David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:14 pm I pretty much agree with most of your stuff mate, but not this time. we didn't press all over, they just kept the ball looking for holes. they didn't have their shooting boots on and it wasn't because we limited them to 45 yard hopefuls.

several of our players were not at the races. it looked most of the time like a training match attack versus defence and we hardly got a sniff unless they they lost concentration and gave the ball away in their defensive third.

Bowen, Antonio (apart from the early header) Lanzini were anonymous. Soucek I thought wasn't even on the park at times. Fornals struggled to find anyone wearing the same shirt and it's not like we fought a complete rearguard backs to the wall defending game. not a defensive masterclass at all.

they did enough without extending themselves at all. they had THREE pre season games and the Charity Shield.

imvho that is.
We actually pressed a lot in that game, and the folks over at Analytics United have the stats to back this up. Fornals made 18 pressures of the ball in the game on Sunday and 0 success rate. Coufal 10 pressures, 0 success rate. Bowen 16 pressures 2 success rate. I think it was more City being class on Sunday than us not 'turning up'.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:24 pm We actually pressed a lot in that game, and the folks over at Analytics United have the stats to back this up. Fornals made 18 pressures of the ball in the game on Sunday and 0 success rate. Coufal 10 pressures, 0 success rate. Bowen 16 pressures 2 success rate. I think it was more City being class on Sunday than us not 'turning up'.
Yup. Sometimes when you play a much better team they can make you look bad. There’s nothing wrong with applauding an excellent opponent.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:28 pm Yup. Sometimes when you play a much better team they can make you look bad. There’s nothing wrong with applauding an excellent opponent.
well I suppose my eyes deceived me. what are our normal numbers for pressures I wonder.

as for "not applauding" the opponents really, merely pointing out that I don't think we were that great. the ease that they played the game, with our lack of working the keeper and that I honestly don't think we had to play great defensively they were quite content to keep themselves in front of us, they didn't (eye test only) try that many cutting edge passes and I don't think it was because we were so compact that we never gave them the room to do it.

just an opinion of course, and we all see things differently at times.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:56 am well I suppose my eyes deceived me. what are our normal numbers for pressures I wonder.

as for "not applauding" the opponents really, merely pointing out that I don't think we were that great. the ease that they played the game, with our lack of working the keeper and that I honestly don't think we had to play great defensively they were quite content to keep themselves in front of us, they didn't (eye test only) try that many cutting edge passes and I don't think it was because we were so compact that we never gave them the room to do it.

just an opinion of course, and we all see things differently at times.
The closest thing to City for me is a boa constrictor. They just gradually choke the life out of you. We were nowhere near our best, had personnel issues and they also made tactical tweaks that made it more difficult for us.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:14 pm I pretty much agree with most of your stuff mate, but not this time. we didn't press all over, they just kept the ball looking for holes. they didn't have their shooting boots on and it wasn't because we limited them to 45 yard hopefuls.

several of our players were not at the races. it looked most of the time like a training match attack versus defence and we hardly got a sniff unless they they lost concentration and gave the ball away in their defensive third.

Bowen, Antonio (apart from the early header) Lanzini were anonymous. Soucek I thought wasn't even on the park at times. Fornals struggled to find anyone wearing the same shirt and it's not like we fought a complete rearguard backs to the wall defending game. not a defensive masterclass at all.

they did enough without extending themselves at all. they had THREE pre season games and the Charity Shield.

imvho that is.
Don't really agree, 'Oust - the defence did work hard and kept at it all game. We did threaten in a couple of short phases too, but mostly it was them coming at us, and it wasn't half-cock. We were undone by a keeper who was still cold off the bench, and then by a bit of brilliance by two top players. It took that to seal the game, because just before then we had one of our better spells, and if Dec could hit a cow's arse with a double bass we'd have (undeservedly) equalised.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

-DL- wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:30 am
From the horses mouth.
Its a timely reminder that we are a club in transition (hopefully towards improved position). I tend to agree and support his view and plan, but of course many will not and definately not those who prefer a good conspiracy.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Think we have to take into account the Nobes Factor,for a good few games...at any level of footie,Captains and "Big Characters" are
a miss when not around, changing room as well as pitch...the arm around shoulder, the jokey banter etc..the team will settle and adjust
but will take a while.
Dec Cress,Micky,particuarly gonna miss him.
Saying that, it's no excuse for professional footballers for lack lustre displays...which TBH thought Sunday was.
Forest will be a better test to see where we are.

