David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Uptonogood247
Has liked: 181 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by Uptonogood247 »

You can say what you like about his time at Man Utd....his performance here has dropped off a cliff from 6/7th to relegation candidates.
CarltonColesLeftFoot
Has liked: 176 likes
Total likes: 318 likes

Post by CarltonColesLeftFoot »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:24 pm The key members were all past it. You may remember desperate moves like bringing Scholes out of retirement. The Rio-Vidic partnership was done, Evra was finished at right back but they had no one to replace him.

Go back and look at their Champions League results in their last few years under Ferguson to see how badly they declined. They replaced Ronaldo with free transfer Michael Owen!
This... the squad that won the league the season before had Scholes and Giggs too.

You can see how we have suffered losing Mark Nobles presence... they lost 2 of them.
CarltonColesLeftFoot
Has liked: 176 likes
Total likes: 318 likes

Post by CarltonColesLeftFoot »

Uptonogood247 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:30 pm You can say what you like about his time at Man Utd....his performance here has dropped off a cliff from 6/7th to relegation candidates.
His performance here took us from relegation candidates to 6th and 7th place finishes and a Europa League semi final.

Yes we are back down in a relegation battle but the way you've worded your post suggests he had taken over a successful team and just brought in a decline.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1951 likes
Total likes: 600 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Takeiteasy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:23 pm You have. We have had actual debates on here. I don’t know why you are so obsessed with what other posters like? I like plenty of posts on both sides of the debate, because like I keep saying, there is middle ground. You/we don’t have to pick one “side” and staunchly defend it.

Where have I said I am happy with Moyes? Again, you’re presuming I am staunchly pro-Moyes purely because I haven’t “liked” your post.
I am just interested Takeiteasy.

If you were made West Ham chairman tomorrow,what would you do?Though tbh,I think it's a bit late now with the transfer window closing.We are not going to change manager now.I just want to see us play on the front foot a bit and not sit back all the time.It's frustrating and you know some of the players aren't happy with it.Is that too much to ask for?
Uptonogood247
Has liked: 181 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Uptonogood247 »

CarltonColesLeftFoot wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:41 pm His performance here took us from relegation candidates to 6th and 7th place finishes and a Europa League semi final.

Yes we are back down in a relegation battle but the way you've worded your post suggests he had taken over a successful team and just brought in a decline.
Nope ...just said he'd dropped off a cliff....never mentioned 1st season
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2071 likes
Total likes: 689 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Tezza65 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:47 pm I am just interested Takeiteasy.
You’re not, because we’ve already had this debate, you just want to point score. :thup:
D C
Has liked: 1122 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by D C »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:07 pm I'm not saying that. In hinsight Moyes made several key mistakes during his time at Old Trafford. Didn't read the room well in terms of his staff, the squad he had taken over from Sir Alex.
My mistake
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:01 pm He got rid of Mick whatever his name was but Muelsteen turned down a job as he felt he should have replaced Fergie.

Fact is, it was an old squad that had been run down over the years. It’s why Ferguson decided to quit while ahead with the title win.
He got rid of Mike Phelan and GK coach Eric Steele and being the snide that he is , he made Rene Meelsteens position at the club so bad that he had to resign after a few weeks Bear in mind that these three were the the architects of prem. titles.Moyes has had the last two years to replace an ageing squad and look at the teams that he's putting out now.Keep us up Moyes and then do one.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

billtho wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:01 pm He got rid of Mike Phelan and GK coach Eric Steele and being the snide that he is , he made Rene Meelsteens position at the club so bad that he had to resign after a few weeks Bear in mind that these three were the the architects of prem. titles.Moyes has had the last two years to replace an ageing squad and look at the teams that he's putting out now.Keep us up Moyes and then do one.
Mike Phelan an architect? As if. Rene got his Premier League managerial gig at Fulham and he was hopeless.

Moyes had offered him the No 2 gig but his nose was out of joint and he turned it down.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:01 pm Fact is, it was an old squad that had been run down over the years. It’s why Ferguson decided to quit while ahead with the title win.
b*llocks. He didn't "quit" whilst he was ahead, like he thought the Squad was beyond help (a Squad with an average age of 26 including Giggs). He retired due to old age and having enough of the game, hence why he never took on another managerial job since.
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:02 pm Mike Phelan an architect? As if. Rene got his Premier League managerial gig at Fulham and he was hopeless.

Moyes had offered him the No 2 gig but his nose was out of joint and he turned it down.
Yes IB the same Mike Phelan who was assistant manager under Fergie from 2008-2013 and won four prem titles out of five.He must have been a load of rubbish cos he didn't win five out of five.For what it's worth l don't even think Moyes lasted a full season there.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:06 pm b*llocks. He didn't "quit" whilst he was ahead, like he thought the Squad was beyond help (a Squad with an average age of 26 including Giggs). He retired due to old age and having enough of the game, hence why he never took on another managerial job since.
Fergie knew exactly how bad it had gotten. There was a reason he warned fans in his farewell speech that tough times were ahead and that they should give the next manager time.

