David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

CarltonColesLeftFoot
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by CarltonColesLeftFoot »

Whilst I disagree with Romford_Irons delivery - I think its a fair point.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

There is no real historical comparison or way of us knowing how much of an achievement getting to the Conference final is as it’s two years old so I don’t really get the people making out it’s something huge, we don’t really know yet IMO

Moyes has done an excellent, excellent job in Europe in both seasons though so i’m not taking away from that. Not just getting us so far in both campaigns but also the squad management. Getting out of both groups without really breaking a sweat with a lot of back up players shows great reading of the opposition and again knowing when to start playing the first team at the right time.

I may not like the style for much of it but if we end up with a trophy then it’ll all be worth it
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I’ve noticed Moyes mention at least once if not twice now, after Sir Alex, the manager who he admires the most is Jose Mourinho. Always “finding a way of winning”. Watch in his post match interview on the pitch after the win at Alkmaar. That’s what he said around 3 minutes in. He’s starting to think like a “winner”, as that’s what winners do. The performance is secondary when it comes to competing for trophies. As long as you find a way of winning. If you do it in style, that’s an added bonus.

Fans can forgive or even forget a bad performance as long as you get the win. I don’t sit there and think how we didn’t play well in the 2012 Play-off final. I think of the wonderful memories, such as Vaz Te’s last minute goal, seeing my team lift a trophy in Wembley for the first time in my life, the atmosphere from our fans, and all the celebrations after that. And vice versa, we can talk about how well we played in the 2006 FA Cup final all we want, but at the end of the day all people really remember is what team’s name is on the trophy. Unfortunately it wasn’t ours.

When I saw how Moyes celebrated the last 2 goals in the home game against Gent and the late goal in Alkmaar, alongside the celebrations at full-time, that didn’t just look like a man who was just celebrating any ol’ goal and win, it looked like a man who defeated someone in a fight, but enjoyed every single minute of it. Like an apex predator who has caught his prey and was loving every mouthful.

He is more determined than ever to win a major trophy. And I don’t think he’ll ever be completely satisfied with his overall managerial career until he has done so. Hopefully on the 7th June he’ll finally get his hands on one.
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

From the guiness book of records:

"The most victories in a single season of a football European club competition was 15 by F.C. Porto in winning the 2011 UEFA Europa League championship. It marked Porto's second-ever UEFA Cup victory.

"Os Dragões" bested the previous mark of 13 held by Barcelona in 2002-03."

So West Ham are in the top three this season, whatever happens in the final.

Our UEFA points this season is 29 at the moment, same as Real Madrid and Inter Milan. The only club in Europe doing better is Manchester City with 31.

These are real achievements in my opinion, and I don't understand why the manager is getting stick.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

1 of the biggest compliments I could give Moyes is taking European football seriously and have always stated how well he's done. Some other Clubs like Spurs more recently in this competition haven't and so they've missed out on the chance of achieving winnable silverware they say they crave so much for. And I also think it's right to say the quality of our football in Europe has mostly been quality over the course of both seasons, if not the quality of opposition this season which I don’t blame us for having to face. Should we win the ECL Cup Moyes will quite rightly deserve all the credit and praise for it as Fiorentina are no mug side to beat in the Final, with a near perfect record to get there.

For me the domestic form and how we've generally played was always a separate issue and made that distinction clear off the back of our biggest ever spend and the players now at his disposal including at least 1 World Class star, possibly more. I always strongly believed from the start of the season that this Squad is an excellent one and shouldn't be fighting a tough relegation battle that only really ended 3 games before the end. With the long World Cup winter break and long European break between the group stage and knockout rounds too, I didn't think just avoiding relegation with 3 games to go and early Cup knockouts playing the football we did was acceptable.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Not just the European cups but the domestic cups too. We generally give them a go under Moyes, last 3 years in the FA cup we go out in the fifth round, twice to Man Utd and once to the Saints. League cup, ok this year was bad, out on pens to Blackburn in the 3rd round, but previously going out to spurs in the quarters and Everton in the 4th round.