With the Pressing thing...You have to press as a team,we seem to do it individually,pointless pressing one player if he has a get out
pass or two.
Us and City 2 different types of pressing one works the other doesn't.

Another TBH...if I look at Kurt now I wouldn't be signing him for my team,looks vulnerable,sluggish,maybe all the **** he's been getting,
plus the injury taking it's toll...lucky we have Dec and Tomas giving our our defence some great cover/help, he'll 100% improve tho,soon as we
have a settled CB pairing,when ever the F**k that's gonna be.

Big Supporter of Moysie.....but the 2 to 3 minute substitutions I just do not get...seriously P**sed Yarmo off ,could tell that.
Only point of not giving a player at least 15,is to break a game up or hopefully time waste when you're in front.
Bond Holder 59+
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59+ »

thamesideiron wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:54 pm Think we have to take into account the Nobes Factor,for a good few games...
…and the Pearce going factor as well. He would have been massively respected by the real pros in our squad.
👍
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Bond Holder 59+ wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:59 pm …and the Pearce going factor as well. He would have been massively respected by the real pros in our squad.
👍
Little dicky-bird told me the complete opposite about Pearce...
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

-DL- wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:58 pm Little dicky-bird told me the complete opposite about Pearce...
Julian?
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Diogenes wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:05 pm From the horses mouth.
Its a timely reminder that we are a club in transition (hopefully towards improved position). I tend to agree and support his view and plan, but of course many will not and definately not those who prefer a good conspiracy.
Everything he said in that interview was coherent and consistent with the approach we've seen him take. He clearly knows what he's doing.

Alternatively.........

So much blue colour in that video. He's clearly sending a message to the owners that he's pining for Everton. And did you see the bottle of wine? I have a hunch he's struggling to stay motivated. We should act fast and make an offer to Potter/Cooper/other flavour of the month. And we shouldn't mess around. We need a new manager in before the weekend.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Pete647580 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:22 pm So much blue colour in that video.
You missed it. That was a nod to Sullivan.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

TBH, I didn't learn much that was new from that interview - it was Moyes reiterating the same things he's been saying for a lengthy period of time.

What it didn't address was the back-up plan when the main strategy wasn't working.

That, I think, is what's been a frustration to many people.

People get the idea that we want top 6 standard players and people understand that should we get some it pushes current starters to the bench , thus improving the squad. What it never answered is what you do when you can't secure any. Is changing nothing the right thing to do?

Fast forward a few months from when that happened and the club has missed out on both Europa League qualification and potential Europa League trophy when less of a hard line might have yielded a more positive outcome.

Hopefully, in the goodness of time it will look like a wise decision - but in the short term we've missed some obvious performance targets and goals, and that has put up an obstacle to securing some transfer targets and goals, whilst Moyes is lamenting 'staleness'.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

-DL- wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:58 pm Little dicky-bird told me the complete opposite about Pearce...
Blokes a legend. I personally wouldn’t believe anyone would think otherwise based on a dicky-bird - They can often on here turn out to be lame ducks 😬
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Moyes is right in what he says he wants to do, but I’m not sure he or West Ham are capable of working that way.

We’ve done incredibly well over the last 2 seasons - but we can all see the staleness. The next 3 signings are vital - and given that we are getting further away from our first choice options with each passing day, we are going to end up either with Moyes 4th/5th options, a punt or nothing.

I personally don’t really see any vast improvements coming into the squad in the next 3 weeks. Maybe a few bodies but no more than that.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

ironilunga wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:38 pm Blokes a legend. I personally wouldn’t believe anyone would think otherwise based on a dicky-bird - They can often on here turn out to be lame ducks 😬
You can be a legend and not a decent coach to be fair. Julian Dicks comes to mind.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:23 pm You can be a legend and not a decent coach to be fair. Julian Dicks comes to mind.
Pretty much. Still, others seem to know best from seeing him on the telly box and hearing him on the radio.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:23 pm You can be a legend and not a decent coach to be fair.
The suggestion, from an unnamed source, was that the players had no respect for Pearce. My own preference is to disregard this and instead go with the opinion of our Captain who has waxed lyrical about Pearce’s input as has our manager.

No big deal though.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

ironilunga wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:43 pm The suggestion, from an unnamed source, was that the players had no respect for Pearce. My own preference is to disregard this and instead go with the opinion of our Captain who has waxed lyrical about Pearce’s input as has our manager.

No big deal though.
Our captain isn't going to come out and say he's not a particularly good coach, is he, because he's being professional in his media duties.

Our former captain said in public that the club isn't run like a circus anymore. We all know the truth on that one.