You can dress it up however you want, even argue Man Utd should have been capable of finishing a few places higher, but that squad was garbage compared to what Man Utd fans had gotten used to under Ferguson.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

billtho wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:15 pm Yes IB the same Mike Phelan who was assistant manager under Fergie from 2008-2013 and won four prem titles out of five.He must have been a load of rubbish cos he didn't win five out of five.For what it's worth l don't even think Moyes lasted a full season there.
Phelan’s stint as assistant coincides with a massive decline in the quality of play at Man Utd.

Opinions are hardly glowing here:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mike-ph ... er.447424/

Again, he had his own opportunities in management and has been mediocre at best.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:04 pm Mata?!? The bloke Moyes signed the following January in a bid to arrest the decline?

I find it weird you list Zaha, technically the first signing u under Moyes who barely started and Lingard but fail to mention Januzaj, who actually was a mini sensation that season.

And Van Persie went back to being Mr Crock and he had been their best player the previous season.
It was roughly put up as the squad mostly put together by Fergsuon that Moyes also added too that season like you say Mata, Januzaj. I have no problem adding Januzaj, just that some don't particularly think the likes of Januzaj are top quality that's good enough for them.

The main point being, the Squad as a whole either inherited or added too by Moyes was not only young enough, but it was also good enough to do a hell of a lot better than 7th below Everton and Spurs that season, after winning it the previous 1 at a canter. Then once Moyes left, Man Utd soon returned to winning trophies again under Van Gaal and Mourinho. Moyes was the only one during that period not to win a major Trophy but also failing to qualify for European football altogether.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 522 likes
Total likes: 1317 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

https://www.whufc.com/news/moyes-id-hav ... if-i-could

“If you’re asking me where I think he is, I think he is still off it a little bit, but if I could get him involved, I certainly would because the biggest thing about him is that he’s got a brilliant attitude. He’s willing to run and work for the team and is a real team player, which I really like.

You literally have Antonio as your only fit, misfiring, striker. Get him involved.
Last edited by HammerMan2004 on Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:25 pm It was roughly put up as the squad mostly put together by Fergsuon that Moyes also added too that season like you say Mata, Januzaj. I have no problem adding Januzaj, just that some don't particularly think the likes of Januzaj are top quality that's good enough for them.

The main point being, the Squad as a whole either inherited or added too by Moyes was not only young enough, but it was also good enough to do a hell of a lot better than 7th below Everton and Spurs that season, after winning it the previous 1 at a canter. Then once Moyes left, Man Utd soon returned to winning trophies again under Van Gaal and Mourinho. Moyes was the only one during that period not to win a major Trophy but also failing to qualify for European football altogether.
He’s better quality than Lingard - Lingard didn’t even play under Moyes! Likewise Smalling and Jones were understudies at that point.

You keep going on about winning at a canter, but that was with a fit RVP and Paul Scholes.
Colours never run

You say it like Scholes played a key part in their Title win..

Scholes played in 16 games starting in just 8 scoring once as a bit part player. As for the useless "crock" Van Persie, he played in 21 games starting 18 times scoring 12 goals under Moyes.

And just because he didn't play Lingard as a 20/21yo, it doesn't mean he shouldn't.

Shall we get back to 2023 David Moyes now? I just wanted to burst the myth that the Moyes Squad he inherited was an ageing poor one, even though it had an average age of 26 and had just won the League Title 11 points clear.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1990 likes
Total likes: 4737 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:57 pm A dangerous game bubbles as could be you with egg on your face.

Saying that if we stick with Moyes and he turns it around I'm more than happy to be proved wrong.

At the end of the day we all want what's best for West Ham and I'll want Moyes team to do well every game he's in charge.
It's the existential dread of it all.

Every single thread has at least one "we're getting relegated under Moyes and there's absolutely no doubt about it."

We're definitely in the mix, I think we'll probably be fine, I don't post in every thread. "We're definitely staying up no matter what!"
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:33 pm https://www.whufc.com/news/moyes-id-hav ... if-i-could

“If you’re asking me where I think he is, I think he is still off it a little bit, but if I could get him involved, I certainly would because the biggest thing about him is that he’s got a brilliant attitude. He’s willing to run and work for the team and is a real team player, which I really like.

You literally have Antonio as your only fit, misfiring, striker. Get him involved.
This is pretty much indicative of my earlier point. Some.managers would chuck him in anyway even if they had reservations - they would take the risk.
More cautious managers, of which Moyes is one, would be much less keen to take that risk
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2894 likes
Total likes: 617 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Now I know all about Everton and Manchester United despite the fact that I have f*ck all interest in either of them.
Strange that certain fans can recite chapter and verse about other teams set up but don’t seem to know too much about anything about West Ham pre Moyes.