Semi finals of the EL beating Lyon/Sevilla on the way. Now in ECL final. All I ever ask of a WHU manager is to build something that oozes excitement or at the very minimum some grit and passion with some cup runs. He's doing that so far for the most part.
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 509 likes

Post by Ding »

Have always given him benefit of the doubt and still do despite some weird ass decisions this season. Ultimately, he has to be judged on results, and if I'd been asked at the beginning of a transitional season (with a massive influx of new players) if I'd take mid table and a European final, I'd take it - as would most on here if they were honest.

He's done good.

That's pretty much all there is to say.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

One of the Moyes out brigade since before world cup.

Since then we have got to a European Final AND stayed up.

Although I'm not totally convinced on his approach he totally deserves a decent crack of the whip next season whether we win the final or lose.

I personally am giving him a blank canvas from here on. If we don't win in Europ I will expect a pretty good start without the distraction of Europe.

But please, please, please let us be distracted by yet another European adventure.
Gazmundo
Has liked: 286 likes
Total likes: 425 likes

Post by Gazmundo »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:35 pm I personally am giving him a blank canvas from here on. If we don't win in Europ I will expect a pretty good start without the distraction of Europe.

But please, please, please let us be distracted by yet another European adventure.
Well you've got Sully to thank for a pre season tour of Australia which isn't exactly the best preparation ahead of the new season.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:35 pm One of the Moyes out brigade since before world cup.

Although I'm not totally convinced on his approach he totally deserves a decent crack of the whip next season whether we win the final or lose.
They have revoked your membership :crylol:
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

D C wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:58 pm There is no real historical comparison or way of us knowing how much of an achievement getting to the Conference final is as it’s two years old so I don’t really get the people making out it’s something huge, we don’t really know yet IMO
You only need to see the Roma celebrations, and the Fiorentina celebrations in getting to the Final to see it’s a big deal.
Barking Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Barking Iron »

I think Moyes success next season will depend on keeping the soucek , Rice , Paqueta midfield in tact we could potentially have two world class midfielders on our books next season. Paquetas form in the last two months might have made Declan think twice about moving soucek dropping deeper has made him more effective In games.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

carnage wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:29 pm You only need to see the Roma celebrations, and the Fiorentina celebrations in getting to the Final to see it’s a big deal.
Absolutely. Not sure why people are looking down their noses at this tournament. For a huge chunk of my life there have been 3 European competitions. This is one of them, yes its the '3rd class' tournament but still a major prize. I'm desperate to win it, we all should be.
Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 545 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

Other team scoff at us whilst secretly wishing they were in our shoes ,the punch bags of Europe especially.
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

I remember seeing quite few posts/comments earlier on in the season from fans belittling the conference league. Some even saying we should just write it off because the league is more important.

Haven't seen so many recently though. Perhaps they've all rightly been sectioned under the mental health act.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

The Straw wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:38 pm I remember seeing quite few posts/comments earlier on in the season from fans belittling the conference league. Some even saying we should just write it off because the league is more important.

Haven't seen so many recently though. Perhaps they've all rightly been sectioned under the mental health act.
I think some,(including me)of us worried that being involved in a relegation scrap and in a cup competition could see us end up us going down.

I agree,for many,fans to win a trophy and get to a final was what we all dreamed of,but to get relegated,it would have damaged the club big time.

I would admit I dissed the CL,but am so pleased we are in the Final on June7th.

I am not one of Moyes greatest fans,but he does take most Cup competitions seriously and gets a huge tick from me for that.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

He's here next season, isn't he.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:16 pm He's here next season, isn't he.
And so he should.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

I wanted him out for large parts of the season. But he deserves to remain our manger for the start of next season. Purely for getting us into a European final.

However, I would say he starts next season on thin ice, if we start badly. He should go - I hope that’s not the case.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:24 pm I wanted him out for large parts of the season. But he deserves to remain our manger for the start of next season. Purely for getting us into a European final.

However, I would say he starts next season on thin ice, if we start badly. He should go - I hope that’s not the case.
I agree. None of us know what the future holds but that’s for next season.

We’ve got a final to win, let’s focus on that, and knock this on the head for a bit.