David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by Kermit »

Tezza65 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:23 pm Here's already at the club,our Assistant Manager Mark Warburton.
God help us if that ever happens.
painter pete
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by painter pete »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:27 am There's a few on here calling for Potter...
Every fan base has an element of followers who don't have a clue.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

painter pete wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:32 am Every fan base has an element of followers who don't have a clue.
:oops:
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

MB wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:11 pm With the good comes the bad…

Moyes is a very good manager, but he is stubborn and loyal to certain players.

I get the frustration, but we know what he is like by now. He has earned time to fix things, but I think this is shaping up to be. the difficult season where we need to support him. I hope we have the collective patience for what’s to come.
Yeah, it's a transitional period and we need a near total rebuild. Most of the team played way above their natural ability for a remarkable purple patch lasting about 18 months and reality is beginning to hit. With the best will in the world, Coufal, Soucek, Fornals, Young Ben, Cresswell, Lanzini, Benrahma etc are not players who are going to be able to sustain a top 6 challenge every year. I suspect we will struggle to a 12th-14th place finish this season. Whether that's good enough for Gollum to keep his job is anyone's guess...
Yolo
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Yolo »

Can't stand Moyes.
Can't do business, miserable man management, no plan B, **** subs, four interviews, etc

Get in Potter
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Yolo wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:03 am Can't stand Moyes.
Can't do business, miserable man management, no plan B, **** subs, four interviews, etc

Get in Potter
Wow.

6 new signings this summer, Rice and Noble on record that the players love him, when we finished 6th we won more points from subs than any other team, interviews? What?

Let's no forget he's had better consecutive league finishes than any manager in our history. Not Premier League history, club history.
We've literally never finished in the top 7 two years in a row, ever.

But yeah let's get proven nothing Potter in, whose teams can't buy a goal. We've scored 20 more goals than them in each of the last two seasons, but hey they pass the ball a lot.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Get in Potter
#BRINGBACKHARRY
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Kermit wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:27 am I know exactly how you feel. Oddly similar to our second game of the 02/03 season. After a decent first Roeder season our first home game was against Arsenal. If I remember correctly we went 2-0 up, missed a penalty which would have made it 3-0 but eventually had to settle for a 2-2 draw. The rest, as they say, is history.

It's an irrational feeling I know but I have absolutely no optimism this season. I think our style has been well and truly sussed and our lack of an apparent Plan B will come back to bit us on the arse. We were unlucky against Forest but that's not to say we were good. They look a relegation outfit in waiting and imo 12 months ago we would have won that game by 4 or 5. We need to address the overall form of the team which has been poor since December last year.
I have zero faith in Moyes at the moment. There are problems in the team and have been since December as you said. A few problems (needing a leftback and a striker he will actually play) are older than that. The fact that he has not properly identified them yet let alone done anything about them fills me with the feeling that many have mentioned. This will be one of those typical West Ham seasons after a few years of success and safety. Moyes deserve stime and has set our hope high with his ways, but his ways are also frustrating as hell sometimes.

Bit more luck versus Forest and maybe well all feel veyr differnetly? True but as I stated, there have been a few problems for some time now and he has done very little to deal with them. Cornet might help when he 'settles' or is 'fit'. We shall see. Would still like to see another left back, a more dynamic midfielder and even one more striker. I think Antonio is shot there. I think Antonio might be shot as a winger even. Slow, stupid and poor from him too often since December. One of the main problems washim being overplayed. Rice and Soucek too.
Cockneynomad
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by Cockneynomad »

Moyes seem to of run out of ideas, not saying to get rid at all but not using your signings right from the off, been awful at buying players
Does he know he isn’t at Man United anymore where he can hope to sign for Fabregas, Kroos, Bale or their equivalents while the players are ran into the ground.

He can’t keep on using Everton as a yardstick anymore verging on 15 to 20 years ago, he needs to use subs more proactively, use a bigger squad
Obviously not expecting to win every match, but it’s disheartening when he doesn’t want to change anything from the touch line
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

The thing with David Moyes is he always been, and always will be, a pragmatic manager. In some respects, which I know will go down like a bucket of cold sick, he actually reminds me of an ego free Allardyce to some extent - by sticking to his tried and trusted players - but the main difference between the two is that on occasions, at least Allardyce tried to mix it up a bit - but Moyes seems stoical in what he does.

Of course, he's made some poor signings, and he of course has to be held responsible for that, but by the same token, he has also hit the jackpot with some - just like all managers.

