David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by Colours never run »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:06 pm CNR, this is an internet forum, pinning people down to your point requires , at times considerable skill, but can mostly be solved by accepting another persons view for what it is: their view.

This is a place for people to express their opinions, they are under no obligation to defend it or justify it.
Got no issue with that, when they play with a straight bat and was more than content had they disagreed. Avoiding a straightforward yes or no to a simple question by purposely going around the houses will irritate though.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:39 am. Avoiding a straightforward yes or no to a simple question by purposely going around the houses will irritate though.
Other posters are under no obligation to answer a question from you, and frankly, when framed in a binary way, why would they ?
Its the very definition of trying to put words in their mouth, and a touch rude.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:58 am Other posters are under no obligation to answer a question from you, and frankly, when framed in a binary way, why would they ?
Its the very definition of trying to put words in their mouth, and a touch rude.
Of course they don't but I think it's a touch rude to avoid a straightforward question. I offer others the same courtesy.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3052 likes
Total likes: 2693 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:04 am Of course they don't but I think it's a touch rude to avoid a straightforward question. I offer others the same courtesy.
Your questions are framed and often times not straightforward. You're trying to make a point with those questions instead of getting into an open debate. That also comes with dismissing arguments on a regular basis and instead calling them "(cheap) excuses" etc. .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Enough now.

Back on topic please. :newthumb:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:04 am Of course they don't but I think it's a touch rude to avoid a straightforward question. I offer others the same courtesy.
I can only give you my view CNR, but those questions feel like bear traps. I said before that your posts come across (whether your intention or not) to “win” the point rather than discuss the point. If someone posts something, backed up by data or analysis to contradict your point then you pivot the argument and come back rather than, seemingly, taking it on board.

I’m as guilty as most on here of being blinkered on certain topics, but I do try and keep an open mind and not run a point to death.

You post some excellent points and I fear you are in danger of those getting lost.
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 449 likes

Post by Hamburger »

DublinDave wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:11 pm This is why I'd like us to try a 352 formation,
Kehrer Oggy/Zouma Aguerd
Coufal, Rice (DM), Paqueta, Fornals, Emerson
Bowen Scamacca.
Love that Dave. It will never happen under Moyes but it gets my juices going, although I'd have Rice next to Emerson and Fornals in the centre.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Hamburger wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:49 am Love that Dave. It will never happen under Moyes
Why not? We've played 3-5-2 at times this season, not for long granted but it's been there and fitness allowing that's not far off the first XI he's been picking recently?
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Hamburger wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:49 am Love that Dave. It will never happen under Moyes but it gets my juices going, although I'd have Rice next to Emerson and Fornals in the centre.
Tell me with a straight face that Moyes would not be derided for picking a team with two attacking players if that team sheet came out at 2pm on a Saturday.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2751 likes
Total likes: 1781 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Hamburger wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:49 am Love that Dave. It will never happen under Moyes but it gets my juices going, although I'd have Rice next to Emerson and Fornals in the centre.
I take it you meant Rice & Paq as the 2 with Fornals as 10, that would work against so called "weaker" teams alright once we get our mojo back in full force.
To get the best out of Scamacca, we certainly need 2 up top, Bowen can play the Raspadori role with Ings & Antonio to come on around the 60-70 minute mark against tired defenders.
It could mean carnage for the opposition should we get it right...
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

DublinDave wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:37 pm I take it you meant Rice & Paq as the 2 with Fornals as 10, that would work against so called "weaker" teams alright once we get our mojo back in full force.
To get the best out of Scamacca, we certainly need 2 up top, Bowen can play the Raspadori role with Ings & Antonio to come on around the 60-70 minute mark against tired defenders.
It could mean carnage for the opposition should we get it right...
When Ings is up to speed he is a better option than Scamacca for me. Certainly in the short term.
DublinDave

Post by DublinDave »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:38 pm When Ings is up to speed he is a better option than Scamacca for me. Certainly in the short term.
Scamacca needs game time to get fit & used to the league. We spent 35 mil on him, he's the long term option & needs to play.
He needs to adapt & the best way for him to do that is in a 2. If he still doesn't perform to expected standards in his best position then he needs to be sold in the summer so we don't waste our time or his & get a decent price.
Ings is there as reserve if Scamacca turns out crap.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

DublinDave wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:04 pm Scamacca needs game time to get fit & used to the league. We spent 35 mil on him, he's the long term option & needs to play.
He needs to adapt & the best way for him to do that is in a 2. If he still doesn't perform to expected standards in his best position then he needs to be sold in the summer so we don't waste our time or his & get a decent price.
Ings has double the amount of league goals in roughly the same number of games this season. I would go with whichever one is more likely to get goals, first and foremost.
DublinDave

Post by DublinDave »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:08 pm Ings has double the amount of league goals in roughly the same number of games this season. I would go with whichever one is more likely to get goals, first and foremost.
That's the sort of short term thinking that costs this club millions in transfer losses every season.
Hopefully Moyes sees the bigger picture...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

DublinDave wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:04 pm Scamacca needs game time to get fit & used to the league. We spent 35 mil on him, he's the long term option & needs to play.
don't see anywhere to be honest, that Moyes ever goes with 2 up top

very few managers in the league do, and Moyes is more pragmatic than most. and if the expansive managers don't do it, I just can't see any possibility of it happening unless it's late on and we're chasing the game.

he "might" get players closer to Scamacca but I can't envision any scenario except the one above that we see Ings/Antonio up top in a 2 with Scamacca.

Moyes initially said that the reason he didn't start right away, apart from not be match fit, is that the team needed to learn a "new way" to play to accommodate him. to be honest, whenever he DID play, except the limited Euro games where he played with Cornet, I couldn't see any different method of playing at all.

none.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

DublinDave wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:11 pm That's the sort of short term thinking that costs this club millions in transfer losses every season.
Hopefully Moyes sees the bigger picture...
Thing is, when you look at his career stats Scamacca doesn't look to be any great shakes. They certainly don't stand up to Haller's, and he also struggled in this league. The thing the both have in common is they are slow, whereas speed seems to be one of the most important attributes in the PL. Hopefully he can improve, but to me Scamacca looks like someone more suited to the continent.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:38 pm When Ings is up to speed he is a better option than Scamacca for me. Certainly in the short term.
If that is the case, why did David Moyes spend £30m on Scamacca ?
DublinDave

Post by DublinDave »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:13 pm Moyes initially said that the reason he didn't start right away, apart from not be match fit, is that the team needed to learn a "new way" to play to accommodate him. to be honest, whenever he DID play, except the limited Euro games where he played with Cornet, I couldn't see any different method of playing at all.

none.
Aguerd once again pivotal in this "new way".
A defence capable of playing a high line allows forward players more freedom higher up the pitch.
Scamacca isn't a lone striker & I very much doubt he ever will be. Unless we get players closer to him he's a fish out of water.
Who knows what will happen, but as I said earlier, play to his strengths, or sell him.
Sick & tired of square pegs trying to be forced into round holes...
Imo of course...
DublinDave

Post by DublinDave »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:20 pm but to me Scamacca looks like someone more suited to the continent.
We agree on this point.
He's young & can either adapt & improve or be filed under the other 55 strikers we've had at West Ham in the last 13 years.
He isn't going to improve or adapt sitting on the bench, if he was a Moyes choice, he needs to play & perform or the manager looks like a numpty.
We shall see, Ings on the bench is the safety blanket...
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:24 pm If that is the case, why did David Moyes spend £30m on Scamacca ?
Because he was available.