David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by Ozza »

I think your all getting confused, it’s what the chairman and the board want
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3020 likes
Total likes: 2676 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Proper clickbait headline to get a toxic vibe. No problem in resting Coufal/Paqueta/Zouma on Thursday nights ahead of big PL fixtures the next Sunday and play Johnson/Lanzini/Thilo or Ogbonna instead. No problem with some sort of rotation.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Believer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:57 am Win tomorrow and I think we definitely win on Wednesday. However, any dropped points tomorrow and I think we will struggle the rest of the season.

I think that tomorrow is psychologically huge for the manager, players, club and supporters.

The question is, does DM send the team out to win from the off or does he go cagey, worrying about JWP ?

This could be viewed as Moyes’ most important game in his recent managerial career. So much is resting on this.

Come on Moyes - show us what you’re made of !
He needs to go for it.

It’s obvious he has set us up to take the point in quite a few games since Christmas, banking that we could string a couple of wins around about this time of the season and pull ourselves away from the drop zone.

Well now it’s crunch time David, and those games we need to win are here and now. No hiding anymore.

He has put himself in this position by his own negativity since the turn of the year.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

MB wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:54 am "This time last year, when we had games against Seville and Frankfurt, we needed our best teams to win."
https://www.football.london/west-ham-un ... n-26609136
Well that won’t be a problem this season then. We’re currently 18th in the table. So what even is our ‘best teams’? :D

To be fair I don’t think Moyes will sacrifice the Europa Conference unless things got even more serious in the league. Whether he is good enough as a manager to win it is a different debate, but I honestly believe he will give it a go.

If he did throw away a chance of silverware though just to worry about staying in the league then personally I will 100% be done with Moyes.

I am not one of the lucky fans who was around when we last won our major silverware and I made it perfectly clear on this forum I’d happily go down if it meant we won a major trophy. I didn’t support the club for what league we played in. As far as I am concerned being in the Premier League is just an added bonus. But to be in the highest league, which gives you a chance of having more quality in your playing staff, why not go for silverware? What’s the point being in the Premier League just to make up the numbers?

Make history, win a trophy. That’s what creates legends, makes memories that’ll last a lifetime. Not finishing 15th in the league.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

So the truth is that it could have an effect
Damning negativity there from the dinosaur.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3086 likes

Post by MB »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:34 am Proper clickbait headline to get a toxic vibe. No problem in resting Coufal/Paqueta/Zouma on Thursday nights ahead of big PL fixtures the next Sunday and play Johnson/Lanzini/Thilo or Ogbonna instead. No problem with some sort of rotation.
Yes that is why I didn't post the twitter link, just the quotes from Moyes and a link to the article.

His comments though are, IMO, too negative.

I have no problem with what you have posted above in terms of approach and there is a positive way to set that out.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I would say we have more of a chance of winning the ECL if we don't play all the League regulars anyway

Players like Lanzini are much more suited to Europe than others and bringing in fresh players who are not emotionally/mentally/ physically drained from the league is sensible

I have no idea why Moyes can't be more positive with the narrative he conveys and turn it into a positive that we need to use the squad rather than so defeatist qbout it
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3020 likes
Total likes: 2676 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

MB wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:59 am Yes that is why I didn't post the twitter link, just the quotes from Moyes and a link to the article.

His comments though are, IMO, too negative.

I have no problem with what you have posted above in terms of approach and there is a positive way to set that out.
Don't see any negativity. And tbh. I would hope that we don't stop rotating the squad if its necessary. Either because of fitness issues or to keep the squad fresh physically and mentally. That's why we have a bigger squad than the last few seasons right now.

But we also know who are fixed starters and who a fixed backups. No problem in Moyes being honest.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I don’t care about the actual sentiment, but the man has got to learn what his words mean and how they’ll be taken.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:35 pm I don’t care about the actual sentiment, but the man has got to learn what his words mean and how they’ll be taken.
Words in print can be read both ways. I think he's trying to be positive without sounding out of touch with the reality of the situation.

I'm really hoping I'm one of those being taken the mickey out of my previous criticism of the manager and we easily stay up and get the cup.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:35 pm I don’t care about the actual sentiment, but the man has got to learn what his words mean and how they’ll be taken.
I think he knows what his words mean. And why should he give a flying f*** how a few hundred on Twitter want to take it?
MB

Post by MB »

Albie Beck wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:59 pm I think he knows what his words mean. And why should he give a flying **** how a few hundred on Twitter want to take it?
Because it is part of and reinforces the narrative that he is dour Dave.

If he is saying that to the press when all the media training etc should kick in then what is he saying behind closed doors?

Just as easy to say

"Need to balance the two as ideally we want to do the best we can in both. I trust the squad and we've shown in Europe that we can bring players in and get results which gives us a platform we can work with even as the quality of the opposition improves."

"Clearly the league is very important financially to the club but I believe in the squad and that whoever I pick can deliver in either competition."
Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck »

But why should he have to choose his words to assuage us poor delicate flowers?

And how do we know that his message isn't intended for an entirely different audience?

We don't know is the answer. None of us do. So why anyone at all should believe that we are getting any part of a "narrative" totally beats me. It's random speculation at best.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

Albie Beck wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:16 pm But why should he have to choose his words to assuage us poor delicate flowers?

And how do we know that his message isn't intended for an entirely different audience?

We don't know is the answer. None of us do. So why anyone at all should believe that we are getting any part of a "narrative" totally beats me. It's random speculation at best.
Yup we also have no idea what he says to the players behind closed doors…

He’s been banging on about wanting to win a trophy for ages I can’t see him binning Europe off
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Manager in stating the obvious shocker! Fact is, the “European team” should be good enough to beat the next opponents. We got a good draw which gives us more leeway.
MB

Post by MB »

Albie Beck wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:16 pm But why should he have to choose his words to assuage us poor delicate flowers?

If you don't read those quotes and see someone getting their excuses in early then you are a more forgiving person than I am.

It is negative and defensive. Same way he has been on and off the pitch all season.

I'm not expecting Pardew style cult leader quotes. Just not EMO band lyrics all the bloody time.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1363 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

MB wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:08 pm Because it is part of and reinforces the narrative that he is dour Dave.

If he is saying that to the press when all the media training etc should kick in then what is he saying behind closed doors?

Just as easy to say

"Need to balance the two as ideally we want to do the best we can in both. I trust the squad and we've shown in Europe that we can bring players in and get results which gives us a platform we can work with even as the quality of the opposition improves."

"Clearly the league is very important financially to the club but I believe in the squad and that whoever I pick can deliver in either competition."

Rightly or wrongly I don’t think he worries too much about what we think, or perhaps more accurately just ignores 99% of criticism.
MB

Post by MB »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:37 pm Manager in stating the obvious shocker! Fact is, the “European team” should be good enough to beat the next opponents. We got a good draw which gives us more leeway.
But you are missing the point. It is like his tactics, the "what" isn't the problem, it is the "how".
Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck »

MB wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:37 pm If you don't read those quotes and see someone getting their excuses in early then you are a more forgiving person than I am.
What's forgiveness got to do with it? Or anything?

If he wants to utter bland nothings and not give anything away why should we instead expect to be treated to his inner musing? Why does he have to keep us fed , hanging on his words (an taking offence at everything we don't like the sound of)? It's very strange, needy behaviour imo...
1895Hammer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:38 pm Rightly or wrongly I don’t think he worries too much about what we think, or perhaps more accurately just ignores 99% of criticism.
Quite...
Has liked: 4526 likes
Total likes: 1529 likes

Post by Sticky »

Just watched his Presser. Wish I hadn't now.

Dave's lost his mojo.