Whilst his approach to transfers, insofar as he'll only sign someone that improves the starting XI, can be seen as admirable, I do think that even upgrading those to come on from the bench would be a start to improve us as a whole.

His game management, even though he is now the most experienced manager in the league, still sometimes leaves me scratching my head - but like everything, not everything is as black and white, and there have been occasions where he has got it spot on.

He's not without his faults, but very few managers are, and if he was faultless, he wouldn't be managing West Ham United.

I said in the match thread, that already this season has that niggling vibe about it that not all is well in the camp, and it feels like it could be one of those seasons. I don't think relegation is going to be on the agenda, as we genuine are too good for that (I do hope that comment doesn't bite me in the arse come next spring), but I suspect the highs of the last two seasons are nothing but a pipedream at this moment in time.

Hopefully this is a transition season, out with the old, in with the new - but I don't think it should be underestimated the effect of losing Noble is going to have in not only the dressing room, but on the training ground. The loss of a character like that wouldn't be the easiest thing for any manager to overcome, and I include the likes of the top, top managers in that.

If I was a religious man, I'd pray to god that if we don't beat Brighton this week, or we have a poor result on Thursday, that people give Moyes the time to turn it around, and I include both supporters and the board in that - simply because he's earned it.

I think this is going to be a long, hard season compared to his previous two, and how it's dealt with will be a good indication as to how far we've come as a club since he's been here.

Keep the faith.
Noble's Claret Army
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Noble's Claret Army »

Sadly there is a decent chunk of our support who have been waiting to turn on Moyes. I know people who still slagged him off all last season but eventually had to shut up as the success was there. They've been waiting for a dip to pounce on and this could be it coming up if we lose to Brighton. He needs to use subs a bit earlier and learn to loosen the purse strings and he should be our manager for another 5 years at least.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Get in Potter
Four interviews ? Is that per game or per season?
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:27 am There's a few on here calling for Potter...
No one should want moyes sacked yet. But Graham Potter is definitely the better manager out the 2.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Lovejoy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:33 am No one should want moyes sacked yet. But Graham Potter is definitely the better manager out the 2.
He may prove to be in time but:-
Ostersund, Swansea, Brighton jobs .ain't loaded with the expectation that comes with West Ham
IMO of course
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I never wanted Moyes back. I will admit that.

I think he is a top bloke who is very honest and respectful and has certainly done a great job,, despite the fact I don't reallyy advocate his pragmatic and conservative approach nor his wariness to possession football.

I don't want him out, far from it, ad he deserves time to sort things out and oversee the trqnsition, but the facts are we have won 1 league game in 9 (Norwich), two in total in 13 and 7 in 27.

If we don't improve that soon I think his job will be under threat (rightly or wrongly) and his stance on only buying players to improve the first team will look a bit foolish
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Lovejoy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:33 am No one should want moyes sacked yet. But Graham Potter is definitely the better manager out the 2.
It's far too early to claim that.

I like Potter but he's essentially achieved nothing in his career so far, and Moyes keeps finishing above him. If they swapped clubs I'm certain that Brighton would still beat West Ham, it's just what they do.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

OFT wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:41 am He may prove to be in time but:-
Ostersund, Swansea, Brighton jobs .ain't loaded with the expectation that comes with West Ham
IMO of course
He loses his best players but noting alters for them, they play the same no matter who they play. You can’t not admire the football play.

I don’t want moyes sacked but I think potter is the better manager that’s all
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I think Chiggers was a lot more right than wrong with his comments (insight?) about the club's recruitment this summer.
Gazmundo
Has liked: 286 likes
Total likes: 425 likes

Post by Gazmundo »

To everyone calling for Potter to replace Moyes - it is well documented that Brighton have very shrewd and supportive owners. I wonder how Potter would perform with GSB at the helm. The jury is still out for me.

Moyes has enough credit in the bank to rebuild the squad even if this year has a few bumps on the road. The Aguerd injury was very unfortunate and will cost us a few points I fear. He has also just brought in Warburton which implies he is interested in playing in a different way and so perhaps the intention is to have a Plan B.

Sadly I fear in an era of 24/7 news and fans with no patience/clue the Moyes out brigade will get louder and louder. It doesn't help when certain Youtube influencers constantly has digs and slates the manager. One in particular who used to back Moyes is clearly still holding a grudge for the Brighton game at the end of last season and not signing a striker in January. I just hope players aren't affected by impatient fans who are not willing to tolerate a bumpy transition year.