David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by Diogenes »

I tend to be phlegmatic about pre-season. I have seen enough good pre-seasons followed by relegation and enough poor followed by a good season.

What is certainly true is that our 'attacking' ability hasn't improved and getting Scamacca match fit cannot come soon enough (and hopefully some others). I am less concerned about us defensively, as many are on here, than our attacking prowess. If we lose many early games it will not be just down to Creswell. Indeed, at the moment, without further signings up front, his abilities from an attacking perspective would be sorely missed.
Gazmundo
Has liked: 286 likes
Total likes: 425 likes

Post by Gazmundo »

To everyone slamming Moyes for having a poor transfer window.

A - there's a month left (yes ideally all of our business would be done before the season starts but that rarely happens due to the protracted nature of getting deals over the line, unless you pay over the odds for players). Plus many of the best players will wait until the end of August in order to get the best possible deal
B - ask yourselves how the window is going for our main challengers Man U, Moneybags Newcastle. Leicester, Brighton etc.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:09 am Odd take on this window. He's signed two definite starters (three in my opinion) and still has a month of the window left to go.
But we're only seven days from the season starting. He's had a long time to identify targets (From January). Our business should be well and truly done by now.....or close to being done.

I do wonder if he has a little sulk on for not getting Lingard. I reckon he wanted him badly, and would have paid the extra wages being as it was a freebie transfer.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:30 am But we're only seven days from the season starting. He's had a long time to identify targets (From January). Our business should be well and truly done by now.....or close to being done.

I do wonder if he has a little sulk on for not getting Lingard. I reckon he wanted him badly, and would have paid the extra wages being as it was a freebie transfer.
You're not being realistic. Look around the league, it's probably only Liverpool who would say they are done. If the richest/most attractive sides in the world are still trying to get their deals done then it's insanity to think we should be any different.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Fine balance right now. Aguerd ( fit) & Scamacca start and improve us, add a quality left back and pacy wide forward we go up again, stick in an Onana or Sangare ( or that Fofana we saw against us yesterday) and our passing improves. Bring in those extra 3 and it’s 5 new starters, the keeper position is covered, and Downes & Ashby add youthful back up. That’s quite a transformation and should reverse the second half slump of last season when we were lower mid table in the form rankings. Cresswell, Antonio, Ogbonna, Benrahma etc mixed with a few rising youngsters gives us a far stronger bench.
We need to accept we aren’t getting CL superstars, but we can get very good “ nearly there” players to improve, as with Aguerd and Scamacca. Bring in 3 more like that over the next week or 2 and we can push for 5-8th and Europe again, don’t and we will slide to mid table and lose Rice and Bowen by this time next year.
Gazmundo
Has liked: 286 likes
Total likes: 425 likes

Post by Gazmundo »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:30 am But we're only seven days from the season starting. He's had a long time to identify targets (From January). Our business should be well and truly done by now.....or close to being done.

I think you and many others really don't appreciate how hard it is to sign players. Downes was the exception but signing most other high calibre players is very complex and time consuming. There are many parties involved and clubs often won't let a player go until they have identified a replacement (bit like buying/selling a house). Often players and agents stall in order to get as many options as possible. Two clubs, the player, player's family, player's advisors, sponsors, agents etc. It's really not as simple as you think.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Gazmundo wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:46 am I think you and many others really don't appreciate how hard it is to sign players. Downes was the exception but signing most other high calibre players is very complex and time consuming. There are many parties involved and clubs often won't let a player go until they have identified a replacement (bit like buying/selling a house). Often players and agents stall in order to get as many options as possible. Two clubs, the player, player's family, player's advisors, sponsors, agents etc. It's really not as simple as you think.
It's the same for every club though isn't it?
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

Gazmundo wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:22 am To everyone slamming Moyes for having a poor transfer window.

A - there's a month left (yes ideally all of our business would be done before the season starts but that rarely happens due to the protracted nature of getting deals over the line, unless you pay over the odds for players). Plus many of the best players will wait until the end of August in order to get the best possible deal
B - ask yourselves how the window is going for our main challengers Man U, Moneybags Newcastle. Leicester, Brighton etc.
A month ago there were 2 months left
CarltonColesLeftFoot
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by CarltonColesLeftFoot »

BondsoBob wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:17 pm It's the same for every club though isn't it?
yes it is... why?

I agree though, you look at Joules Kounde to Chelsea and Frenkie De Jong to Man Utd and you realise how easy signings are at the top end of the table.
CarltonColesLeftFoot
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by CarltonColesLeftFoot »

billtho wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:23 pm A month ago there were 2 months left
and in that month we've got Scamacca & Downes over the line. In two weeks, there'll be two weeks left too.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

billtho wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:23 pm A month ago there were 2 months left
Good calendar work. We've signed Scamacca and Downes since then, add another two this month and things are looking better, more than that fantastic.

But ask yourself, was Bilic a bad manager when he spent barely anything and brought in free transfers like Feghouli, Fletcher, Zaza and Nordtveit? Was Pellegrini a bad manager when we signed one big money player in Haller then signed cheap punts like Ajeti?

Or is there some other common denominator in our managers and their slow transfer windows?
BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob »

CarltonColesLeftFoot wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:27 pm yes it is... why?

I agree though, you look at Joules Kounde to Chelsea and Frenkie De Jong to Man Utd and you realise how easy signings are at the top end of the table.
I actually meant the logistics as pointed out by Gazmundo are pretty much the same for most clubs I believe.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:29 pm Or is there some other common denominator in our managers and their slow transfer windows?
:chin: ...let me think...
Bubbles Fortuna

Albie Beck wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:31 pm :chin: ...let me think...
Between Dithering Sam, Dithering Slaven, Dithering Manuel and Dithering Dave I can't spot the pattern.
BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:33 pm Between Dithering Sam, Dithering Slaven, Dithering Manuel and Dithering Dave I can't spot the pattern.
:crylol:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:02 am Where has he been after the last two games? Appeared frustrated and angry after Rangers, then McKinlay speaks after Luton and now Nevin spoke after Lens today.

:arry:
Pretty sure Pearce and Irvine did it in previous seasons
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

This might explain the performances - he's been driving them too hard and they're all knackered! :)

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... s-27622201
Bubbles Fortuna

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:26 pm This might explain the performances - he's been driving them too hard and they're all knackered! :)

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... s-27622201
Conte gets praised to the moon for having his players vomitting on the side of the pitch, Moyes gets called 'old school', which is really just a polite way of saying 'dinosaur.'
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

To be fair, it was just an informal chit chat... the little insight into pre-season training from Declan Rice can be seen here:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

You can only do business if the other side is willing to sell. There is a lot of playing chicken at this stage of the window. Teams want to get the best money for their players.