that currently support them.’
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

I'm one of his biggest critics and in my opinion rightly so and will continue to battr him about his time at our club but , credit where it's due and people can be absolute xxxxx in day to day business but have a genuine heart and goodwill away from it, I dont know the man but do know people who do and they say as much ,

Sadly for him his actions st our club taint this wonderful gesture, but it is a wonderful gesture
umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by umweb »

thought i would bump this thread.

newcastle fans donated to foodbanks rather than PPV for their last match.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... s-19091715
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

umweb wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:21 pm thought i would bump this thread.

newcastle fans donated to foodbanks rather than PPV for their last match.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... s-19091715
Yeah can we steal this idea? I'm not really one for starting campaigns, but it seems like a great way to get donations.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Agreed ... charity rather than PPV is a good idea. Do we have any PPV games coming up?

I wonder what Kumber’s thoughts are on this. I presume it could be setup like a just giving/crowdfunding page.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

pablo jaye wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:25 am Agreed ... charity rather than PPV is a good idea. Do we have any PPV games coming up?

I wonder what Kumber’s thoughts are on this. I presume it could be setup like a just giving/crowdfunding page.
First one will be Fulham 7/11, great idea.
NorthernIron

Post by NorthernIron »

We've joined this campaign #CharityNotPPV.

Newcastle fans are now over £20k in donations to their foodbank, Leeds were up to £4k by yesterday, the Manchester clubs were over £5k 2 days ago. I'm not sure on the current total with Fans Supporting Foodbanks but I've seen many pledges on social media. Both clubs wore the FSF logo on their warm up tops before the Merseyside derby at the weekend to acknowledge 5 years of collecting for foodbanks on Merseyside. Fans there now contribute 30% of the city's foodbank donations. The warm up tops will be auctioned to raise more money for foodbanks.

If you want to donate any PPV money to Newham Foodbank then here's the link, our foodbank friends will be grateful for any donations:

www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ironssu ... gfoodbanks
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Cheers NI for the link.

Mods - would it be appropriate to make this thread a sticky on days when our matches are PPV? That is, if it isn’t already.
umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by umweb »

nice work. thanks for that link. just donated and will tell others.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Good work.

F*ck PPV

:thup:
NorthernIron

Post by NorthernIron »

We've started running our Christmas appeal for Newham kids, here's the text:

Christmas Children’s Advent and Selection Box Appeal

With over 40,000 Newham children living below the poverty line, we are asking for fans and friends, businesses and groups to join us in supporting this appeal by donating at one of Newham Foodbank’s 4 donation centres, or at the Vic Tavern in Plaistow.

If any workplace groups would like to support us in making office collections the Foodbank will be happy to come and collect any donations. Big thanks at this time to Trudi and Woody at the Vic who have already started collecting from their regulars today, and to Neil Taylor for making this happen.

We know more families will be using foodbanks during the next few months and we just want their children to have something for themselves at Christmas. If anyone wishes to make a specific donation for these items through our Justgiving page (www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/IronsSu ... gFoodbanks) please leave a suitable message in the comments section. We will ensure that these monies will be spent on the children.

We hope that together we can make a small positive difference for Newham children this Christmas.

COYI
NorthernIron

Post by NorthernIron »

Our new website www.ironsfoodbanks.co.uk is now live.

Brilliantly put together by KUMB's very own Xander, thanks mate :thup:

Please have a look from time to time for activity updates and new campaigns.

COYI
Surrey Supporter
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Surrey Supporter »

So the government, or Boris, is against helping the most vulnerable kids, yet no doubt enjoys his free / subsidised meals at Westminster.

There is a petition on 38 degrees to end the free meal / subsidised meal for our esteemed political class. The more the merrier.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... work-meals
NorthernIron

Post by NorthernIron »

We're pleased to report that we exceeded our £10,000 target for the Christmas kids chocolates/ #SayNoToPPV campaign this week. Thanks to the many from this site for your contribution which allows Newham Foodbank in Beckton to focus on providing many Newham kids with Advent calendars and chocolates for themselves. We're very unlikely to reach all of the 40,000 kids living below the poverty line but with so many other volunteers working hard on the campaign we'll give it a good go. The Vic Tavern will still be available for any food donations by prior arrangement with Woody.

As part of our aim to work with other problem areas in Newham we're supporting the homeless by providing new clothing to Amy's Space and Lola's Place (both on Facebook). We've also now regular access to donated dog food which both groups and the Foodbank need, and half a pallet-load of tins will be going to the area next week.

Thanks in advance as always for your on-going support :thup:
NorthernIron

Post by NorthernIron »

Thank you to the many who donated to the #NoToPPV campaign. Through fans’ generosity we’ve exceeded our target.

With Newham Foodbank we estimate that they will be able to supply Advent calendars and chocolate selection boxes to 6,000 Newham kids whose families depend on the foodbank during the 5 weeks leading to Christmas. The calendars started to go out last week.

We’re also working with Ambition Aspire Achieve in Canning Town, the Newham Recorder and Irons independent content providers to provide presents for 2,000 Newham kids as part of the 43rd Annual Christmas Toy Appeal, as the Staff Writer featured in the KUMB news article last week.

Finally, everybody’s friend the Newham Bookshop on Barking Road has a Christmas Book Bundle campaign to donate book bundles for local kids who have no books at home. (www.newhambooks.co.uk). We’re giving them our support, Viv would welcome any other donations too.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Well played, NI. :thup:
NorthernIron

Post by NorthernIron »

The AAA Zone and Recorder Christmas Toy Appeal announced today that they have supplied a record 2,869 Christmas stockings for referred Newham children this year, over 1,000 more than in 2019. By agreement with Newham Foodbank we were able to supply the selection packs and also chip in for some of the toys.

Thanks to Hammers fans and friends for for your donations :thup:
NorthernIron

Re: Irons Supporting Foodbanks - Big Thanks

Post by NorthernIron »

Thanks to the KUMBers who donated and allowed us to supply 8,000 Newham kids with chocolate treats at Christmas.

We were also able to make a donation to the AAAzone/Recorder Christmas toy appeal who distributed nearly 3,000 Christmas stockings to Newham kids and 100 Christmas hampers to local families.

We're now able to share some of the thank you's received by AAAzone:

'Many of our children and their families are living in unsuitable housing, having to budget on very little money, being trapped indoors with no access to friends or extended family, especially this year a lot of what gives family and children joy is just not accessible at the moment.
Enabling children and families to enjoy Christmas, to have some wonderful presents to open and something to look forward to on Christmas day will have made all the difference - especially seeing as we have gone back into lockdown; ensuring that Christmas was a happy time will hopefully make the next few months a bit more bearable.
Thank you again, for allowing us to bring some real genuine joy, and warmth and kindness to these families.'
Social Worker

'I couldn't find a card that expressed my gratitude the way I wanted. I need a card that gives you a big hug to show my gratitude for the lovely presents for the children. I have not worked for a while and worried as I don't have money to spend on Christmas gifts and then the surprise made a huge difference!'
Parent with a disabled child

'I love West Ham and I told mum I want Santa to bring me something West Ham and he did! this is the BEST present. I didn't think he would bring me anything this year because mum is busy and because of Covid people can't go outside to get presents for each other.'
Comments from young person receiving gifts

'I have struggled with my mental health this year and to be honest I don't think I have thought about Christmas or presents. To receive this I am very grateful and it has made me very emotional that people are still looking out for each other. It has uplifted me.'
Parent

O - single mum living in poor cramped conditions with her 3 autistic children.
This mother was so very grateful she became upset on delivery and said the "kindness of strangers weighed on her heart".

Thank you the West Ham family :crest: